A dead horse... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to decide what I should do with my FJ60; engine wise... Keep the 2F and convert it into a 2FE, go with a 2UV or try out a 1FZ. (I don't really want a chevy engine) I would like to keep it a manual with a part time transfer case and while ecenomy is what I'm going to say i'm looking for, I secretly desire power just as much as the next person, but I have no need for anything above say 400-500hp. I also am trying to keep expenses down.

Lately I have been researching into the possibility of a 1FZ-FE engine, but there is the problem of sourcing a H150 (151) Tranny and the almost non-existant H1FA transfer case, however, some of my digging in the forums has led me to another possibility...

Looking through the threads I've ran into:

The 1HZ engine used in Prado's was mated to the H55f transmission, the Bellhousing for this (Part#31111-60230) will also fit a 1FZ-FE engine. (I don't know if that is fact, thats what was stated)

Then it gets a little murky:

A 300mm Isuzu Clutch (Part#8-97389910-0) can be used.

The fork assembly, release bearing assembly and release cylinder from the 1HZ/H55f setup has to be used but the pressure plate and flywheel would have to come off of a 1HDT.

A longer 21 spline input shaft is needed.

Or: The fj60 clutch can be kept, if the spigot bearing is removed from the crankshaft and a bushing is machined to make up the difference in length then fit a new spigot bearing in the end of the bushing.

Most of the ideas I found about mating a 1FZ to a H55 have been in the Diesel Tech area.

I was wondering if anyone has been thinking about how to do this conversion that may have come up with something, what way to deal with the clutch, and the different lengths of the input shafts (and possibly different number of splines) or if there is something that makes this totally impossible. Thanks for the input.

A 1FZ will certainly help you avoid getting over the 400-500 HP range!

Are you trying to avoid a diesel conversion altogether? Seems to me it is the most common and popular conversion to gain more efficient power out of a 60 series while retaining a manual transmission.

Supra60,
I would call Georg at Valley Hybrids and talk. You can also call up Proffit's Cruisers as they do a lot of diesel conversions. Marv at Specter offroad (SOR) is also a good source for such unusual questions.

Yeah thanks for your advice, really helped out a lot...

Dont be so short sighted:
Toyota 1FZ Land Cruiser Engine Program 1,800HP+

Toyota 1FZ Land Cruiser Engine Program 1,800HP+

What a waste of money... one could buy 20 landcruisers for the price of one engine...

-Off soapbox-

If you really want to be a purist, look at importing a halfcut with either 1hz, 1hdt, or even the older 12ht. Diesel is the way to go if you want to stay with a toyota drivetrain. All else (gasoline toyota engines that is) is not even worth it in my book.... good luck.

Remember to take your budget and roughly double it to get an idea of the total cost of a conversion.

cheers

Hi, Waste, yea maybe ,but pretty neat too. Rather have that hp in a Dodge Viper. Mike

If you want economy get a prius. Just putting Toyota on the grill doesn't mean it's gonna get good mpg's!

If I was gonna do an engine swap I'd for broke and do a 6bt or atleast a 5.3l vortec.

Keep what was in it or replace it with what was in it. My 2 cents. Or buy a locked 80.

If you really want it it shouldn't be that bad to do but why don't you just run it with 80 running gear. That would be the most cost effective way to handle it. Autos are nice offroad anyway. Nothing against a manual but to get the same advantage a torque converter gives offroad you need to either sacrifice your highway rpms big time or spend the extra money/hassle and run some type of crawlbox or aftermarket tcase.

I personally dropped a 5.7TBI/4l60e in mine, only spent 2800$ doing the engine/trans/ac/exhaust/etc and couldn't be happier. 17mpg if I keep it under 70 13.5-14 in town and runs 85 mph very nicely and it is also SOA on 35s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom