'97 FZJ 80--110,000 mi... blown H.G. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I got it back on Monday :D Seems to run just like it did before the h.g.

Mechanic said it was #6 cyl. surprise surprise.... Head was in good shape, so no machine work. Hopefully that doesn't come back and bite me in the ass.

I know it didn't heat up at all, the coolant was still full when I checked it while I was waiting for the tow truck...

They changed the thermostat and valve seals, they also did an oil change.

Bill came to just under $1800.00 I had to pay a 50.00 ded for the gaskets/labor and 75.00 ded for "cooling system work" which is the thermostat. Kind of b.s. the thermostat was around $18 and a few bucks for gaskets and 80.00 labor. Guess I saved a little on that one.

I'm just glad I had the ext. warranty in this case...

Nick

didja vote in the HG poll?

LR_RESQ said:
Glad it all worked out for you. Your 80 doesn't happen to be white, does it? (I live in Lake Oswego, so I'm in Tualatin all the time.)

Nope, dark green for me... I'm only in Tualatin once in a while.

e, I did vote in the poll...I think, there have been alot of polls lately :confused:

Nick

I need some education here..what caused the CEL to come on?

Re: Bill came to just under $1800.00...

Oh, shxx! I'm already shelling out about $800 for a new 94 radiator (parts, labor and tax)...another $1800 if my HG is bad is not good. I don't think replacing the HG as a first project for a non-mechanically inclined person like myself sounds right.

Anyone know of a shop in Salt Lake City that can replace the HG for a little less? I just want to find out in case the bubble test is positive or the dealer tells me that there's coolant in the oil.

CruiserLegolas said:
Re: Bill came to just under $1800.00...

Oh, shxx! I'm already shelling out about $800 for a new 94 radiator (parts, labor and tax)...another $1800 if my HG is bad is not good. I don't think replacing the HG as a first project for a non-mechanically inclined person like myself sounds right.

Anyone know of a shop in Salt Lake City that can replace the HG for a little less? I just want to find out in case the bubble test is positive or the dealer tells me that there's coolant in the oil.

just be sure not to take whatever they say at face value...

If you're are really worried about the HG in the long run but not enough to not drive it right away, you could do a little detour to Slee's and have them put it in. Closer than LA probably?

I'd sure like to see you avoid a mechanic looking at you as a meal ticket. With a new radiator and freshly filled coolant, some bubbles will be present for quite some time (perhaps days). As for oil in the coolant, I'd want to see the actual test printout or whatever they "use" to scientifically determine this (litmus paper, chemicals). Too much potential here for you to get ripped off as an out of towner. If I were in your shoes, I'd pay/thank them for installing the cooling system stuff and head out for a half hour spin on the freeway to see how things shake out. If there's a problem THEN, yeah - you've managed to damage the HG from repeated overheating. But I would want to drive off first rather than being forced to make my decision on this added expense with the truck in THEIR shop disassembled.

After driving off, I'd stop after 10 minutes and be sure the overflow bottle is up to the full line. Obviously this means you'd be wise to have a jug of water with you for the drive. Of course, DO NOT open the radiator cap when hot. The overflow tank is designed to feed the radiator water if it needs it, and this is the correct place to add water to a hot engine.

DougM

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom