97 Rough start, some smoke, sluggish turnover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So recently my 97 seemed to gradually become more sluggish turning over. It always cranked but made me wonder if the cold weather was zapping the battery. Then it started idling rough when cranked. After a few minutes or putting into gear and gassing it some it seemed fine until I shut it off. Then sometimes the sequence started again, sometimes not. Now I’m also noticing some white smoke until it gets going, then it’s fine til I cut it off. Seems to be getting gradually worse, more sluggish, more smoke, more often. Still, once going runs out fine. Putting it in the shop Monday but what could be happening? Thanks for any advice.

E2179749-42F5-49BD-8914-89D6376497A5.jpeg

Failed to mention. Heater not heating until engine warms up and while giving gas and AC not blowing cold.

That’s a lot of white smoke. You know what this means. Time to run some tests to determine if your HG is blown. I’d start with a compression test.

Have you noticed if the coolant level is dropping?

if you have the time, start vehicle from cold and let run for a few minutes (dont let it get too warm)
1. feel the top radiator hose - does it pressurise very quickly?
2. then remove spark plugs 1 by one and if the HG is on its way out you will see it on the plug(s) -Start at #6 as its the usual culprit

Sounds like an opportunity!! How many miles on the beast?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom