94 Starter issue ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to get some opinions on a starter issue I had the other day. My 94 with 120k and newer starter (says the po) is not a daily driver and it sits parked in the garage most of the time. After I did a thorough wash with the garden hose of the undercarriage of the truck (even though it did not need it) and around the engine, starter and after the truck sat a couple days, I went to start it and nothing. Lights were on the dash but only a quick click. So while I had the key turned over, my father tapped the starter with a hammer and it turned over and started. My question is could some water from the hose gotten in the starter and froze it up or is this a sign of the starter going out? Replace contacts or get a new starter? I usually take this truck into the hills with my 8 year old son and dont want to be stranded. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you for the quick response Summit Cruisers. I saw that thread as well and I may have to do it but will first replace the contacts and plunger first like you mentioned. Do you think some water may have gotten in somewhere and froze the starter? Just asking because the starter does look new.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response Summit Cruisers. I saw that thread as well and I may have to do it but will first replace the contacts and plunger first like you mentioned. Do you think some water may have gotten in somewhere and froze the starter? Just asking because the starter does look new.

Aftermarket starters are typically not sealed or built as well as OEM ones. I would imagine that the starter brought in some water which created your no start issue. When you do the contacts and plunger make sure to check the seals, gaskets and any areas that could bring in water. If any are found, I would seal up with a urethane or RTV sealant.

I've done the tap tap on the starter when mine did the clicking trick too! Summit's advice is right on! If you can tackle the contacts/plunger replacement it'd be cheaper...me, I just replaced the starter. :banana::wrench:

My Mexican mechanic rebuilt my starter with parts I supplied, new plunger and contacts.
He said it was actually just fine but he put the new parts in anyway. It still balks at starting now and then.
The hammer trick works every time. It also seems to indicate that the plunger is sticking as I do hear clicks when I turn the key.
Thoughts?

I appreciate the advice. I need to order the parts and tear into it.

If it's not your daily, likely best to take it apart and then decide on the best action. As mentioned, most of the aftermarket rebuilds are slip shot, whenever possible we go with Denso. Unfortunately it looks like they are discontinuing the F motor starter.:mad:

Have seen; wrong contacts/plunger, missing gasket/o-rings, breathers, etc. Some have been simple problems, like contacts not properly seated/tightened, others junk under the nice new paint (called a Krylon overhaul). Take it apart and see if it's worth messing with, or better to just order a Denso brand reman.

I will probably tear into it and go from there. Can you guys recomend anyone for the Denso brand you mentioned? Man I love this site, everyone is always so helpful.

If it's not your daily, likely best to take it apart and then decide on the best action. As mentioned, most of the aftermarket rebuilds are slip shot, whenever possible we go with Denso. Unfortunately it looks like they are discontinuing the F motor starter.:mad:

Have seen; wrong contacts/plunger, missing gasket/o-rings, breathers, etc. Some have been simple problems, like contacts not properly seated/tightened, others junk under the nice new paint (called a Krylon overhaul). Take it apart and see if it's worth messing with, or better to just order a Denso brand reman.

The Denso part# 280-0169 Google will bring lots of options, RockAuto is solid. But in this case we usually buy local, with shipping, then sending the core back, not worth it?

I have the same issue and plan on changing contacts. How did you all get the wretched thing off? I am having a difficult time removing! Any help is appreciated.

I pulled off the tire to get easier access to it. Disconnect the two connectors on top of starter. There's two bolts holding it on. One on top facing to the front and one on the bottom facing to the rear

I've had the same issue with my +/-3 month old rebuilt starter from Mr. T. As a last-ditch effort before swapping it for the old one (with new plunger and contacts), I tried tightening all the bolts and disconnecting-reconnecting the plug a few times. After that (ostensibly wiht a better connection at that plug), the truck fired right up and has for a couple dozen starts since then. Fingers crossed.

I pulled mine as well yesterday, contacts and plugs looked new and fresh but i cleaned them anyways. The truck fried right up a few times but later in the evening it would not start. Tapped the starter a few times with a hammer and it fired, parked it in the garage and it would not start. came back a few hours later and it started. I am just going to go ahead and order a new starter. I inserted a link below, is this the recommended Denso 2.0 starter?

1994-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Starter - Engine Electrical - Denso 94-97 Land Cruiser Starter - 8064-05051778 - PartsGeek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom