Adding a receptacle outlet in a kitchen island (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for advice from the resident spark chasers (@rkymtnflyfisher)...

I want to add a receptacle to the island in my kitchen. House was built in '95, so pre-dated code where it is required now, but the j-box is in the joists below (unfinished basement), so the hard part is done, I guess they just never hooked it up. This is less about the code, but more about convenience, although I do want to make it safe.

Here's the kicker: the island is not attached to the floor. It can still be moved, which is pretty convenient sometimes, like when I got it out of the way for the new stove and fridge. It's also nice to be able to reposition occasionally. Nice maple floor, slides easily.

I was thinking of coming up from the box below with SO 12/3 flexible cord, then have a L5-20 twist-lock plug/socket in the toe space under the cabinet floor, then another piece of SO up inside the cabinet to the box on the end of the cabinet. Maybe put a piece of wood over the exposed cable to protect it. Spacing will be tight getting it to fit behind the drawer, but it's doable. This will allow the island to be lifted up and unplugged, then moved if needed. It's only 3x4 with laminate top, so not that heavy if it's empty. Swapping to granite might wreck that option though.

Make sense? Or should I just screw the thing down and run armored cable up.

Why not put the outlet in the floor and an outlet in your island where you want it that plugs into the floor.
Then you dont have wobbly wires, and if you change out the island your electric work is mostly done.
Bobmo

That's a great solution, I like it. I could also cut a "hatch" into the floor of the cabinet, so you could just reach down and unplug the cord to move the island, no need to lift it up. Thanks!

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this thread.

SO cord with a twist lock mounted in the floor like @Bob Morazes suggested sounds like a solid plan, with the SO you shouldn't need to worry about covering it with wood or anything. I would strap it back into a corner and run with it.

Or just toss a power strip on top of the counter and add it to the redneckness thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom