95 pickup questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody used a land cruiser front axle for a SAS in a 95 pickup? I have an 80s fj40 axle and was looking for some info.

I've seen people use them before, but honestly I would rather go with a straight axle out of a 79-85 pickup. The problem with using an FJ40 Axle is that they are a little wider so you'd probably have to swap in a FJ40 rear axle too otherwise it would look kinda silly. I mean you could put wheel spacers on the rear so they stick out the same amount but it'd just be easier to go with a 79-85 axle.

I've seen people use them before, but honestly I would rather go with a straight axle out of a 79-85 pickup. The problem with using an FJ40 Axle is that they are a little wider so you'd probably have to swap in a FJ40 rear axle too otherwise it would look kinda silly. I mean you could put wheel spacers on the rear so they stick out the same amount but it'd just be easier to go with a 79-85 axle.
I see you are doing a simular build..I just picked up a 95 (cheap) and have the 40 axle laying around already rebuilt. Would there be any other concerns besides the width? I plan to build a good huntin truck/ weekend warrior without spending a fortune. I have a daily driver.

Last edited:
20170329_193007.jpg

I see you are doing a simular build..I just picked up a 95 (cheap) and have the 40 axle laying around already rebuilt. Would there be any other concerns besides the width? I plan to build a good huntin truck/ weekend warrior without spending a fortune. I have a daily driver.

Absolutely there are some other concerns - you will have to measure where the spring perches are in relation to your frame. If the axle is too wide then you may need to do outboard spring hangers to match the FJ40's locations.

Something like this:
ob2.jpg

I'm not a big fan of outboard hangers, but you could maybe get around that by cutting the housing down but that takes a lot of work and a lot of precise measuring.

Trust me - it can be done. But a SAS is already hard enough to begin with and starting off with the wrong axle is just going to make it 10x harder. Just sell the 40 axle and get the right one for the job.

Just my .02.

Good luck & nice rig!

What's inadequate with the stock setup? It's a pretty tough and capable IFS.

The IFS setup is great for anybody just wanting to run the vehicle stock, but when it comes to lifting, strength, flex and durability the solid front axle is the way to go. When offroading the IFS you have to worry about CV boots ripping, CV axle angles, etc etc. There are just so many drawbacks to this early style of IFS (torsion bar setup). The 96 and newer Toyotas with the coil spring IFS are much more capable and perform much better offroad than the earlier torsion bar setup and very rarely are swapped out for straight axles.

Depending on your level of skill, it's not that big of a deal in my opinion. Were you planning on a cut and turn on the axle? It's just grinding and welding at the end of the day.

I am working on a SAS on a 94 using built FJ60 front and a FF FJ80 rear.

kiss the MPG gbye when you swap out that IFS...

Got it in the shop for a tune up, power steering pump and idler arm replacement. Should help it for a little while... I think the SAS will wait a Cheap lift and tires are on the list for now.

I bought an 85 single cab yesterday...body is Shot and it doesn't have a motor. I plan to scrap the body and frame, I will sell the rear axle, Trans and transfer. Keep the front axle for the 95 I have a set of 35" BFGs all I need is the TG IFS eliminator kit. Any takers on the listed parts they need to go.??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom