Alucab Hercules Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

I’m currently speaking with the guys at Alucab in SA about supplying a Hercules RTT for my impending Troopy, here in Dubai.

I want to find people’s opinions of the conversion, from the perspective of delivery condition, ease of fitting, quality of materials etc.

It’s a huge amount of money to drop, especially considering delivery, and the total lack of support from Alucab here in the UAE, should anything be wrong. I’d hope their QC be up to scratch, but want to check from people who have had their products across the world feel about the delivery condition etc.

Any runs in paint, any snags in tent material, any waterproofing issues?

I’ve seen lots of videos about how easy and quick they are to fit, so that’s not a massive issue, but I do want to check on adhesives considering the summer temperatures here can reach 50ºc plus!

Opinions appreciated, especially if there’s another option for kit based RTT for local fitting. I did like the Maltec system, but I can’t deliver the car to Germany for fitting, then ship it back to Dubai.

Thanks.

They are surprisingly easy to fit, although there are some tricks to it and the brackets that hold down the inside edge should have slotted holes from the factory. The finish is excellent. No problems with the adhesive as long as it's actual Sika product. I will say that their design does really limit the use inside without the top up. Have you tried asking Tom's Tom's Fahrzeugtechnik if they would sell just the roof system on it's own and ship it to you?

They are surprisingly easy to fit, although there are some tricks to it and the brackets that hold down the inside edge should have slotted holes from the factory. The finish is excellent. No problems with the adhesive as long as it's actual Sika product. I will say that their design does really limit the use inside without the top up. Have you tried asking Tom's Tom's Fahrzeugtechnik if they would sell just the roof system on it's own and ship it to you?

I love the camper backs for the Single and Double cabs. I could still switch to the DC pick up and have something like that on an extended chassis, but again it's local fitment only by Tom's - no shipping. I guess they make most of the money on the labour, rather than the parts.

Does anyone recognise this roof conversion?

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-29 at 21.03.39.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-29 at 21.03.00.jpeg

A couple more images. It looks like it may be locally produced here in Dubai. Alloy construction, similar to Alucab. Organised to go and see it on Saturday. Local cost c. $6k US.

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-29 at 21.03.40.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-29 at 21.03.41.jpeg

Went to see this conversion today, and got to admit, it's impressive.

The roof is manufactured locally in the UAE. It's an alloy box frame and clad, similar to the Alucab roof, but keeping some of the original Troopy lines, which the Alucab roof is sorely missing.

The bed is a pop-up inside of the roof, so you still get the extra headroom when inside.

I haven't got any details of the weight yet, but everything seems extremely well thought out, taking the cues from the Alucab, but with some more thought.

The only thing I don't like is the front hinges. They're billet metal and seem to be solid - no lateral movements from the pivot, but I guess I'm used to seeing a more robust piano type hinge the width of the roof of the Alucab. I also don't like the fact there isn't some kind of shade over the end window. Speaking with the team who produced this one, they're open to making it fit my spec, which is nice.

Does anyone have nay recommendations where to look for different hinges for the width of the tent, mounted inside?

A full width hinge is far better the only those 2 on the picture.
I must stress that from a structural view the metal full width hinge is the best option , use only heavy duty SS.
But ....consider also waterproof problems !
With that hinge there is No protection , you must make a inside protection , and it is not easy .
I have used Japanese aluminum rubber hinge , just to make my life easier !
Not easy to find but does the job very well .
Can't find the name just now .

Bye Renago

A full width hinge is far better the only those 2 on the picture.
I must stress that from a structural view the metal full width hinge is the best option , use only heavy duty SS.
But ....consider also waterproof problems !
With that hinge there is No protection , you must make a inside protection , and it is not easy .
I have used Japanese aluminum rubber hinge , just to make my life easier !
Not easy to find but does the job very well .
Can't find the name just now .

Bye Renago

Hi Renago,

Thanks for the input. I have been looking at full length hing options, but also some sort of two part rubber seal to waterproof the outside, especially when travelling in rain.

It's not much of an issue here in the middle east, where we do really see rain, but when I come to take it either down to Salalah in Oman, or back through Europe, it will be required.

I'll have a look for the rubber hinge.

Plan consider rain = dust , sand , humidity.
If I can find the waterproof hinge , will post the link .

Bye Renago

Can you help with providing the name of the local Dubai manufacturer of the RTT in photos? Maybe phone # or address.
Thanks, and you a great build BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom