'99 ABS alarm tone with locked rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time lurker, first time poster. Taken care of many niggles thanks to IH8MUD. I have a new behavior with my '99 100 series where I get a steady alarm tone coinciding with the ABS light when I lock the rear diff. From my research here, I guess that is the tone ABS emits when it's failing. The details:

-ABS functions fine in normal driving conditions
-Occasionally I will get the ABS alarm tone coinciding with the ABS light during self-test with a WARM start. The tone stops when the light goes out after POST. I never get the tone or light during normal driving.
-There is no ABS mechanism 'noise' when the light and tone are present with rear diff locked.
-Rear diff lock works fine. When engaging, the rear lock dash indicator blinks a bit then goes solid. ABS light and tone come on. Unlock, light goes out tone stops.
-CDL light comes on when shifting to 4-Low (just corrected that yesterday thanks to this forum using the BECK/ARNLEY Part # 2011788)

Admittedly it's been a while since I needed to lock the rear, but I don't recall that tone. Is there some additional indicator switch failing in the rear? At a loss with this one.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom