Builds Added a Sequoia.....so far, I like it! Now, to start building it.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're right about the Prado. I thought it had twin swing out doors, but it is the same as the GX. I would have been OK with twin doors that open in the middle. But I still like the 4Runner tailgate.

It's funny you mention the air injection issue. I actually installed the work around several months ago. I think it effects the entire 4.7 lineup from 2005 on. That said, the extra power of the 2005 is worth the risk.

I heard 2003-4 Sequoias seem to have fewer issues than the early ones, but that might just be anecdotal. 2005+ got a slight facelift and the more powerful engine. Given the price and availability of Sequoias, I have been focusing on the 2005+. But I wouldn't pass up a deal on an early one. Definitely in a different league from the Landcruiser build wise, but so is the GX. But you don't have to pay through the nose for a GX or Sequoia and they are everywhere.

I really hate car shopping. I have a couple ride height sensors coming in the next couple days and will get tires here soon if I don't find a Sequoia or LC in the next couple weeks. After the ride height sensors and tires, who knows, I may enjoy it enough to keep it. (I debated switching to coils, but want to keep it stock to sell it). But if I keep it, I will still hate that rear door!

You're right about the Prado. I thought it had twin swing out doors, but it is the same as the GX. I would have been OK with twin doors that open in the middle. But I still like the 4Runner tailgate.

It's funny you mention the air injection issue. I actually installed the work around several months ago. I think it effects the entire 4.7 lineup from 2005 on. That said, the extra power of the 2005 is worth the risk. Yeah, that's what I've heard. That, and the '05-'07 were the only models that had as an option the COOL second-row buckets with console! If I get another one, it's definitely going to have that setup!

I heard 2003-4 Sequoias seem to have fewer issues than the early ones, but that might just be anecdotal. Indeed, my VSC/TRAC module and yaw rate sensor went out in my '01 to the tune of about $1,500.:bang: I think that was a pretty common failure. 2005+ got a slight facelift and the more powerful engine. Given the price and availability of Sequoias, I have been focusing on the 2005+. Agreed. The instrument cluster, center dash/console, leather pattern, exterior, etc. all got some upgrades But I wouldn't pass up a deal on an early one. Definitely in a different league from the Landcruiser build wise, but so is the GX. I've had several 100's and LX's (and still do), and I agree that the Sequoia feels a little different; however, based on many people's comments, I think I was expecting a bigger difference in build quality.....which I didn't find......and as for the GX I feel it is a step up interior-wise and maybe only slightly below the 100's simply due to suspension design. I definitely like the 100 brakes better, but in all other respects, the GX is smoother, quieter, more powerful than the 100 or LX. (I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, as I'm sure many others would agree with your assessment. These are just my observations) But you don't have to pay through the nose for a GX or Sequoia and they are everywhere. Absolutely. Dollar for dollar, the Sequoias and GXs are a HUGE value over the LC/LX! That's why I abandoned my search for a daily driver LC search and chose the GX.

I really hate car shopping. I have a couple ride height sensors coming in the next couple days and will get tires here soon if I don't find a Sequoia or LC in the next couple weeks. After the ride height sensors and tires, who knows, I may enjoy it enough to keep it. (I debated switching to coils, but want to keep it stock to sell it). But if I keep it, I will still hate that rear door! HAHA! Here's a little cheap mod that might help you to start liking it (or at least not hate it so badly) GX470 Rear Door Gas Strut / Spring Mod

I'm back in one. Couldn't stay away. Just thought I'd revive this thread.......................

Sequoia 1.JPG

285/75-16 BFG AT KO2s, Toytec lift, SPC upper control arms, DDM Tuning LED bulbs in new DEPO housings and fog lights, Stubbs Welding sliders (not shown) High miles and runs GREAT!

I'm back in one. Couldn't stay away. Just thought I'd revive this thread.......................

View attachment 1972216

285/75-16 BFG AT KO2s, Toytec lift, SPC upper control arms, DDM Tuning LED bulbs in new DEPO housings and fog lights, Stubbs Welding sliders (not shown) High miles and runs GREAT!

Looks good @dnp. My 06 is still running great at 180000 miles. Just had the timing belt done for the second time. I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a 2015-17 model.

Looks good @dnp. My 06 is still running great at 180000 miles. Just had the timing belt done for the second time. I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a 2015-17 model.
Glad to hear yours is good at 180K. The one above has 290K and it's running PERFECTLY (no noises, no oil consumption, etc.), so you've still got a LOT of life left in yours.

Yeah, the '08-> trucks are nice, but I've never been able to "get there" with those. They just never looked right to me (in my opinion, you have the ideal model: 1 gen body with the upgraded grille/tail lights. )

@dnp How does the sequoia ride with the toytec kit compared to factory?
To me it's WAY better than stock! I used Bilsteins on my first Sequoia, and they worked pretty well (but I didn't have tires needing clearance, so I wasn't lifted as high). Then, I used Bilsteins to clear my 285's, so I had to lift it up....and they were A W F U L! Ditched those, went with Toytec front coilovers, SPC upper control arms, OME rear springs, and Toytec rear shocks. This setup is like night-and-day compared to the Bilsteins. Very smooth and controlled. Highly recommend.

Would you said you had to go with spc ucas with the Toytec? I’m trying to put a good lift on it but don’t want to spend extra if I don’t have to

Would you said you had to go with spc ucas with the Toytec? I’m trying to put a good lift on it but don’t want to spend extra if I don’t have to
I would say it'd be smart to. My tires started wearing funny after the lift, because I couldn't get the alignment specs close enough with the OEM upper control arms. I've tried to retain the OEM arms on both my GX and Sequoia, and I ended up changing them. It's a lot less expensive than having to periodically buy front tires..............

I just bought my first Sequoia. 04’ with 124K and it runs like a champ. I need to square away a couple rust spots and some basic maintenance then I’m going play with mods. I love reading these threads and you guys inspire my imagination here.

Just to keep this thread alive: as is often the case, I sold the white Sequoia in post #43. Traded it for an '88 62....just because. After converting that truck from a sow's ear to close to a silk purse (second photo below), I sold it, and......bought another Sequoia, of course! This is my first '05+ version, and I really like it. I was wanting to find one with the rear captain's chairs, so when I found this one at a reasonable price, I decided to move on it. Like my last '01, this one has a Toytec Lift with SPC upper front control arms and 285/70-17 KO2s. The 2UZ with VVT-i is not a lot different....until you put your foot in it! While it's no race car, at WOT, you can definitely feel a difference.

In any event, I like the way the second version of the 1st gen looks better, and it seems a little quieter overall that my pior '01s. I have always preferred the Limiteds over the SR5s, just due to additional features, and this one has some nicer ones over my earlier ones (memory seats, steering wheel radio controls, nicer interior, auto up/down gate window, etc.) Again, I think my biggest attraction to these trucks is just how much you get for the $! My goal is to use this one as more of an "overlander" than the ones in the past. There's real attraction to the thought of not having to pitch a tent if I choose not to. PLENTY of room in the back for two people to sleep.

1600390658643.png

Drivers side exterior.jpg

Really enjoyed following your builds, i'm trying to decide on what to do with ours: Ironman, Bilstein 6112, Kings, Dobinson IMS, too many choices. Back when you had the 5100s, did it still wheel pretty well or is it worth making the jump to a premium setup? We're going to do a lot of highway driving loaded down with kids and gear, but would like to open it up a bit on the dirt roads and handle well rutted/rocky roads as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom