Adding shower to existing tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
Our 70's house main bathroom oddly doesn't have a shower, just a tub. Adding one in for teenage kids so they'll stop using ours. Pulled out the surround and drywall and am looking at this. Am I correct in thinking I can put pull the top plug, thread in an adapter and pipe, run that up to a stub for a shower head? I'd add a tub faucet with diverter. Any advantage of pulling the whole thing and installing one of the new "all in one" valve set ups?

IMG_20180904_084113.jpg

That's it! The all-in-one thingie would be nice, and easy since you're already into the wall. I added one in my turn of the century tub using a faucet/diverter/nipple adapter, so I didn't have to tear into the wall (yet).

faucet.jpg

Nice, thanks. Was hoping to do this without having to hire a plumber for such a small gig. I'd thought about the add in adapter for a shower head on a hose, but the surround only went up a foot from the tub lip, and knowing my kids they'd be spraying the wall with water most of the time. So, it gets the full tile treatment.

If the existing valves/manifold is Old with scarce parts, I would replace it now so you don’t have to rip out tile again later to replace it. My house is 1950s vintage. Brought the bathroom to studs and redoing. Replacing mine since I can’t find Parts anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom