95 fzfe auto backlash loading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read the posts so far but would like a bit more info please lads.
When in drive (it's an auto) and not under load, she will change from first and bang. Backlash?
Can then drive the same way but have it under load and no problems.
What exactly is the problem?
I love me 80 and want this fixed but don't want to get gouged having someone look at it and not being exactly sure what the problem is.
All comments greatly appreciated.

What happens when you press your "2nd" button?
The point of it is for starts on slippery surfaces, meaning it starts from 2nd without using your 1st gear.

The most obvious bad actor here would be a bad synchro / upshift in my mind, but I have never torn down our transmission, so I'm not an expert.

Does it do the same if you "floor it" & it kicks back down, or is it strictly the 1-2 upshift?

Low hanging fruit - what's the level & history of the trans fluid - have you adjusted anything lately?

Frankly with the abudance of used, low miles trans in the USA, if a known expert told me I had identifiable issues with a trans, I bet the smart $$ is swapping in a used unit.

We don't have the "schoolbus" trans, like early 1fz's or 3fe's - a tradeoff for full float rear axle.

Are you in the USA (just assumed, realized that may not be the case)?

What happens when you press your "2nd" button?
The point of it is for starts on slippery surfaces, meaning it starts from 2nd without using your 1st gear.

The most obvious bad actor here would be a bad synchro / upshift in my mind, but I have never torn down our transmission, so I'm not an expert.

Does it do the same if you "floor it" & it kicks back down, or is it strictly the 1-2 upshift?

Low hanging fruit - what's the level & history of the trans fluid - have you adjusted anything lately?

Frankly with the abudance of used, low miles trans in the USA, if a known expert told me I had identifiable issues with a trans, I bet the smart $$ is swapping in a used unit.

We don't have the "schoolbus" trans, like early 1fz's or 3fe's - a tradeoff for full float rear axle.

Are you in the USA (just assumed, realized that may not be the case)?

So in drive and second gears there is "slack" when on an an idle or slow take off. The gear change is not necessarily warranted, but it changes/bangs anyway. Like its slipping. If I drive it heavily, or under load, I never have an issue. I'm driving it like this because I have to not because I want to. Cheers

So in drive and second gears there is "slack" when on an an idle or slow take off. The gear change is not necessarily warranted, but it changes/bangs anyway. Like its slipping. If I drive it heavily, or under load, I never have an issue. I'm driving it like this because I have to not because I want to. Cheers
Its been an issue for several years but now it's to the point that I need to sort it out. Just don't know what to sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom