Aloha! New Member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aloha FJ80 gang,

I have been a long time lurker, and finally got a chance to own a FZJ80. I use to wheel a pathfinder probably 12+ years at this point ago. Then got into Rally and track days. Had kids, and after a cross country road trip with the family, my wife gets my love for adventure.

I have my "new to me" 94 FZJ80, named Clifford the big red truck (daughters idea). 215k miles, and fairly well sorted, and came with a massive book of receipts. The plan is simple, weekend rig to get my wife comfortable with wheeling. I plan to add a Dobinson lift, and a lunch box locker, as well as some sliders. I have Corbeau Moab's coming in, as my seats are toast. Baselining is almost done, and it made a 6 hour drive with 0 issues.

I do have one question for the group, my rig came with a rear swing mounted spare. Was that a common thing? I only saw those on VX's when I was stationed in Japan, or the FJ70's when I was over seas.

Look forward to learning and growing.

Mahalo Gang!
IMG_8775.jpg

IMG_8687.jpg

IMG_8689.jpg

I do have one question for the group, my rig came with a rear swing mounted spare. Was that a common thing?
Pffft.
Yeah, pretty common.
Not near as cool as a modern rear bumper, so hit me up when you decide to replace.
Nice rig.

I had a beat up qx4 (like pathfinder) in college years before my first LC as well. Youve got a very sharp rig, and I'm incredibly jealous of the rear tire if it's the factory style!!! When I traded from a fj60 to my 97 (sadly before the 60s were worth a down payment on a house), I made sure to get one with plenty of service history and im glad I did. Congratulations on the clean purchase!

Let's see some more photos of those seats that are "toast." Cloth seats are in pretty high demand and I bet you can get some good money for them even if they're not in great shape.

Love that your wife likes the adventure. :)
My :princess: is also my wheeling :steer:buddy. Sometimes she gets out and walks on the sketchy stuff, but we're working on it. LOL
Good looking rig!

Congrats on the new cruiser. Beautiful color! Let’s see a picture of the rear swing. That is not an option on US spec 80s.
IMG_8791.jpg
IMG_8792.jpg

I am still looking for a replacement fender hahaha.

Let's see some more photos of those seats that are "toast." Cloth seats are in pretty high demand and I bet you can get some good money for them even if they're not in great shape.
IMG_8793.jpg

The driver side has 0 foam. The passenger is mint. It feels like I'm falling forward constantly.

What the heck did Toyota make those covers out of? For how blown up the foam looks, the fabric looks really good. Definitely an item that a fellow mudder would buy.

What the heck did Toyota make those covers out of? For how blown up the foam looks, the fabric looks really good. Definitely an item that a fellow mudder would buy.
Seriously I have had a few old Toyota's with 200+k miles. Foam is GONE, but the fabric is 100% fine. I do not understand that witch craft at all. Depending on space in the garage with another car I'm restoring, they might go up for sale, if someone is interested.

What's the story behind this cruiser? Where did it come from? And plenty of people will want your seats. I want them; my leather is blown out.

Where are you in the US? I hope you're on Oahu :)

View attachment 2894818

The driver side has 0 foam. The passenger is mint. It feels like I'm falling forward constantly.

Very easy to replace the foam. The fabric looks great.

What's the story behind this cruiser? Where did it come from? And plenty of people will want your seats. I want them; my leather is blown out.

Where are you in the US? I hope you're on Oahu :)

It was a family rig out in PA. Apparently it basically lived within about 3 different people in the family or close to it. The original owner had passed away, and it sat. The guy I got it from picked it up because it was his brothers neighbor and they brought it back to life. He got a new Tundra and apparently was told by the minister of finance to remove a car. This got put on the chopping block. The mount for the spare tire carrier looks the original bracket broke and they ghetto rigged a new attachment, as everything is very original expect that one part.

I was on Oahu for almost eight years. Had to leave because everything was getting expensive. My wife's a local and I'm from the 9th island originally.

Very easy to replace the foam. The fabric looks great.

Oh wow, this does look stupid easy. Also had no idea they still had the foam hahaha. I'll have to talk to my parts guy when I pick up my parts Thursday.

Welcome. I'm a fellow medium pearl red owner! I'll take that front seat shield cover next to the broken seat lever.
Depending how things go, I'll let you know!

I haven't seen many pearl red LC's. There are like 3 FJ80's around me, and all are white.

You should fix it like the others have said. You can get a new handle for that (part 72526-10041-22) for around $10.
Minister of finance allowed the Moab's to be purchased. If they're not comfy i'll do the foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom