AHC LED switches to low mode while driving! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all

At the beginning I wanted to say hello and greet owners of land cruisers

I own HDJ100 since 3 years, its a ca from 2003. The problem, which I will describe began to appear with the last trip. I packed the car for the trip to the ceiling, but I do not have in the car any modifications (steel bumpers, fuel tanks, winches, etc.) have original suspension. According to the specifications of the car, you can load up to 540 kg. I estimate that the luggage myself and my wife and dog, do not weigh more than 400 - 450 kg. Nevertheless, while driving not immediately but after an hour or two ride, on the dashboard LED from neutral position becomes the position of the low! The sensations of driving remain the same, suspension technically does not decrease significantly as the in LOW position. Sometimes after restarting the engine LED returns to normal, sometimes not. After trying to raise the suspension, suspension refuses to obey - is in position low or at best neutral (diode on dashboard), does not want to go in the high position. (He tries to get up but then falls back)

Once the situation has worsened, and after driving 10 km the car slipped into the position LOW (LED and suspension) AHC on the dashboard showed off and blink and the feeling of driving were as I jumped on the fitness ball , auto bounce on each smallest inequality, practiccaly impossible to drive.

After unload and without passengers suspension works normally,
My question is whether these are normal symptoms of some kind of overloading the car?
Are these signs of spoiling suspension, which already can not handle even with less weight and so it shows
Has anyone had a similar situation?
I will be grateful for your help, don't have idea what to do..

Regards

Garry

And this is my car ... :)

DSC_8774.jpg

I did experience something similar in my '07 last summer when I had loaded the tongue of a trailer very heavy with fuel and water. The dash light would show "low" but I didn't notice that it was actually lower than normal. I read here after that that when the vehicle is extra heavy the light will change to low or will blink when the AHC system is not able to continue adjusting due to weight. It is a visual indicator that the hydraulics are't working and that any dampening is being done by the springs only. I wish I would have bookmarked where I read that but alas did not.

How much weight your AHC system will handle depends greatly on what condition the system is in. If you've never serviced the fluid or checked the numbers from the diagnostic software I'd recommend doing that to determine how its doing. This thread here is a good one that talks about AHC and what numbers from diagnostics you ought to be seeing and how to service the system.

On a side note, where in Spain are you located? From the picture I'd guess northern Spain? Galicia, Pais Basco, Asturias perhaps?

Last edited:
Hello all

At the beginning I wanted to say hello and greet owners of land cruisers

I own HDJ100 since 3 years, its a ca from 2003. The problem, which I will describe began to appear with the last trip. I packed the car for the trip to the ceiling, but I do not have in the car any modifications (steel bumpers, fuel tanks, winches, etc.) have original suspension. According to the specifications of the car, you can load up to 540 kg. I estimate that the luggage myself and my wife and dog, do not weigh more than 400 - 450 kg. Nevertheless, while driving not immediately but after an hour or two ride, on the dashboard LED from neutral position becomes the position of the low! The sensations of driving remain the same, suspension technically does not decrease significantly as the in LOW position. Sometimes after restarting the engine LED returns to normal, sometimes not. After trying to raise the suspension, suspension refuses to obey - is in position low or at best neutral (diode on dashboard), does not want to go in the high position. (He tries to get up but then falls back)

Once the situation has worsened, and after driving 10 km the car slipped into the position LOW (LED and suspension) AHC on the dashboard showed off and blink and the feeling of driving were as I jumped on the fitness ball , auto bounce on each smallest inequality, practiccaly impossible to drive.

After unload and without passengers suspension works normally,
My question is whether these are normal symptoms of some kind of overloading the car?
Are these signs of spoiling suspension, which already can not handle even with less weight and so it shows
Has anyone had a similar situation?
I will be grateful for your help, don't have idea what to do..

Regards

Garry
Garry
This is normal operation and is a result of your rear neutral pressures being to high when unloaded and at N height. What happens is the high, out of range, neutral pressures combined with the pressure associated with supporting your cargo/passengers is exceeding the design threshold - it is in effect overloaded. To regain full load capacity you need to get your neutral pressures (both front and rear) back to optimum. Torsion bar adjustments for the front, new coils for the rear and pressures tuned with Techstream or an iCarSoft 905. Have a read of the the thread "definitive list of ahc maintenance items" start at the end and work back as it's very lengthy. Key words to search are techstream and neutral pressures.

Last edited:
On a side note, where in Spain are you located? From the picture I'd guess northern Spain? Galicia, Pais Basco, Asturias perhaps?

hello nnnnnate, photo was taken in Spain, but in the south in the Sierra Nevada, during my holiday time. Thank you for the advice and informations.

Garry
This is normal operation and is a result of your rear neutral pressures being to high when unloaded and at N height. What happens is the high, out of range, neutral pressures combined with the pressure associated with supporting your cargo/passengers is exceeding the design threshold - it is in effect overloaded. To regain full load capacity you need to get your neutral pressures (both front and rear) back to optimum. Torsion bar adjustments for the front, new coils for the rear and pressures tuned with Techstream or an iCarSoft 905. Have a read of the the thread "definitive list of ahc maintenance items" start at the end and work back as it's very lengthy. Key words to search are techstream and neutral pressures.
Thank Paddo after your answer I have great confidence what to do. I look through forum thread you mentioned. Thank you again

Thank Paddo after your answer I have great confidence what to do. I look through forum thread you mentioned. Thank you again
And if you figure out which springs you will mount in the rear, I am very curious which ones it will be....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom