A343F transmission between hot marks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yah hey guys.
Fine tuning my A343F transmission fluid levels and i got er up to just a hair over the low hot notch.

I did a drain and fill and been pecking away at gettin the level up to par.

My FSM doesn't seem to indicate how much fluid between the notches (hot) counts fer? I dont think it represents a quart like oil, or does it? I put in the royal purple and wanna cap it off with some lucas tranny goop but dont wanna put too much in..

Anybody got a quick answer for me or do i need to keep adding small amounts and testing?

Definitely gets some variation in fluid level readings this tranny does.

Anyhoo tx!

Yes, keep adding small amounts and check it. It's not really all that critical. You don't want to be grossly 'under' (trans won't shift) or grossly 'over' (fluid will be expelled from dip stick). So just get it in the area of the hash marks and call it good.

Yes, keep adding small amounts and check it. It's not really all that critical. You don't want to be grossly 'under' (trans won't shift) or grossly 'over' (fluid will be expelled from dip stick). So just get it in the area of the hash marks and call it good.
yah, thats what ill keep doing i suppose .no biggie now ,as the level is not too low so ill be patient. i didn't have a container with measurements on the drain portion of this job so i been a little blind. tx bud

Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to even measure consistently using the dipstick. Just getting it consistently in the hot range is a success in my book.

Mine has been consistently right at the top of the HOT mark after driving about 14 miles (10 miles recommended for correct temp) and on level ground, engine running, in park.

Recently, I took a 10 hour drive in it and I checked it near the end of my trip and it was about 1/4" above the HOT FULL mark. I was rather surprised by this, but figured it was doing OK since I didn't have any shifting issues and it was on sustained high-speed interstate.

Just FYI.

Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to even measure consistently using the dipstick. Just getting it consistently in the hot range is a success in my book.
haha,nice

Mine has been consistently right at the top of the HOT mark after driving about 14 miles (10 miles recommended for correct temp) and on level ground, engine running, in park.

Recently, I took a 10 hour drive in it and I checked it near the end of my trip and it was about 1/4" above the HOT FULL mark. I was rather surprised by this, but figured it was doing OK since I didn't have any shifting issues and it was on sustained high-speed interstate.

Just FYI.
interesting, yeah im finding a little variation but there must be enuff tolerance built in for slight overfills..
meh why worry, if she runs good.:)

IIRC years ago I just dumped in a quart all at once, level starting at the top cold mark, and the level went over the top hot mark. Since then, as others mentioned above, I add a small amount at a time, a pint or less starting from the cold full marks, until I'm about 2/3 or so up between the hatch marks in a fully warmed up but not blazing hot engine/tranmission.

Somewhere ?? (manual or FSM, different transmission but a Land Cruiser) I recall reading that after high speed hot weather highway driving the fluid level may read a bit high and to let the engine/transmission cool down some (?20 minutes) before checking the fluid level.

If the level is much below the lower cold mark on the dipstick you will get funky or no shifting. I once did this after a drain and fill, was a bit more than a quart low and when I turned a corner quickly it fell like I lost the transmission for second, apparently as the fluid sloshed over to one side of the pan. Topped off the fluid level and no more shifting issues.

FWIW.

Last edited:
IIRC years ago I just dumped in a quart all at once, level starting at the top cold mark, and the level went over the top hot mark. Since then, as others mentioned above, I add a small amount at a time, a pint or less starting from the cold full marks, until I'm about 2/3 or so up between the hatch marks in a fully warmed up but not blazing hot engine/tranmission.

Somewhere ?? (manual or FSM, different transmission but a Land Cruiser) I recall reading that after high speed hot weather highway driving the fluid level may read a bit high and to let the engine/transmission cool down some (?20 minutes) before checking the fluid level.

If the level is much below the lower cold mark on the dipstick you will get funky or no shifting. I once did this after a drain and fill, was a bit more than a quart low and when I turned a corner quickly it fell like I lost the transmission for second, apparently as the fluid sloshed over to one side of the pan. Topped off the fluid level and no more shifting issues.

FWIW.
Thats good info right there. I have been suspecting the low hot to high hot isn't really that much juice at all.
I believe my FSM says the cold mark is basically a pre-fill level if a mechanic is starting from dry or on a unknown transmission and just wants to start up the vehicle to get up to temp without damage, but that it only really counts what the hot mark says when warmed up properly...I guess.
I do have a tendency to overdo the warmup phase too.
Ill just keep adding little bits of the lucas goop after mild drives till perfect. I dont have shifting problems but heard you can use a little lucas stuff for preventative....who knows haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom