97 white paint/body work question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a lady scrap the passenger side fender. No body damage just, bumper endcap and fender flare damage. I spoke to the shop today about respraying my hood and blending all the rock chips. They want to spray clear on the front qtrs and hood. They said it will match better. I know the 045 paint code is a single stage so I need some advice from someone that has gone through this. Let them, I do know the shop and respect their opinion but it bothers me for half the truck to have clear and the other half not.

14FCD191-901C-44B7-A7AC-F8A94D7279AF.jpeg

CC96ABCF-46EC-4387-9271-54F45EAFDE85.jpeg

26508A47-A031-4BC5-B1D4-52EEE452697A.jpeg

It will be just the opposite.

If they apply clear to part of the vehicle the rest will age differenty and look different depending from which angle the light is hitting it.

IME some shops just don't know how to paint a vehicle correctly using a single stage process.

IME some shops just don't know how to paint a vehicle correctly using a single stage process.

^^This ^^

Most body shops these days do insurance work, which is just panel and parts replacement kind of stuff, and they all clear-coat everything. Hard to find a guy to do actual quality paint work anymore.

I have a white (045) HDJ80--pictured in my avatar--that has had one quarter panel repainted by a PO at some point in the past. It was clear-coated by the paint shop, probably because the paint shop either recommended it, or didn't offer any other option. It doesn't match. Like, at all. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to have it stripped and re-painted with single stage paint. I probably won't just because of the expense, but it bugs me every time I look at it.

^^^Ditto^^^. Exactly the same situation with my 96 model. Initially (20 years ago) it wasn't that apparent (clear coated quarter panel) but over the years the clear coat has darkened slightly likely from age/UV exposure. The difference between the clear coat and single stage is now obvious.

If the OP does have the vehicle's paint clear coated it might be good to get in writing the brand of clear coat, how much will be applied (mils thickness), and that it has UV blockers in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom