97 white paint/body work question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a lady scrap the passenger side fender. No body damage just, bumper endcap and fender flare damage. I spoke to the shop today about respraying my hood and blending all the rock chips. They want to spray clear on the front qtrs and hood. They said it will match better. I know the 045 paint code is a single stage so I need some advice from someone that has gone through this. Let them, I do know the shop and respect their opinion but it bothers me for half the truck to have clear and the other half not.

I’m in the same boat. My 80 is an 045 with all of the cup holders possible. I wanted to have a shop repaint all of my flares and they want to clear coat it to match and provide a warranty. I asked them why as it’s a single stage white which should be cheaper and easier. They basically said they weren’t comfortable and the clear coat would be stronger. I’m no stranger to bodywork or painting in the auto industry, so my thoughts are that body shops are lazy and don’t want to change setting on their guns, so they keep it simple.

If they're confident in their work then I would go with their advice. Spraying single stage and achieving a proper match is very challenging for a body shop.

I sprayed single on my rear flares and when I buff the panels it’s really hard to tell a difference. It’s there mainly a little more yellow of that makes sense. I think I am gonna roll the dice and get them to do single on my nose and see how it turns out.

Mentioned this in the other post but if they paint part of your vehicle with two stage process and leave the rest single stage the difference will be noticeable.

For 045 White IMO you need to go with single stage for a repair, or single stage all around, or two stage all around, but not mixed single and two-stage.

Agree, very hard to find anyone who knows how to do single stage correctly anymore. Maybe ship your 80 out to California to one of the shops that do the custom repaints for TV programs like OverHaulin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom