Advice 2002 TLC vs. 2004 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie to the forum, I have owned a 92 & 96 TLC both have served me well. I am selling the 96 and looking at 2002 TLC with 65k miles and 2004 GX470 with 45k miles. I know what to expect from Toyota and wondering if the GX470 is worth the extra $$.

TIA

Ed

Someone can correct me here if I am wrong, but the GX series is based on the 4Runner chassis, but the LX is based on the Land Cruiser chassis. So you are comparing two completely different vehicles. If you want a "cruiser" then go with the 2002.

X2...very different vehicles. What will it be used for? Drive both and make up your mind, but if you want a Cruiser, the GX is NOT a Cruiser...

GX is a land cruiser prado, totally different setup from the landcruiser. If it was me, the GX would never be worth the extra money over the 02 landcruiser. I would rather a 96 landcruiser over a 04 GX! Get the landcruiser dont kid yourself.

We just got an 03 gx for my wife to drive. She really likes it however I prefer the feel of the 00 LC. The gx has 110 wheelbase and the suspension must be kept on the sport mode to keep it from feeling to cushy. The gx is more like a sports car SUV and the interior is way ahead of the 00 LC. The gx has more features however I would still choose a LC. If there is anyway, get a 03 LC so you can get the 5 speed tranny.

I agree with the group here. We looked at the GX and found it too big for the wife, and not nearly as capable as my 2004 LC. So, I got the LC100, wifey got the Acura MDX which never tows or goes off road.

My opinion, get the LC, you won't be sorry and we won't have to move you to the GX forum. ;)

Another thing to look at is the cargo area. If you use the cargo area at all the GX is not for you. Check it out closely.

My truck will be used as a DD, we travel on the road for vacations and I enjoy driving in the cruiser. Bad is me, I got caught up in the lexus amenities and forgot that the gx has a totally different base than the cruiser.

I've had both and I would say the following: If you are 5'8" or shorter, then the GX is a great choice otherwise go with the 100.

We just got an 03 gx for my wife to drive. She really likes it however I prefer the feel of the 00 LC. The gx has 110 wheelbase and the suspension must be kept on the sport mode to keep it from feeling to cushy. The gx is more like a sports car SUV and the interior is way ahead of the 00 LC. The gx has more features however I would still choose a LC. If there is anyway, get a 03 LC so you can get the 5 speed tranny.

Agree with the above - '03 LC, but the GX is close.

Have a '04 GX, '05 LX and '99 LC. The LC or LX has more room, and more capability - but they are more similar than I expected. I like to drive the GX better than the other 2. Especially long hauls. It just has better manners, better ergonomics (+1 on the interior being better) and feels less ponderous. The GX isnt as "tough" and might not be as capable - and isnt a "Land Cruiser", the most serious black mark - but practically, most people will not notice a difference. Primarily it comes down to space, the 100s have more. But if I dont need the space, and Im not working - I tend to drive the GX.

Would I trade my LC for one - if I wasn't off pavement so much, perhaps. I'm surprised the GX costs more.

I've had both and I would say the following: If you are 5'8" or shorter, then the GX is a great choice otherwise go with the 100.

I'm 6' 2" and have probably three inches of headroom and adequate legroom in the wife's GX.

I think a good criteria is your needs and intended use.

The GX470 (a Land Cruiser Prado w/ VVTi V8 & 5spd auto) is a "Land Cruiser Lite". It is better on-road (smaller, faster, more agile) while retaining most of the offroad capability.
You are also gaining the air rear suspension, elec adj shocks, DAC, HAC, VSC, ATRAC, and if you are really lucky you found a model w/ KDSS suspension (if you did, i'd take that in a heartbeat).

I believe the first 2 rows are actually larger on the GX in key dimensions, while the 100 has better cargo/3rd row. Altho numbers don't really mean much... actual seat time does.

Also the 100 is beefier in key areas such as the rear axle, suspension. The GX has a coilover IFS, while the 100 is saddled w/ torsion bars.
I have read several direct comparos that favor the 100's better feel and notch up in interior qualities (same yr trucks). 100 has a larger aftermarket. If you offroad a lot, between the two, the 100 would be better I believe.
The rear door (GX) or split tailgate(100) may also factor into your decision process.

The Lexus dealerships are certainly a cut above if you have it under warranty or use them.

Since the GX costs more, you should figure out if all the above are worth it.

very simple, drive them both, they do not feel or handle the same at all, as for the soccer mom joke, the GX was four wheeler of the year several years running, it holds it's own and as was previously stated is a true landcruiser prado rebadged for the upscale us market.
I happen to love my landcruiser, almost a sick passion. I prefer it over the GX/prado

And if you are frugile, check the insurance rates. I did for a 00 LC and 00 LX470 and the LX was 1/3 again more than the LC.

When I checked with my insurance carrier, both 98 LX/LC had the same rates.

I just got a 2008 GX and I am selling my 2004 TLC. I have a 96 for real offroading. The 2004 LC is a great rig much more room than the GX and very capable offroad. I did not need the extra room and as a DD the GX is more fun to drive with it's adjustable suspension. It weighs 800+ less than the LC so is moves around real nice since it has the same motor and tranny. I think the 02 LC has a 4 speed tranny they went to a 5 speed in 03.
Love them both, one is not better than the other, it just depends on your needs and how you feel behind the wheel.

Good Luck

my take, since i just went through this iteration....

1. try and find an 03+ LC - shouldn't be much more but they seem to be more nimble with the 5sp and the adjustable steering.

2. the GX is a very comfortable vehicle, and becuase it's 4-runner based is still going to be more than competent off road - particularly for what 99% of people are doing. I find it very hard to believe though that the GX is less expensive than the LC - people are proud of those things

3. We chose to go with a loaded 4-runner instead of the GX - for lots of reasons - the size was the same, the performance was better in the 4-runner, and it was LOADS less expensive so if cost and performance is the issue - look at a v8-sport 4-runner - if you want the high end features of the lexus, and are less concerned with cost, buy the GX - both are considerably smaller than the LC which is good and bad.

4. We traded our nicely loaded 06 4-runner just 6 months after buying it for an 04 LC that we got a steal on because the 4-runner ended up just being a bit too small for me (i'm 6'3" 280lbs), the wife and the baby with all our crap.

so main factors are going to be - has the LC been taken care of, and is it priced right, is the LC too big/gas hungry for you.

To me the answer seems obvious to me, buy the LC - espeically if you can step up to the 03+ - my wife forbid me to buy a GX470 or an LX because she didn't like the stigma that came with being a lexus driver (for right or wrong....) so at the end of the day the LC was the perfect fit for *US*

so basically i wrote a bunch of crap and could have truncated it down to "do what's right for you and your family..." lol

-Z

i think the GX disqualifies itself as a family vehicle by the simple fact that the rear-door opens to the right!!! try street parking that in the city and open the backdoor?! imagine being street parked in some slush/snow and lifting a baby stroller out of that thing and not being able to put it on the sidewalk (unless you put it down on the street, close the backdoor, then pick it up again and put it on the sidewalk)

the design is so stupid for a family car it hurts my brain!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom