A442F 1st gear lockout? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.adventureduo.com
I've searched to find out if anyone makes a computer controlled lockout for 1st gear. Took my 93 FZJ80 on its first trip and noticed that when your in 4low, 1st gear(tranny selection).. the damn thing wants to fly into 2nd. This really irritates me when engine breaking on a steep hill cause i hate riding my damn brakes the whole time(im so used to a manual).

The only thing i could find in the search was a company that actually goes inside the guts of the tranny. In the Jeep Cherokees they have a lockout where you tell the computer to lockout 1st and not let it shift.

Anything out there for this fix? So irritating. Any help would be appreciated.

Can't you just switch it from "D" to "L" on the shifter??? :confused: That keeps it from shifting into 2nd. thats what I do when going down steep hills. Maybe mine is supposed to???

Sounds odd. I wheel a '94 fairly hard, and have never experienced this issue. How many RPM's are you pulling when it shifts? Most trannies have a built-in protection that will shift at very high RPM's no matter what gear you have selected, but I've never had my 80 high enough to engage it.

-Spike

-Spike- said:
Sounds odd. I wheel a '94 fairly hard, and have never experienced this issue. How many RPM's are you pulling when it shifts?

-Spike

Like nothing, idling down a steep incline... maybe 700-900? if that? Then all of sudden it decides to shift into 2nd. Maybe the tranny needs to be overhauled. The thing does have 177k on it.

-Spike- said:
Most trannies have a built-in protection that will shift at very high RPM's no matter what gear you have selected, but I've never had my 80 high enough to engage it. -Spike

Yeah, nothing like that at all. I know what your talking about. I've never even red lined the rig yet since i bought it. Im talkin low speed decents where you dont wanna ride the brakes @ low rpm.. but enough rpm to use engine braking.. then it slips into 2nd.. and off i go... and have to hit the brakes.

Here's a thought- although you stated you had 1st gear selected, it sounds like your truck is acting as if you have 2nd gear selected- starts out in 1st but shifts into 2nd. Perhaps your linkage needs adjusting?

-Spike

-Spike- said:
Here's a thought- although you stated you had 1st gear selected, it sounds like your truck is acting as if you have 2nd gear selected- starts out in 1st but shifts into 2nd. Perhaps your linkage needs adjusting?
-Spike

Didnt even think about that. Dang good point. I might not even be shifting it into 1st at all. I'll check that this weekend for sure. Couldnt hurt. Is there a .pdf or a manual on where it's supposed to be adjusted too?.. i dont need to screw up the rest of the shift points and not even be able to move the rig after fooling around with it. lol

Last edited:
-Spike- said:

-Spike

That might be a possibility...In "D" or "2" I know mine kinda lurches into second...but hasn't ever in "L"

SOCALFJ said:
Is there a .pdf or a manual on where it's supposed to be adjusted too?.. i dont need to screw up the rest of the shift points and not even be able to move the rig after fooling around with it. lol

There is a post on here somewhere about how to adjust the kickdown cable. Has pics too. Also, the FSM has detailed instructions.

FWIW, in my 80 I couldn't ever get the kickdown to work right, no amount of fiddling would do it. In a fit of inspiration (or despiration!) I adjusted the throttle cable - and voila, correct tranny kickdown.

For a quick test put it in 2 and drive slowly until you feel it shift into second and then try to downshift to L, that should tell you if your linkage is correct.

Keep in mind you're not dealing with kickdown- AKA automatic downshifting via throttle for more power.

-Spike

TOY350 said:
For a quick test put it in 2 and drive slowly until you feel it shift into second and then try to downshift to L, that should tell you if your linkage is correct.

Ok, just took it for a spin to test.

No first gear selection at all. I think the linkage is way out of adjustment or something's whack.
Here's why. I was driving it in selected 2nd @ 900 RPM and try bringing it down into 1st ("L") and it doesnt do anything... Also, the "L" doesnt even light up on the dash. If i hold the shifter ever so slightly forward i can get the "L" to light up.. but still no 1st gearing. So something is way off.

This would explain why my junk kept running away from me on the trail! It never was in first really!

Last edited:
I did another search......Could it be what Dan is talking about in a another post.... the solenoid(s)?

"IIRC there is a way to test the transmission when some of the wiring is disconnected but I do know that if you have a bad solenoid(s) there are some gears that will not engauge, 1st gear among them. I had an intermittent 1st gear non-working and It could not be manually shifted into 1st. I replaced the solenoid and it's fine."

Not likely, yours seems to work fine in D, it starts in first gear. Solenoid problems would cause the tranny not to engage first at all.

-Spike

I just put mine in L to down more than 30º hills and it keep the 1st at least 3k rpm .. ( I never go over .. help a little bit with my brakes if is necesary )

I would definately start with the linkage, hopefully you have the FSM and it gives you the details you need. Good luck :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom