99 LX470 buying question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new the LX/LC 80/100 world. I saw a 99 LX 470 w/193K miles and would like LX 470 owners opinion on this car.

The good:
- decent interior condition
- doesn't have NAV
- almost new tires
- Engine, transmission and diff lock are working normal (drove it around the dealer parking lot)
- no rust
- no visible leaks under or the engine

The bad:
- Air suspension doesn't work. I tried lowering, lifting using the onboard button but the nothing happens
- Body dents and looks like it had body work on the left fender

dealer asking $7,700 and I told him this is barely worth $5K considering what I have to put out of pocket to fix the air suspension and body dents and god knows what else could come up.

What do you guys think of this buy if I can get it at $5K or less? is it worth the risk? or should I look for 2001+ models instead?

your insight is greatly appreciated!

FWIW there is a 98 for sale up the road from me, that is immaculate inside and out. everything works and has brand new michelins on it, one owner with a GREAT carfax. all service done at toyota religiously. 200k miles and they are asking $8800.

so for 5k id be interested. but probably wouldnt fix the dents. its a 17 year old vehicle.

just realize i cant edit, you may check some other things on it besides AHC, when was timing belt/water pump done last? steering rack good? brakes good? manifold been fixed or does it tick?

my brother in law is selling his 03 LX with 310k miles in really nice condition and everything works and its a one owner with nice dealership records for 8500 and has had interest in it.

Absolutely NOT! Find a better one to start with. You know for certain that you have AHC issues (expensive to repair/replace parts). You can replace the AHC with a conventional suspension, but you're looking at $600.00 to $1,000.00 depending upon what you choose.

You do not mention any history of the vehicle having had a Timing Belt change (due every 90K) which should include a water pump and any pulleys/tensioners needed. You'll need to baseline the fluids, check hoses, brakes etc....so there WILL be costs above and beyond the purchase price.

I'd look for a better one.

FWIW there is a 98 for sale up the road from me, that is immaculate inside and out. everything works and has brand new michelins on it, one owner with a GREAT carfax. all service done at toyota religiously. 200k miles and they are asking $8800.

so for 5k id be interested. but probably wouldnt fix the dents. its a 17 year old vehicle.

Thanks. I did more digging on carfax and this is what I found out:
  • Had 3 owners
  • @89K - 90K recommended maintenance service performed
  • @118K 5,000 miles service performed including drive belt changed
  • @153K 5,000 miles service performed
  • all service work was done at toyota dealer
  • on Aug, 2014 Accident reported - It hit a concrete barrier, Airbags did not deploy body work was performed on it on the front

Also here are some pics: 99 LX470

so that said, what do you think it should be worth?

check all the doors for the VIN on them and see if the catalyst sticker is still on the hood. i dont like cars that have been wrecked but some people dont care.

If your going to lift it and ditch the AHC anyways i wouldnt be scared of that failing. but if your buying because of the AHC id probably steer clear because it can turn into a bucket of problems before you know it. Id still consider 45-5 and just put OME parts under it.

check all the doors for the VIN on them and see if the catalyst sticker is still on the hood. i dont like cars that have been wrecked but some people dont care.

If your going to lift it and ditch the AHC anyways i wouldnt be scared of that failing. but if your buying because of the AHC id probably steer clear because it can turn into a bucket of problems before you know it. Id still consider 45-5 and just put OME parts under it.

a noob question about OME parts & work, how much roughly would something like this cost?

Take note that the AHC will not go up or down if the door is open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom