Aftermarket Seats without rear heater delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I’ve spent quite a bit of time looking through the threads on different front seat options for my 1984 Fj60. There are few options like the simple bmw seats, bestop trail max seats, and corbeau seats that look decent to me.

The part that I have missed on my searches is if there is a way to keep my rear seat heater. I have two little kids and I live in the mountains of Colorado and would like to keep the rear heater. Many of the brackets like the torfab look cool but require a delete. Is is possible to fabricate up a solution or will this just cause one seat to sit higher or some other issue? I would hate to purchase new/used seats only to find out they won’t work.

Thanks for the advice.

I've got a set of Procar Elite seats that fit over the rear heater in my '87 FJ60. It fits over the heater with no problem and uses the OEM sliders. I went with the gray canvas and I think they look great and the are way more comfy that the tired stock seats.

20210917_124951.jpg

Thanks for the replies. This gives me some hope on the seats. I appreciate the advice. One question is that is it seat or the bracket that limits the seat heater? If it is the bracket can any seat be made to work?

First, to joebattle1's point, there is a cutoff date on 60s in which the Torfab bracket will work with the rear heater. While I have a 62, the posts I have seen in the various seat replacement threads regarding this, indicate it is just not workable - there isn't a viable solution for the older 60s, short of removing the rear heater. Given the collective brain trust of this group, I'm confident that if it could be done, the solution would be available here.

First, to joebattle1's point, there is a cutoff date on 60s in which the Torfab bracket will work with the rear heater. While I have a 62, the posts I have seen in the various seat replacement threads regarding this, indicate it is just not workable - there isn't a viable solution for the older 60s, short of removing the rear heater. Given the collective brain trust of this group, I'm confident that if it could be done, the solution would be available here.
Thanks for this info. I have an 84 so fingers crossed. Although the year doesn’t work out for a h55 maybe it I’ll work out in my favor for the seat swap.

Just mount the aftermarket seats to your stock seat rails. Then you can keep your heater. The inner rail's slider to bracket spacing will stay the same to keep the spacing right and the outer (closer to the door) bracket will need to have the rivets drilled out and the brackets welded to make the mounting holes on the seat match the holes on the floor. Really not a bad job at all.

Brackets moved over and rewelded

9rkEeJol.jpg

Rear heater is under the passenger seat

GcEyx4rl.jpg

I’ve had some cheap Smittybilt seats for about 10years using the stock rails as @dbbowen mentions above, clears rear heater easily

I've got a set of Procar Elite seats that fit over the rear heater in my '87 FJ60. It fits over the heater with no problem and uses the OEM sliders. I went with the gray canvas and I think they look great and the are way more comfy that the tired stock seats.

View attachment 3222688
I went the same route. Black. I sent the original rear seat cover to Procar and the made a matching rear seat cover. It looks fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom