96 80-Series Overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Others please chime in here- would a quick-fix be to:

1. have the radiator rodded out

and

2. lock the fan clutch manually, as discussed in this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50866
so it always rotates at maximum speed? (mabrodis is the one who
first posted about the hacked fan clutch)

Also, have they replaced the thermostat?

Last edited:
You should have called me today. I could have sent one up Saturday delivery.

At this point the only option I see is trying to lock the clutch up.

If you can't fix it yourself, which is perfectly understandable, tow it to somebody who can. Don't drive it. Get a rental. Sounds like more than just a fan clutch problem.

Thanks for all the advice. I wrote down all the part numbers, so I know what to ask for. I'm here in Utah with my daughter for a softball tournament and the good news is that we are in the championship game at the Triple Crown World Series.

Anyways, one of the parents had the AAA-Plus membership and I had my 80 towed to Mark Miller Toyota in Salt Lake City. I'm going let them diagnose the problem and see what they recommend. If a new radiator is in order, I will ask for the 93-94 version.

I really appreciate all the advice and I will post an update when I can.

What to do now?

The Toyota dealer is sending my radiator to a shop to see if they can clean it out. Should I have the radiator rodded? Or should I just get a new 93-94 radiator?

The dealer is not telling me if this will fix the overhearing problem, but this is their first diagnosis. I'm back in Los Angeles and my 80 is still in Salt Lake City.

I'll have to get a cheap flight to go pick it up, but I cannot afford the 80 overheating on my way back to LA. Therefore, I'm willing to get a new radiator as long as it solves my overheating problem and gets me back home in one day.

Or does anyone know of a transport service that can get my 80 back home at a reasonable price?

Also, can Dan ship a 93-94 radiator to the dealer in SLC?

dang, problems on the road, my ultimate nightmare...!

good to see the helpfulness of folks here, though..

good luck and you're doing the right thing not driving the beast!

I just realized...

...that the overheating problem is a prelude to the head gasket problem. Even if I get the cooling system replaced (radiator, water pump, stat, fan clutch, etc.) I'm now prone to the head gasket problem.

I read Dan's post on how he's avoided this problem, but now I'm a little worried about driving it back in the scorching heat -- at least it's downhill most of the time except for a few uphills (from SLC to LA).

I do appreciate all the help I'm getting here, but it's a nightmare trying to figure out what to do.

cruiserlegolas- shipping the truck back to LA should be around $500-600. I've had 2 good experiences with AAA Advatnage Auto Transport shipping from IL to CA. You can find them at http://www.carmoves.com/

First have them check the flow through the radiator to see if it is clogged, replace thermostat and fan clutch (relatively cheap) and see if that fixes the problem.

CruiserLegolas said:
...that the overheating problem is a prelude to the head gasket problem. Even if I get the cooling system replaced (radiator, water pump, stat, fan clutch, etc.) I'm now prone to the head gasket problem.

I read Dan's post on how he's avoided this problem, but now I'm a little worried about driving it back in the scorching heat -- at least it's downhill most of the time except for a few uphills (from SLC to LA).

I do appreciate all the help I'm getting here, but it's a nightmare trying to figure out what to do.

well, it's probably fair to say that if you have overheating problems you are putting your HG etc at risk, but I wouldn't say that if you have had cooling problems and these are now fixed, e.g. with new rad, you are at risk if you drive further, assuming you have not done any damage yet.
So, I would guess that if you fix the problem, and there is no indication of incipient HG problem, you are probably OK to drive it back. Heck, short of replacing the HG, what else can you do anyway? Just make sure the cooling system is up to snuff and take it easy.

In doubt, ship it or tow it back. You rent/borrow a truck and trailer and you're back the same day...

Radiator cannot be fixed

The radiator shop says they cannot fix it. I'm trying to purchase one from Dan and ship it to them.

Should I automatically change the water pump and the stat? The dealer says the pump is dry, so no need to change.

93/94 radiator ordered from Dan

Mark Miller Toyota was nice enough to accept the 93/94 radiator from Dan and I've requested that they replace the stat as well.

I'm going to test my luck next week once my 80 is fixed and drive it back. I'll post my adventure then.

The dealer will let me know if the fan clutch is working well.

I would change the rad to a 94 one, new stat and new fanclutch. Then flush and put in clean toyota red. I bet you won't be able to get it hot. Been there done that.
Good luck,
Sean

93/94 radiator ordered from Dan

Mark Miller Toyota was nice enough to accept the 93/94 radiator from Dan and I've requested that they replace the stat as well.

I'm going to test my luck next week once my 80 is fixed and drive it back. I'll post my adventure then.

The dealer will let me know if the fan clutch is working well.
What a great story, how did it end?
Did the radiator fix it,?
Was your hg blown?

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the story.

I'm having temp issues and the res is boiling over,

Was your hg blown?

Use 'Search' for possible fixes.
Start a new thread if nothing pops up.

Was your hg blown?

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I too am curious as to what the outcome was CruiserLegolas?

Was your hg blown?

Looking at one of his other post it looks like the radiator was no good, and couldnt be salvaged. This was after he switched from red to green coolant. The got from Dan fixed the issue and he hasnt had a problem in 3.5 years, when he made that post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom