Ahh geese..- Oil leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sound like dropping the tranny is easier than dropping the oil pans :-\
All it takes is a tranny jack. It was a flat on my back job in my garage with ramps and jack stands.

On a side note, I was going to drop the oil pans to fix my front arch leak but it look like alot of work ::)
I will find some SUPER Sealent to glob on the leak to delay the fix :eek:

Landtoy80,

Hmm.. So what you're saying is the retainer can be removed from the tranny side and resealed?

I guess it'd be smart to go ahead and replace the rear main at the same time. I browsed through the tranny removal before when I thought it was the rear main leaking, -looked kind of scary. You don't think it's that bad of a deal though?

I could rig something to lift the engine, if all I had to do was remove fan and shroud and was comfortable there's enough play in everything else so I wouldn't screw anything up. C-Dan, you sure there was nothing else you had to unhook. Everything else (tranny, gear shift linkage, motor attachments etc) would just ride up with it? Inch or two all that's needed?

Thanks,
Rookie2

R2,

You need to remove the fan, clutch, shroud, battery and battery tray, upper radiator hose, bypass hose and front engine mount lower nuts. I had some other stuff undone as well but it was not because the engine needed to be lifted.
I had the lower radiator hos off as well but I think you could leave it attached. I raised the engine about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. The engine mount studs just barely cleared the holes in the frame. I left the air intake hoses for the Supercharger connected and did not mess with any linkages. In a naturally aspirated engine you may want to remove the air intake hose, particularly if it is old and brittle.
As mine does not have a crank position sensor, I don't know if the engine would need to come up any further to clear one. If it did, it would not be much.
The important thing is to pay attention to the engine as you lift it and look for stress points.

D-

Rookie2 Yes,the seal can be removed with or without removing the retainer. But you should/must remove the retainer or you might have to do the job again.
To remove raise the motor, you would think that you would have to loosen the tranny mount and any or all things mounted to the frame or cab???
Why kant you use the hook on the motor and use a hoist or a hand winch in the rafters?

I hope the oil pans are not as hard to remove as the oil pan on the FJ60. The way to remove the 60 pan is to rip it off and get a new pan.

The tranny removal is a big job but can be done by yourself in a garage with a full sizes tranny jack.

I did not touch the transfercase mount.

Kurt's idea would work but you may need to remove the hood to get a vertical pull on the lifting eye. I would not want to try it with the hood in place.

53301-60250, $407.24, IN PRIME.

I was thinking a couple ganged up 2x4 columns each side of the vehicle with the top ends clip angled to the the ceiling to stablilize them. Then run double 2x6's across the vehicle, thru bolted to columns. Big ass plate washer, threaded rod, and hook, and wrench it up kind of like your home-built engine bar setup.

But if the tranny drop is do-able, maybe makes since to go that route and change out rear main at the same time instead of the other route and hoping main seal is not my leak.

C'dan - I tend to gather you're in the parts business. What do you sale, and do I need to go through you for this kind of stuff,- FIPG, gaskets, rear main seal etc.?

Thanks again,.. again
Rookie2

With the tranny off, you kan replace the PPH. I didn't replace mine as I "knew not of it" when I dropped the tranny, both times :(

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=9327;start=msg82797#msg82797 date=1072911496]

C'dan - I tend to gather you're in the parts business. What do you sale, and do I need to go through you for this kind of stuff,- FIPG, gaskets, rear main seal etc.?

Thanks again,.. again
Rookie2
[/quote]

:D Parts manager, Toyota dealer. Been in the new car dealer parts business for 33 days shy of 25 years. 18 years with Toyota.
I haven't decided if I like it yet, I may go back to school next quarter :rolleyes: .

C'dan,

How do I contact you for parts? Better off to go with the dealer down the road for the smaller stuff? Side question - Just bought a new Toyota oil filter (the bigger one - P.N. 15600-41010). Maybe seems like the preference among the majority here is for the smaller one. Should I go back and exchange for smaller one? P.N.?

Landtoy80,

PPH? Is that regarding resealing the retainer?

Thanks guys,
Rookie2

R2,
PHH = Pesky Heater Hose. There are volumes written about it and the effort to replace. It is a 2" long, 5/8" straight piece that is in an inaccessible location and has been known to fail at the most inopportune times. The prudent replace it in their driveway and ask the wife (nicely) to assist. Small arms and hands helps with the PHH.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9327;start=msg83275#msg83275 date=1073012025]
R2,
PHH The prudent replace it in their driveway
-B-
[/quote]

I guess I am not a Prud :D as I haven't replaced mine yet :-*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom