Air filter for really fine dust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's the best air filter for a very dusty environment with very very fine dust? Playa dust, in case anyone's familiar with that. It's not very abrasive, and not that bad for the lungs, but is pretty much the finest naturally occurring substance I've ever run across.

I'm thinking about a two stage system - an oiled foam filter inside an airbox fed by another oiled foam filter. What do people who know what they're doing do?

The engine is a 2F - not high performance.

I should add, playa dust is silt from (long ago) dried lake beds. It causes frequent total whiteout dust storms.

HEPA filter system will take the partcles out of the air. Make sure it has a large breathing area so the engine can still properly breath. The big problem is operating under those conditions will clog any filter that actually removes the particles from the air.

You may wish to look at the engine air filters used on diesel farm tractors. Most are cleanable by blowing out with compressed air. Will they take out that fine of dust, I don't know.

Here in Australia A tophat venturi style head for a snorkel are commonly used when in the outback as the bulldust is as fine as baby powder but only usfull if you have a snorkel. Guess you could use a similar principal on a air filter box.

I ended up building a 3 inch pipe system for a snorkel getting it all from the Home Depot plumbing supply. I'm running a top hat from a local company out here called Catapillar on the top of the snorkel. I remove the K&n of that was up there about a year ago but I'm running a k&n filter at the enclosure on my carb. I used to run some of the washes out here and it's not real dusty as your dust that fine of a particle but both filters help. I think there's also a top snorkel filter called a tornado

You need to make sure when you build your system for your 2F that your drawing in enough cfm of air or it's not gonna die on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom