A/C non-op: need help to locate all the switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
My FJ62 has A/C that isn't working.

AC Dash button: operational and illuminated
AC fuse: good
AC clutch: not engaging.
The pigtail wire isn't delivering voltage to the clutch electromagnet.

I need to know what other switches exist and where they're LOCATED in the system, so that I can find/check/replace them:
1. Low compressor oil switch?
2. Cabin temp switch?
3. High pressure safety cutoff swtich?
4. etc.

Photos and a schematic would be outstanding please.

Thanks
T

p.s. Which shop manual do you enthusiasts prefer?

I'm not sure how to check the refrigerant level. Since the clutch isn't engaging, I don't see anything in the sight glass. Suggestions?

I took it to a local shop a few days ago, and thats why I landed here. They estimated the worst case scenario as a R-134 conversion (about $200 in parts, labor, and a fill). The mechanic did a visual inspection and and told me that I needed to have the R-12 removed. I don't know if I trust that opinion. How could he see any bubbles without the clutch engaged?

200 bucks doesn't seem unreasonable for the conversion, providing he will test, then, remove the comp, drain old oil and refill with proper oil, and reinstall, install new receiver/drier and new condenser, all new orings everywhere and clean out your case and fill your system. at least, that's what youd need to have done to do it right. I rebuilt my system with a new compressor from cool stream, a new desno evaporator and receiver/drier and orings and refilled with r12. it blows down to 38* at the vent...

With the car cold, engine not running... can I just put a pressure gauge on the schrader valve? Anything more than 0 psi might tell me that there is R-12 present. If it is 0psi, then I'll just move forward with the R-134 conversion.

Or, maybe I should just pay the shop to extract the R-12 and move forward with the R-134 conversion anyway?

I'm not trying to test operational pressure. I'm trying to find out if there is any residual R-12 in the system. A simple yes or no? I'm trying to avoid a $150 diagnosis fee.

My check downs look like this:

R-12 Present? > > Find a shop that will extract and dispose of it and do a R-134 conversion OR find a shop that will repair an R-12 system that doesn't have a leak

R-12 Absent? > > Find a shop that will to do the R-134 conversion.

For the benefit of all:

The first shop gave me a bunky diagnosis. They told me there was R-12 present (there wasn't).

At the second shop, I had the unit converted to R-134 and used Denso parts.

Thanks to all for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom