'99 LX470 Should I Buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all,

Just joined the group! Here goes my first post!

Picked out an LX and want some opinions.. Independent seller..

Pros:
Under $6k
228k miles
NO RUST (no surface, body, or frame rust from initial inspection)
Runs like a sewing machine and shifts smooth as butter
All electrics work including windows and door locks but excluding memory seats (don't care) and some other small things that really don't effect driveability
Seems to have had regular maintenance and seller has taken care of
Comes with brand new set of Mickey Thompson's

Cons:
228k miles (yes, listed twice)
Power steering is a little sticky (supposedly from recent flush with wrong PSF instead of ATF)
No running boards or rock rails
Unknown Carfax (At the moment)
Breaks almost sound like they whine when held down or punched to stop somewhat quickly (not abruptly, I know it's heavy and wears the mess out of break pads) sound is almost like a break booster activation noise or something
No rear locker, only center locker (I think?)

Wife and I test drove it for over an hour last night as the sun was going down.. It drove well to say the least (besides power steering issue which should be fixed before purchase) and the driver's seat will allow my 5'2" wife to see perfectly over the front of the car if she ever needs to use it.. This will be my secondary vehicle for the time being (vacay, mountain trips, beach trips, hauling, etc.) as I drive an economy car to and from work that gets 30-40mpgs haha And we are having a mechanic look the entire vehicle over today before I make the two hour drive to buy it.

Educate me before I buy this thing!

Most of the cons you listed really aren't that bad except maybe the brakes.
There is a test you can do for the brake actuator pump (vehicle pump pedal 40 times to evacuate system, turn to ON position and listen under hood to pump, lots of noise then it possibly may be going). But it could also be that the pads are worn or contaminated. Mine made nasty squeaking on stopping, all were in good shape and OEM pads except one had some contamination. PO said it was time for fronts, really was an hour or so job and bit of money for me to swap pads and zero issues since.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think incorrect power steering fluid (it takes ATF I think) would cause steering malfunctions especially if there is air in the lines?
It could... but as long as it has been corrected and was corrected fairly quickly the lasting affects should be minimal. But the caveat there is SHOULD BE.
The one who could answer best is @2001LC as the guru in these parts. In my mind, the worst I could see happening is having to replace the steering rack and PS pump. That COULD be costly and time consumptive but as toward "other" damage that it may cause to the vehicle, I believe it is a completely isolated system so you should not have any ripple affects.

Does the ‘99 LX have AHC? If it does, make sure that it works. We have an ‘01 LX and the height control doesn’t work. Our son is driving it now and we’re looking at having it diagnosed and repaired.

AHC does work, really well. Just heard back from our mechanic and the air ride suspension is recommending replacement due to mileage but it works like it should so we may hold off and just replace with springs if we decide to purchase. Mechanic also just mentioned he recommends the front upper control arms to be replaced along with the powered steering pump and lines.. not the rack though.. wonder how much that'd cost... is it still worth buying? He has already come off the price some.. getting an estimate.

Sounds like a great deal and at 6k entry point which is low should allow some baseline work to take care of those few issues... mileage is no big deal. Once fully baselines expect plenty of life left. Also confirm if timing belt was done... you can run vin through lexus owners which will list all services done at dealer.

@95Fantasma80 Could you link me? Just did carfax on it.. clean clear title, no accidents or damage reported, odometer readings stopped after 128k and timing belt/water pump done at 98k according to carfax.. It has date on the parts on the car but it's so faded and hard to read that I can't make out the date. Maybe Lexus site would have more detailed history? But probably only if done at a Lexus dealership, right?

@95Fantasma80 Could you link me? Just did carfax on it.. clean clear title, no accidents or damage reported, odometer readings stopped after 128k and timing belt/water pump done at 98k according to carfax.. It has date on the parts on the car but it's so faded and hard to read that I can't make out the date. Maybe Lexus site would have more detailed history? But probably only if done at a Lexus dealership, right?

Correct only dealer services are listed. Let us know what you find, some have found dealer queens that were serviced their every 5k and done all required and recommended services... some owners are more frugal and will just do the minimum at jiffy lubes and these are tanks that the minimum is good enough to keep going but its nice to find a hidden gem that's been babied.

Do you think incorrect power steering fluid (it takes ATF I think) would cause steering malfunctions especially if there is air in the lines?
Yes. These PS pumps and racks necessitate clean ATF to function smoothly. I would not be surprised if the system is already leaking, or soon will, with PS fluid in it. Also easy to get air in the PS lines if the FSM bleeding procedure isn't followed to a T.

@95Fantasma80 Awesome thanks for that great to know. Didn't find anything, the site won't let me register or anything.. maybe I can figure that out later. All in all it looks like a decent ride and I'll go ahead with the PS pump and lines DIY and call around to the shops I pulled up on the carfax and see what maintenance they did if they have record, still. Thank you all for all the help and support!! Looking forward to posting a photo tomorrow of the new ride! Picking it up tonight in Birmingham!

1588862975154.jpeg

Drove home like a champ last night from Birmingham, about two hours. Put it on cruise at 65mph and it handled great. I will post more photos this evening/afternoon or tomorrow whenever possible.

This is a photo after barely fitting in the parking garage at work haha I guess I could have put her in low mode to crawl through to the top.

Next bit of work for this rig is going to be immediate water pump, timing belt etc. What do y'all suggest replacing "while you're in there" during this procedure? Got it for next to nothing compared to it's NADA value so I'm excited to get going on the PM ASAP. Thanks y'all

Don't forget about the heater ts while you are doing the other stuff. That is a definite "while you're in there" if you don't know if they have ever been replaced.

@gregnash good advice, thanks! She will sit in the drive way till PS is flushed this Sunday all the while I'm calling around and getting quotes for timing belt/water pump/heater t service... Thanks to everyone for the advice and if anyone has anymore please let me have it!

Power Steering system flushed... no leaks anywhere that I can see.. still bubbling when cap is removed from res. BUT I figured out the steering problem and am now in search of a steering column part haha the u-joints are rusted out and need to be replaced asap.. any ideas?

If it is still bubbling even after the flush that would make me believe that there is air getting in somewhere. What do the PS lines to the rack look like?
Any documentation on the rack being replaced?

Rack bushings were just replaced by PO a few weeks before I bought it. Lines running to the rack look good, no dry rot or rust or anything. Even the lines running from the PS res. look good. Pump looks good and is not leaking.

I did coat the rusty u-joint on the steering column in wd-40 just to see if it made any difference in steering and it moves like butter immediately after being oiled up but as the oil dries up the steering goes back to being difficult which is why I'm thinking it's the steering column.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom