A little competition coming for the FJ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wont know until i itry it, but that back door looks just about useless. And since it is there, the front door is pretty small too. I like the huge door on the FJ and since I raely need to use the suicide door, it is not a problem. I'd rather have the larger front door than a pathetic standard rear door.

Not too bad looking for a Jeep. I still like my FJ better. Maybe one day I will get brave and will cut the top off of it and have a good canvas shop make up a soft top. A nice Defender 90 like roll cage would be slick also. If only I wasnt a chicken.

I have a Jeep and an FJ and I love them both. Can't we all just get along????? ;p

SunFuCru said:
Wont know until i itry it, but that back door looks just about useless. And since it is there, the front door is pretty small too. I like the huge door on the FJ and since I raely need to use the suicide door, it is not a problem. I'd rather have the larger front door than a pathetic standard rear door.

Not too bad looking for a Jeep. I still like my FJ better. Maybe one day I will get brave and will cut the top off of it and have a good canvas shop make up a soft top. A nice Defender 90 like roll cage would be slick also. If only I wasnt a chicken.

Rumor has it toyota is working on a removable top for the FJC's so it might be as easy as puting a 4sale sign up & making a visit to the dealer some day....

jfonz said:
Rumor has it toyota is working on a removable top for the FJC's so it might be as easy as puting a 4sale sign up & making a visit to the dealer some day....

Let's hope they keep the hardtop model, as well. There would be too many compromises to make the top removable.

Michael

calamaridog said:
My favorite problem is the "Liberty Pull". What is that? It's the pull to the right which is always there and is considered "normal" by Jeep. All Liberty's pull to the right.

That's so they'll go straight in the fast lane on the freeway. :D

The concept version Jeep Rescue:
alt08.jpg

johnny4ever said:
Ever seen the Hilux video???

It was long ago, that Hilux was from '80s, leaf springs, axles and simple diesel. Nowaday hiluxes are same thing mitsu, mazda etc making - ifs, rack steering, efi/common rail/computer managed diesels. Face it, FJC is good marketing positioned SUV, not tough offroader as 40 was - Ultimate Adventure buildup shows it - axles, steering box, low-geared atlas t-case instead of Runner's road-friendly front drivetrain/suspension. There're few true offroaders left in production- Nissan Patrol, LR Defender, Toyota 70- and 105-series.

Russian said:
There're few true offroaders left in production- Nissan Patrol, LR Defender, Toyota 70- and 105-series.

I didn't put my money in Defender ( just IMOP ) coz they axles aren't strong enough to run huge tires ..

Toy and Nissan axles are ready to run over 35" stock ..

As much as I would love having the four doors and convertible top, I don't think it will look that good with the doors off since the existing TJ's have the removable door pillar.

Looks like a plastic covered, want-to-be rugged 4x4 to me. To be completely honest i would rather have a rusted out fj40 then that. No matter what it comes down to, toyota is built for strength and will always be 10 times more rugged then any f**king heep.

If they put the CRD in that thing, i might consider it. 22-27 mpg's sounds really good.

I like it.

my 4 runner is getting old and will need to be replaced soon. I really wanted a FJC but after trying to figure out how to use it with 2 small kids and carseats it just isn't going to work.

Problem is all the car manufactures kep getting bigger. compare the size of the new 4runner with my 96 and the new one is huge. To big for my tastes. the FJC is perfect but it doesn't work with my family needs.

But heck I like jeeps. I have never owned a new jeep all my jeeps are real jeeps. to me no real jeep was made after 1945. Now I own 4 wwii jeeps. But only one looks like it did in 1942. So too I need to be able to tow that to shows.

Today you can't buy a SUV without all that plastic. It is really to bad. I think it is so the plastic will break down and you will be forced to buy a new vehicle.

Why is it that every time a utility vehicle is made to look utilitarian which is made for practicality and simplicity, people say it looks like a hummer. Has anybody ever seen the old willys wagons from the 1950's. maybe the hummer looks like that? I like simple flat sided retro styles.

I will look at it when it comes out with much interest. But would rather get a 4 door FJC that would actually hold my family. or maybe I should just stick with my 4runner and have all the interior replaced. My parents have a 60 series but it was in an accident and needs a new front pillar and doors. Humm maybe I should look for some doner.

For you guys calling jeeps heeps. if you go back far enough. toyota based its first FJ (Fake Jeep) on a jeep. but to me all jeeps made after 1945 don't appeal to me much. Just to much ugly plastic.

Last edited:
FJBen said:
Over the years, much ado has been made over the name Jeep having been derived from its military nomenclature, GP, for General Purpose. This can be disproved easily by noting that until mid1942, the Army designation for the truck was command reconnaissance, not general purpose (that would come later). No doubt the demise of the 1/2ton Dodge Jeep as standard equipment contributed to the use also. When Willys began using the term "Jeep" in advertising, MinneapolisMoline balked. In June 1942, the House Committee on Military Affairs substantiated MM's claim to the name, citing numerous references in newspapers and magazines dating back to before 1940.

While I do not dispute that that GP is not exceptionally likely to have developed into jeep tho' there are WW2 based arguments for the development of the word from geepie (from GP) and then onto jeep.

However, anyone that states that a jeep was not a general purpose vehicle does not understand the development of Army vehicles during WW2. When the jeep was first under development it came under the purvue of the Quartermaster Corp. This is because it was not an armored vehicle, it was not a combat vehicle. If it were it would have been developed by the Ordnance. The Quartermaster was responsible for the developement of general purpose vehicles. General purpose vehicles were either tactical (like the jeep) or administrative (like a sedan). Don't let anyone tell you that the jeep wasn't a general purpose vehicle but by the same token there is only a very small amount of evidence that would demonstrate that jeep came from GP. This includes a couple of brief paragraphs from the US Army's mechanics and drivers magazine during WW2 - called "Army Motors."

Sorry if this is a rerun as I didn't read the whole thread before responding.

Now back to our show.....

About the Jeep Unlimited with 4 doors? What concerns me is flexibility. The Wranglers seem to be very light weight in the rated towing capacity. As far as I know, DMC has n't released tow capacity for the Jeep Unlimited 4dr. But I would almost bet it is less than or equal to 3500lbs wereas the FJC can tow 5000lbs. That's important to me as I'm downsizing from a Suburban and still have a "lightweight" trailer to pull...or even better my WW2 Ford GPW (jeep) on its flat bed trailer. I imagine that gas mileage will really suck when towing but overall it should be better than the Sub when daily driving is added in.....if only it came with a 35 or 40 gallon fuel tank!

Bob

we went round and round on the towing capacity on G503.

there is no official rating on the 07 unlimited yet. but if compared to similar vehicles in wt and power drive train it should be 5000 lbs.

Either that or the fjc shouldn't be rated at 5000. as the jeep is longer than the FJC and it is the wheelbase that gives the short wb wranger its low tow rating due to the moment forces a trailer has on the rear of a vehicle on coners and during braking. Being that the 4door has the same drive train and is longer than the liberty there is no reason it can't tow 5000 lbs. so unless Jeep has posted a towing capacity for the 07 unlimited. which they have not. we can't even compare that spec.

saskdiesel said:
Well, since I've owned Jeeps, Cruisers, Fords, Chevs, Toyota's of all sorts (Including my diesel Surf) and the odd Dodge, I have to say..............I really like that 4 door Jeep with solid axles and a deep low range!
If Toyota had built a solid axle FJ Cruiser (Maybe even a diesel!) I would probably have one.
4 Doors just sweeten the deal for my needs. That truck will sell very well. It may not appeal to an FJ owner but I will not argue the off-road merits that vehicle will have.

I agree and that V6 diesel is already on sale in Australia(in the Commander) and other countries.
The motoring journos cant say enough nice things about the 3.0 V6 with 160 kw and 510nm of torque
Its supposed to be faster than the 4.7 gasser and get 10 ltr per 100klm or about 25 mpg US gallons.
The Discovery is also using the same V6 (mercedes I think)and is also getting the treatment normally reserved for the Japanese 4x4 here.

However the motoring journos never give the jeep very good ratings on interior space ,suspension or the dodgy auto trans that doesnt like hot desert driving.

If MPG is over rated, when OFF-Road fun is the goal.
Then, is low-end torque, longer intervals between fill-ups (ie. longer trail time) and schedueld maintainance also over rated?

There is a benefit to diesel engines. My feelings are the option for a diesel powered vehicle should be there, and the Chrysler-Benz, or whatever they call themselves, is recognizing this fact. Thats why that corp is growing on me. They don't care that these vehicles are only 45 state smog legal. and dont get me wrong i beleive Toyota builds the highest quality product, i just wish they would give us the option of diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom