Abuse of the "service dog" laws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

myquestoyota

SILVER Star
Threads
Okay, time to start a 'movement" or a "cause" or whatever. How many likes can i get to make some regulations that govern when and where you can take a dog that is not a service animal? It has gotten so out of hand by folks that know you can't ask if their dog is a service animal so they take dogs into restaurants and grocery stores. How many times have you set produce or vegetables in the front tray of a shopping cart, possibly right after Fido's a****** has been parked in there? Restaurant Sunday morning in Portland and some lady had her boxer with her. I say if it is a real service dog it should have a special tag or collar defining it as such and the fine for cheating is $5,000 and the loss of the animal. I hate the idea of more regulations but this has gone way too far and is a disservice to the folks that actually have bonifide service dogs.
Restaurants and grocery stores can ask but usually make a policy not to. I think we need to take back the stores.
Maybe this belongs in chat?

Okay, time to start a 'movement" or a "cause" or whatever. How many likes can i get to make some regulations that govern when and where you can take a dog that is not a service animal? It has gotten so out of hand by folks that know you can't ask if their dog is a service animal so they take dogs into restaurants and grocery stores. How many times have you set produce or vegetables in the front tray of a shopping cart, possibly right after Fido's a****** has been parked in there? Restaurant Sunday morning in Portland and some lady had her boxer with her. I say if it is a real service dog it should have a special tag or collar defining it as such and the fine for cheating is $5,000 and the loss of the animal. I hate the idea of more regulations but this has gone way too far and is a disservice to the folks that actually have bonifide service dogs.
Restaurants and grocery stores can ask but usually make a policy not to. I think we need to take back the stores.
Maybe this belongs in chat?

I completely agree and want to take this a little further.... BUT I WILL NEVER WIN THIS BATTLE... SCREAMING ASS UNCONTROLLED CHILDREN!

I honestly think I'd rather have the Fido ass produce vs that sticky handed, snot bubbled brats germs all over the damn cart...

HATE ON BROTHER!!!

No chit! Twice this weekend, once at the mall buying a pair of slacks and right at the fitting room were about six screaming uncontrolled kids with four adults that had no intention of curbing their enthusiasm. Then, while I was in meetings that afternoon my wife was stalked (her term) by a woman with three screaming kids that showed up everywhere she went. Leave 'em in the car with the windows rolled up lady.......o_O

I don't really understand why people feel the "need" to take their dog with them all the time. Around here, you really can't ban them from stores. Leaving them in the car is a fatal mistake.

Funny story, I was in a store awhile back and saw a woman with what I thought was a small dog on a leash. Did a double take when I noticed that it was a six month old kitten. He was mellow as hell and hung out quietly by mom's feet checking out the world.

I stuck up a conversation. In a short time, one of the clerks came by and asked if he was a service animal. The owner said yes and the clerk shrugged and moved on. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing at her. Who would believe that a kitten is a service animal?

I was just having this conversation with my wife the other day. We both love dogs and have three, all between 55-100 pounds. However, it drives me crazy when people have them in Lowes, Home Depot, outdoor seating areas at bars/restaurants, etc. Not everyone likes dogs and unless it is a TRUE service animal, people need to be respectful of that.

On this same note, it drives me crazy when people bring their kids in to the bar/breweries and get offended when someone uses foul language or tell a dirty joke.

Moral of the story, most people can't think beyond their next selfie or what's happening with Bruce Jenner for long enough to consider these things, so I don't let it bother me too much.

I think once people could use service dogs for mental health issues (which I think has some merit), that ship had already sailed. Half the restaurants where I live have dogs in them now and I'm not a fan. Love animals and all that, just not by my food.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think actual service animals must be certified and wear the "jacket" so that they can be identified as "working" service animals. Dunno if that's a national thing of just a WA state thing, but I do remember hearing that somewhere, and that any animal not wearing one is not allowed into grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

Looks like I stand corrected here then.

There definitely needs to be much tighter regulations.

Pets have their place - and service pets do, too. It's the people that abuse the deserving person's right to have their service animal - by lying about having a service animal - that have their ambulance chasing attorney's mobile number on speed dial - for when they are discriminated against - that make this a problem.

I am sure that there are some very legitimate cases of 'emotional / psychological' dependent service pets. I am also sure that there are less than ethical doctors writing prescriptions that should not be.

It only takes one @$$#ole to ruin it for those with legitimate needs.

I dearly love my country and I have put myself in harms way to defend her, but in todays society there are more things that annoy me than I thought possible. I can't turn on the news without getting aggrivated or mad. I don't liike crumb snatchers showing their ass but I don't blame them I blame their sorry ass parents. My children always knew that it wasn't worth it. They wouldn't get what they wanted and they would get one thing that they really didn't want. Most of the time a stern look was all it took. Most people today are weak, indecisive, timid lambs that believe anything they are told. We have laws in this country that if enforced would resolve alot of issues. I don't support most new laws simply because of the previous fact. Why pass new legislation when the old is good just enforce it. Until we wake up as citizens and take back our Country a screaming child or a dog in a grocery store can be aggrivating but does it really matter?

A real service animal has to have ID. Usually part of the leash or harness.

Many stores around here have signs on the entry door stating only service animals allowed. Probably tons of people ignore that.

by lying about having a service animal - that have their ambulance chasing attorney's mobile number on speed dial

I am sure that there are some very legitimate cases of 'emotional / psychological' dependent service pets. I am also sure that there are doctors writing prescriptions for the same reason as stated above.

It only takes one @$$#ole to ruin it for those with legitimate needs.

fixed

Great thread.

Service dog.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Damn near tripped in the home improvement center over a dog leash. The leash was like 8 feet long and the woman had THREE dogs in her "service" Blocked the whole aisle.

It is really getting out of hand.

I've split most of my adult life between the US and Europe, and frankly, I don't get the nuttiness of Americans vis-a-vis dogs in public. Shockingly, dogs are permitted nearly everywhere in Europe and the continent doesn't melt down in a thermonuclear holocaust. My favorite restaurant has two dogs that are there during opening hours and will sometimes sleep on your feet as you eat.

I don't understand the severe freak out Americans have about animals in public places. The sanitation issues just don't bear out, either historically or through any kind of objective data.

I love dogs and have always had one. That being said I don't think they belong in any place that serves or sells food. Europe is not a good example of how I believe people should behave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom