ACC Becky vs JW offroad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JcrewLC

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone able to compare both structural design to see which one is better and by how much better?

Check out this video on the JW. Gives an interesting insight on the design.

I dont know of anyone who has done an actual side by side comparison, but having the Becky and observing the JW from the interwebs, while they appear the same, I do not believe them to be equal. They both accomplish the same goal of mounting the tire on the door, both are going to put the same loading on the rear hinges, and both have brought something that has been wanted to the GX market. How they do it is different, how they are built is different and how they mount is different.

Personally, I believe the ACC unit to be better build quality, to have a better fit, better lines and also have a better installation method (tying the inner and outer skins together vs just bolting to the outer skin). Additionally, it had the "foot" design integrated into it from day one as can be seen from the "tail section" on the unit.

The major rub or difference on these 2 is the price point. The ACC unit came to the market and everyone was quick to jump on the "it cost too much" and "no way that should cost that to build" and it was quickly ostracized for the price point. The JW unit came in closer to the "price" everyone thought it should be and so it was quickly deemed "the" unit by many. Sure if one has the fab skills necessary and tooling available, it is likely going to be cheaper to build it yourself, the raw materials are usually the least amount, but by the time you figure out fitment, cut, grind and weld everything, make sure it fits, gather the hardware, powdercoat it and then pay for the labor and try and make a profit, it adds up. And I dont believe I've seen anyone else try to replicate either design on a home made unit, so not sure anyone complaining about cost can tell me material costs, number of hours, etc to actually make one of either design. Dont hear anyone complaining about paying over $2k for a rear bumper with swingouts do you...

Full disclosure, I know the ACC crew, and have never even traded an email with the JW crew, and we were one of the first Becky installs other than the owners GX, so our experience is very different than the average. That said, I do know that the Becky was prototyped for over a year and went thru multiple interations before the final production unit was released.

Bottom line, they both accomplish similar goals and both, by putting the spare on the door, are going to add additional load to the hinges when the door is open. The major difference is how they install and how they fit against the vehicle. And at the end of the day, it's your money and since I would guess you are like the majority of folks weighing this and have no personal relationships with either company, then ultimately you will have to decide which keyboard jockey to listen to.

Me, I like that ACC put the thought into tying the skins together, built the "foot/ramp" into the design from the beginning and that it fits the form of the rear door better. But again, these are MY personal opinions and they are worth what you are paying for them.

Happy hunting.

Does the Becky have the same tongue that it sits on? Is the design pretty much identical?

I dont know of anyone who has done an actual side by side comparison, but having the Becky and observing the JW from the interwebs, while they appear the same, I do not believe them to be equal. They both accomplish the same goal of mounting the tire on the door, both are going to put the same loading on the rear hinges, and both have brought something that has been wanted to the GX market. How they do it is different, how they are built is different and how they mount is different.

Personally, I believe the ACC unit to be better build quality, to have a better fit, better lines and also have a better installation method (tying the inner and outer skins together vs just bolting to the outer skin). Additionally, it had the "foot" design integrated into it from day one as can be seen from the "tail section" on the unit.

The major rub or difference on these 2 is the price point. The ACC unit came to the market and everyone was quick to jump on the "it cost too much" and "no way that should cost that to build" and it was quickly ostracized for the price point. The JW unit came in closer to the "price" everyone thought it should be and so it was quickly deemed "the" unit by many. Sure if one has the fab skills necessary and tooling available, it is likely going to be cheaper to build it yourself, the raw materials are usually the least amount, but by the time you figure out fitment, cut, grind and weld everything, make sure it fits, gather the hardware, powdercoat it and then pay for the labor and try and make a profit, it adds up. And I dont believe I've seen anyone else try to replicate either design on a home made unit, so not sure anyone complaining about cost can tell me material costs, number of hours, etc to actually make one of either design. Dont hear anyone complaining about paying over $2k for a rear bumper with swingouts do you...

Full disclosure, I know the ACC crew, and have never even traded an email with the JW crew, and we were one of the first Becky installs other than the owners GX, so our experience is very different than the average. That said, I do know that the Becky was prototyped for over a year and went thru multiple interations before the final production unit was released.

Bottom line, they both accomplish similar goals and both, by putting the spare on the door, are going to add additional load to the hinges when the door is open. The major difference is how they install and how they fit against the vehicle. And at the end of the day, it's your money and since I would guess you are like the majority of folks weighing this and have no personal relationships with either company, then ultimately you will have to decide which keyboard jockey to listen to.

Me, I like that ACC put the thought into tying the skins together, built the "foot/ramp" into the design from the beginning and that it fits the form of the rear door better. But again, these are MY personal opinions and they are worth what you are paying for them.

Happy hunting.

Can you do a video similar to the one attach to be able to compare?

Does the Becky have the same tongue that it sits on? Is the design pretty much identical?

The Becky has a body mounted skid pad which carrys the load of the rear door. That was the key piece that they did to ensure the weight was not carried by the hinges when the door was closed.

20200329_101805.jpg

The JW unit did not have that originally. It was added after some folks asked about it. Which is why it is bolted on. You can see from the picture, the ACC unit actually carrys the structure of the carrier all the way down to that point.

Can you do a video similar to the one attach to be able to compare?

Sure will. Let me see what I can do this afternoon. Need to pull the spare off anyway to pop a center cap out of the new wheels. (Making the camera useless currently...)

@JcrewGX

I am definitely not going to be youtube famous for my camera work or my on camera charisma, but here you go.

I still love the name Becky for the song reference, and the rear spoiler replacement being the MULLET is just awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom