Air Spring Sag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After pouring over the multiple threads on here about the rear suspension sag that happens in the GX470s (I have an '07) I have found a lot of useful information!

But one thing I haven't been able to figure out is, why my rear bags only seem to leak when they are on the NORMAL height setting.

Over the past week I've been putting the suspension in HIGH, pushing the 'heigh control off' button and leaving it over night. When I come out in the morning there is no noticeable sag. But as it automatically reverts back to normal when driving, when I park at work and come out at the end of the day, it's very obviously drooping in the rear.

What would cause it to leak in the NORMAL, but not in the HIGH, suspension setting?

It is a crack in the bag that only gets to the sweet spot to leak at normal height. High probably seals the rubber enough to not leak.

I have same issue..... Only one side sags, and only in normal. Compressor working overtime. Hope I can replace soon.....

Ok good (well not good) but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. I've ordered replacement bags but for some reason the passenger side bag keeps getting removed from the order..

I should just do a coil conversion but I just don't have the time to research it.

The conversion is easier than replacing the bags

Will a leaking bag cause the rear ride to bounce and buck over bumps while driving on highway/freeway surfaces? Our ride seems to bounce all over the place in the back. Kids getting sea sick.

Right before mother in law gave us our GX, she took it to the Lexus dealership and had everything serviced (as she thought she was going to keep it for longer) they must have missed the air bags- confirmed with mother in law that the sag has been going in a while. I guess I can fix as the ride was free, but dang dealership, how'd you miss it?

The conversion is easier than replacing the bags

What is the standard conversion? I'm not looking to lift the GX yet. I just want something that will feel like the air springs I currently have.

and.. if possible... something that takes advantage of the adjustable damper.

Everything I've found on here seems to focus on getting a lift out of the suspension.

At this point I'd prefer to do the coil conversion as I'm finding it impossible to locate a passenger side air spring. I've found a couple of cheap sets on amazon, but they aren't from Lexus.

Has anyone replaced their air springs with some lower priced ones? if so, what was your experience? What was the brand you went with?

I found these on another thread: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CW6IBU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_swofAbRHA8T2H?tag=ihco-20 but these have to go inside a spring. What spring are people using for this? Is the spring bolt in? Or do you need a conversion kit?

Last edited:
You can use 4Runner springs from the same years (03-09) and get a conversion kit from MT or SSO and do the swap in about an hour. Should net the same height with the SSO (they have a spacer that raises it up).

What is the standard conversion? I'm not looking to lift the GX yet. I just want something that will feel like the air springs I currently have.

and.. if possible... something that takes advantage of the adjustable damper.

Everything I've found on here seems to focus on getting a lift out of the suspension.

We had a set of moog 81045 springs in before we lifted ours, and it put it just about at neutral height:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMHDWO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you remove the airbags you loose height control (H-N-L), but you'll retain the comfort/sport suspension adjustment as it's built into the OEM struts (assuming it's still working).

You can use 4Runner springs from the same years (03-09) and get a conversion kit from MT or SSO and do the swap in about an hour. Should net the same height with the SSO (they have a spacer that raises it up).

I've been getting my hands dirty in dumb 80s cars and old Volvos for years, but I'm new to the truck stuff.... what is MT and SSO?

We had a set of moog 81045 springs in before we lifted ours, and it put it just about at neutral height:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMHDWO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you remove the airbags you loose height control (H-N-L), but you'll retain the comfort/sport suspension adjustment as it's built into the OEM struts (assuming it's still working).

But if I add the air-lift 1000 air bags in the springs i'll retain the ability to at least lift the rear end correct?

I would think you’d want an isolators on the top of the coil too. Anyone know if there are isolators that don’t also include a spring locator (it’ll get in the way of the airbags).

I see things like this, but they seem to be meant for the axle side of the spring.

FJ-RCSI - Urethane Coil Spring Isolator Pad

I've been looking for a generic upper isolator for doing conversions on the cheap and haven't really found much. I know Moog and Energy Suspension make some but I can't find measurements for Moog's isolators and ES's are not a large enough OD.

I have found OME rear trim spacers sold by Toytec which sit inside the Toyota isolator. They may not have a snug fit on the ID but the OD is correct and they should not "slip" out or anything since they have a part the protrudes in the center. I may go this route when I get helper bags and sell my Toyota isolators instead of cutting them up.

I've been looking for a generic upper isolator for doing conversions on the cheap and haven't really found much. I know Moog and Energy Suspension make some but I can't find measurements for Moog's isolators and ES's are not a large enough OD.

I have found OME rear trim spacers sold by Toytec which sit inside the Toyota isolator. They may not have a snug fit on the ID but the OD is correct and they should not "slip" out or anything since they have a part the protrudes in the center. I may go this route when I get helper bags and sell my Toyota isolators instead of cutting them up.

What is the OD for the MOOG springs? I haven't quite found the proper specs for neither the 81405 nor the 81081.

Ok so in case anyone was wondering and looking for P/Ns this is what I've ended up ordering and hopefully will be installing between now and the end of thanksgiving weekend.

Springs: Moog 81045 and Moog 81081
  • Two schools of thought here. 1) softer and longer springs for a little more lift and a cushier ride. 2) Shorter and stiffer for more stock rake and slightly better feel when towing.
Spring Insulators:
  • UPPER: Moog k160061 (x2) --> These fit just over the outer diameter of the spring and still have a hole in the middle to run the stock airline through to the airlift bags

• LOWER: SSO GX470 AIR TO COIL SPRING CONVERSION KIT. --> Hopefully I can use the spacers provided with the shorter and stiffer Moog spring to create the mildest of rakes in the GX.
Spring Helpers: AIR LIFT 60809
  • The idea is to run the stock lines into these spring helpers and retain the auto-leveling and high inflate features.

Have you installed this? I would like to know how the setup worked for you and which springs you went with. I am doing this this weekend and about to order parts.

What springs did you end up with and how do you like them? I have them both in my cart and need to make a decision. I am leaning toward the 81045's because of the smoother ride and I am normally not loaded up. What type of lift over stock height did you get if any?

Are the moog k16061 a replacement for the $70-80 dollar stock top insulators but without the built in bumpstop? I am not going to be running the spring helpers because I don't tow much at all, so I think I can get away with those moog insulators vs the stock versions. Any input on this would help as well.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom