A/C idler bearing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
There are a few threads with information on the pulley, I wanted to bring it in one place and add, for those like me, lots of pics to go with the words.

The A/C belt was making noise, but the tension on it was within spec, so the next item to check for me was the idler. These 2 posts below where great help, as well as others.

Noisy, squeaky AC idler pulley? Here's a trick...

AC belt tension

Most of the work to remove and install is done from under the truck. Firs you have to loosen the locking nut (14mm socket), then remove the tension from the belt by loosening the tension bolt (12mm socket). Do not remove tension bolt but loosen it 3/4 of the way up. Idler should be able to slide up and belt can come off idler.
ac-jpg.252928

With belt off the idler, now remove the nut from the idler. The nut may be attached to the backing plate, if so remove them together. If not, separate is fine.
Photo Dec 04, 12 38 46 PM.jpg

Idler may or may not come off easily from bolt shoulder as you can see below. I had to tap it with small hammer for a bit, then gently using a prybar it should come right off.

Photo Dec 04, 12 38 51 PM.jpg

Nut and backing plate here separated, clean them well.
Photo Dec 04, 12 40 06 PM.jpg

User circlip pliers to remove the circlip from the bearing face. Clean the circlip
Photo Dec 04, 12 26 05 PM.jpg

Next you need to remove the bearing from the idler, I used the hub socket with bearing side down, and a small socket to tap the bearing out. Doesnt take much force
Photo Dec 04, 12 19 35 PM.jpg

Now use a small pick to remove the plastic covers from the bearing. They probably look nasty and dried up like mine did.

Photo Dec 04, 12 00 41 PM.jpg

Clean clean and clean the dried up gunk out. Afterwards spin the bearing and check to make sure it is good to go. Clean the gunk from the plastic end caps too. I used brake cleaner and the small punch to scrape it off

Photo Dec 04, 12 04 02 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 04, 12 16 52 PM.jpg

Repack the bearing with grease on one side, then cap that side, rotate it to make sure it is good and ready. Then repeat on the other side and replace the other cap
Photo Dec 04, 12 12 35 PM.jpg

Reseat the bearing into the idler, I used this size bearing pusher, but a large socket and hammer will do the trick as well. After it is seated all the way, re insert the circlip to the idler
Photo Dec 04, 12 25 30 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Rotate it for any issues. Time to put it back on bolt shoulder. Before I did that, I used some emery paper to gently remove any galling or dirt from shoulder. The idler slid back in very easily.

Replace the backing plate and 14mm nut but do not tighten yet. Get the belt on the idler, then reset the tension on the tension bolt and measure to specification. These tool came very handy during this part. Finally, 29ftlbs on the 14mm bolt to lock in in place and you are done.
Photo Dec 04, 12 46 22 PM.jpg

My truck now idles quietly, tested it today and the difference is incredible. Good luck!

That's a great add, any one can use the removal and reassembly steps but just replace it with a new bearing.

I like tinkering with the truck, its my therapy time. Besides, what will you do if you are crossing the Sahara and the A/C just needs to quiet down so it doesn't attract the attention the roaming cannibal bandits that will want to steal the gold you just found from the never discovered prehistoric tomb?

Good write up but the new bearring is available in a higher spec than the original. You ca look at the speed rating and the temp rating. I think the very best rated Japanese bearing I used was $14 on Amazon.

Good write up but the new bearring is available in a higher spec than the original. You ca look at the speed rating and the temp rating. I think the very best rated Japanese bearing I used was $14 on Amazon.
Could you post the p/n please? Never mind figured it out.

Mine start e making noise about a week ago.

Last edited:
Could you post the p/n please? Never mind figured it out.

Mine start e making noise about a week ago.

So why don't YOU post the PN for the rest of us :doh:

I'll follow up with part # when I get home from China. That bearing costs $1 for the cheap ones on eBay, to about $15 for the expensive ones. It also fits both idlers on an FJ62

Don't buy the cheap replacement bearing. Look for a NSK, ect. Bought a cheaper and only lasted less then a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom