AHC Accumulator Removal - Quick and Dirty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud,

I recently removed the accumulators on my '99 LX to make room for Metal Tech Land Cruiser Sliders. The top bolts on the accumulator assemblies were damn near impossible to get to and even when I got the wrench on I may have gotten 1/16 of a turn on the bolt head. I ended up removing the 2 lower nuts, and they used a pry bar to break off the part of the assembly casting that is held on by the top bolt. I made a quick video on the method so I wanted to share this for anyone looking to remove the system. Since my accumulators had failed, these assemblies were trash and there was no need to carefully remove them.

I'll be doing this soon. I gave up after removing the lower bolts and the damn thing didn't move. I assumed there was a fastener up top. Breaking stuff is good for keeping me sane as well.

I'll be doing this soon. I gave up after removing the lower bolts and the damn thing didn't move. I assumed there was a fastener up top. Breaking stuff is good for keeping me sane as well.

Damn right! Felt good to break those things off after trying the wrench for about an hour. A couple beers later and the pry bar/persuader usually makes an appearance.

Those are actually the Actuators (AKA Globes) you showed in your video. How did you get the Accumulator out? It's the longer tank on the driver's side, between the front and back Actuators. I was able to get all the Actuators out (very difficult). But had to call it a night last night with the Accumulator.

Those are actually the Actuators (AKA Globes) you showed in your video. How did you get the Accumulator out? It's the longer tank on the driver's side, between the front and back Actuators. I was able to get all the Actuators out (very difficult). But had to call it a night last night with the Accumulator.
Good to know the correct terminology. Most folks on here call them accumulators. I used a ratcheting wrench on the accumulator bracket bolts that are on top of the frame. You’ll get 1/16 of a turn so it just takes a while. I also cut the hydraulic lines with a reciprocating saw and bent them out of the way.

Last edited:
Good to know the correct terminology. Most folks on here call them accumulators. I used a ratcheting wrench on the accumulator bracket screws that are on top of the frame. You’ll get 1/16 of a turn so it just takes a while. I also cut the hydraulic lines with a reciprocating saw and bent them out of the way.

For the Actuators/Globes (the parts in your video), we used a ratcheting wrench on them as well. Are you saying you also were also able to get a ratcheting wrench on the Accumulator top bolts? That's what I'm having difficulty getting to.
(see image from this post for clarification)

@perryazevedo been a little while since I did this so I went back to my videos. I actually was unable to get a wrench on there and turn the accumulator bolts. What I did was removed the bottom bolts and then used a pry to bend the accumulator up. That gave me enough access to get a reciprocating saw with a metal blade in there to carefully cut the bracket without hitting the frame or floor. Once the accumulator was out of the way I removed the bolts and remaining piece of the bracket with a ratcheting wrench. Sorry for the confusion, had to think back again on what I did.

@perryazevedo been a little while since I did this so I went back to my videos. I actually was unable to get a wrench on there and turn the accumulator bolts. What I did was removed the bottom bolts and then used a pry to bend the accumulator up. That gave me enough access to get a reciprocating saw with a metal blade in there to carefully cut the bracket without hitting the frame or floor. Once the accumulator was out of the way I removed the bolts and remaining piece of the bracket with a ratcheting wrench. Sorry for the confusion, had to think back again on what I did.

Ok. That totally makes sense. My brother-in-law is suggesting we do the same, so that confirms we might need to just cut it as well.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom