97 lx450 hesitates to move when wheels are turned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone my 97 lx450 does not want to move when the wheels are turned and feels like something is wrong with the front axles, but when the steering wheel is straight car moves fine, thanks in advance and any help will be appreciated

Sounds like the center diff is locked

Hi everyone my 97 lx450 does not want to move when the wheels are turned and feels like something is wrong with the front axles, but when the steering wheel is straight car moves fine, thanks in advance and any help will be appreciated

What he said.

When turning, it feels like it is binding and wants to "hop" around the corner. If you are in Low range, it locks the center differential (CDL) and does that. This is the way the "old school" trucks used to be. Just don't be doing it on dry pavement or it can break stuff.

Or front? Is this a factory 3x locked truck? ARB or otherwise?

Thanks everyone i also found this button which i think engaged the diff lock, is it an aftermarket button or what could this button be, i am new to the 4wd scene and dont have much knowledge

IMG_9458.JPG

That is a common hazzard switch that people use as CDL button in the 93+ years. And if the PO also did the 7pin mod, while that is engaged sums your steering feeling. Don't use on high traction surface, dirt off road only.

That is a common hazzard switch that people use as CDL button in the 93+ years. And if the PO also did the 7pin mod, while that is engaged sums your steering feeling. Don't use on high traction surface, dirt off road only.
Thank you and what does the 7 pin mod do ? and does the car only have a standard oem center diff lock or does it have something else

The center differential has the ability to lock or to allow the viscous coupler to keep the front wheels engaged,and allowing smooth driveline transitions.

During normal "unlocked" operation, you still have "all wheel drive". This will allow the power to be transferred from wheel to wheel with quiet, seamless operation and it provides nice stability of traction on wet roads or on semi-slick surfaces.
However, if you lift one wheel off the ground, you can end up stuck. (I proved this point by driving onto a pile of snow so my front wheels were in the snow, but rear wheels were just entering the snow. My front wheels would spin, but the rear did nothing. When I engaged the CDL, the center locked and there was 50% power to front and 50% power to rear and I drove back out.

If by chance you have the "Magic Dial" of front and rear differential lockers, you get "3X locked" which will place ALL four wheels in the same speed together with 25% of the power at each wheel. This is true 4 wheel drive.
(no front and rear locking differentials get you a true 2 wheels drive ...one in front and one in rear)

The Pin 7 mod allows you to keep your CD locked or unlocked whether you are in 4W high or 4W low range. keeping it unlocked in 4W LOW allows you to drive or back into an uphill driveway on dry pavement using the advantage of lower gear ratios while keeping the driveline unlocked for better steering and maneuvering and not risking breaking parts.

Order of operation:
Everyday driving: CDL off, F/R diff's UNlocked.
Slightly "sticky" or slippery conditions: Lock CDL, F/R diff's unlocked
More sticky or slippery (3" mud, 6" snow) when you are concerned for getting stuck: Lock CDL, Lock Rear Diff only.
You're stuck; Lock CDL, Lock both F/R diff's, Stand on the gas, give it hell. May need to be in 4W low range.

You're only stuck if your wheels aren't turning or you broke something. Otherwise, keep churning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom