96 highbeam headlights are inop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So if I push my headlight/turnsignal switch forward for high beam headlights it goes into high position but the headlights stay on lowbeam. if I pull the headlight turn signal switch away from the dash and towards the drivers seat inwards like if I was going from high to low beam and pull it past the lowbeam slot then the highbeam lights come on and work but I have to hold the lever pulled back for them to work as soon as you let go it goes back to low beam slot which it is supposed to do. I'm thinking the MULTI-FUNCTION switch itself, any ideas?

Try this:
upload_2017-12-1_10-31-47.png

Also a quick check, pull the two head light relays (one black and one brown ) from the fuse box and check the terminals and relay sockets for burning.

Regards

Dave

@Dave 2000 no need to check the relays, the PO HB work when he pulls the handle "I have to hold the lever pulled back for them to work"

thanks so much to everyone! I will get a switch coming, is there any posts on replacing this thing on here that you know about DINO?

Update, I replaced the dimmer switch and my headlights work great now so it was definitely the cause. Issue is now the airbag light is on and I can’t get it off?? My horn and cruise control still work so it can’t be a broken clock spring right? When I hook up the Solus scanner it won’t show or detect an airbag code? Here is a screenshot of the message it put on the screen. Any thoughts or ideas? Also everytime I hooked the battery back up and started the truck the idle was all over the place and tried to die. After a few minutes it ran fine and continues too as long as I don’t disconnect the battery.

C7DDEADE-0285-4D22-86F5-395911E8CA94.jpeg

405F5DC2-A784-42CC-A757-59B93181439A.jpeg

Snap On scan tools do not recognize the airbag module on the 80 series (or VGRS on the 100 series) You must use an Autel scan tool. I’d double check your connections at the airbag and make sure the wires didn’t get pinched when you bolted the airbag back to the steering wheel.

Resetting the airbag light is done via the "diagnostic" port on the RS of the firewall in the engine bay.

Proceedure is in the FSM - it's a simple paperclip/jumper wire deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom