'94 heater core R/R - done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The unit>
94FZJ80_heatercore_00153.jpg

94FZJ80_heatercore_00157.jpg

I went with the constant torque clamps. Got them home and had buyers remorse. They are over $4.20 each. I used one for the PHH (block side) then bypassed the metal hose and used Breeze Liner Clamps for the rest. Took the CT clamps back to Napa and bought the liner clamps from a trucking company for a little over $1.30 each >
94FZJ80_heatercore_00170.jpg

New core, new home. I think I paid like $260ish for the core>
94FZJ80_heatercore_00171.jpg

Installed a new CB and MP3 Modulator while I was in there. I somehow lost the stereo antenna inside the dash monster and there was NO WAY that I was pulling sh1t back apart. The OEM antenna had been broken twice so I replaced it and ran a new antenna wire trough the firewall. Need to have that stinking antenna to make a MP3 modulator work. Doh!
94FZJ80_heatercore_00174.jpg

Sorry guys. I guess the host that the pictures were on changed something. I uploaded them all to Mud this time.... left out the last few that had more to do with the CB. Have a ton more pictures in that folder if anyone is looking for something specific let me know. I did this in 2008 and that was a sh1t ton of beers ago... I barely remember the details. I do remember it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The FSM was my best friend.

Later,
Brian

Sorry guys. I guess the host that the pictures were on changed something. I uploaded them all to Mud this time.... left out the last few that had more to do with the CB. Have a ton more pictures in that folder if anyone is looking for something specific let me know. I did this in 2008 and that was a sh1t ton of beers ago... I barely remember the details. I do remember it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The FSM was my best friend.

Later,
Brian
Thanks for taking the time to do this again Brian.
U the man. I will dig in on Monday!

Well, it's five years later, and my dash is apart once again. The o-ring leaked, the replacement used unit I purchased from cruiserparts.net isn't holding pressure, and I am sorely tempted to either solder the whole thing or do the RTV-and-hose routine as per Rimmeh: Heater Core O-Ring Backup Seal

The heater core (87107-60130) and the inlet pipe (87248-60430) are still available from Toyota, the o-ring and clip still aren't, and the complete unit (87150-60330) is no longer available. As beno always points out, don't cheap out and buy the parts you think you will need while you still can.

Just an update for anyone tempted to take a shortcut. The good news is that it took me only two hours to rip the dash apart and confirm that the o-ring was the culprit.

On my '94, the heater core had a "flared fitting" sort of deal (on the driver side of the heater core) that was sealed with an o-ring and held together with a copper clip. Basically, you slide the core and the short pipe together, and the o-ring gets trapped between the two matching flares that face each other. The copper clip is s spring clip that then squeezes the lips of the two flared portions together.

If you buy the "complete" heater core, you get those parts. If you buy the "bare" heater core, you don't. I agonized over that o-ring for days; ended up replacing it with another o-ring that was a very close fit. That, a mere soupçon of silicon grease and a reused copper clip. Of course, that joint is in the passenger compartment, way inside the dash.

Don't stress the clip, be careful with the o-ring and be *really* careful with the short copper pipe that comes from the heater core and goes through the firewall.

By the way, I managed to pull out my heater core without cracking the A/C. When *all* the fasteners were removed, there was just enough play to slide it out. Pointless, as it turns out, since my A/C was empty.

ok,

I have everything out just like in the pics. How in the hell do you remove the heater core and unit as one?
this has turned into a pain in the butt. Now I want to replace a bunch of stuff, deck, steam clean, etc. one day job will now be 2-3 day job.

ok,

I have everything out just like in the pics. How in the hell do you remove the heater core and unit as one?
this has turned into a pain in the butt. Now I want to replace a bunch of stuff, deck, steam clean, etc. one day job will now be 2-3 day job.
I just did all of this a few days ago. having trouble getting the heater box out? what exactly are you asking

I just did all of this a few days ago. having trouble getting the heater box out? what exactly are you asking

yes exactly.
please and thank you

I was able to get mine out without having to take the AC box out. It was difficult. I undid all the bolts that held the AC lines in place under the hood. There is only one stud where the AC box and Heater box overlap but it can be done. Just be very careful .

hmm. I still cant get it to come out.

its a pain. getting it back in is not fun as well. but it can be done

I was able to get it out. Got it back in and just a few more things to install on the dash. I ran out of daylight.
Thanks

Boys and girls... the drip has started and I don't know where to getc a heater core from for my 94. Toyota Canada doesn't have one and if they did it's over 900 bucks... 4wheel auto in edmonton can't get one either.

Any of our friends down south have access to one or want to sell me one? I don't want to have to recore my original as I don't have the time for a week of down time... someone help please!

Last edited:
I absolutely love the write up, detailed photos and descriptions help with anyone doing this. I'm in the same boat as much, except someone else tore mine down and I am slowly putting it back together. Yay me. Anyway I was wondering if you have any more pics or suggestions on how to get the damned heater blower back in. I took it out because some wires were stuck behind it and now for the life of me cant get it back in. Any other photos you have would be super helpful too. Mainly of the dash and all the brackets and how everything correctly bolts back together. Again thanks for everything hope to hear from you soon

i’m missing this o ring and clamp business. anyone have pics of that?

also, these two items seem like the perfect reason to have a “Dark Arts” thread that gives off the shelf part numbers as replacement to OEM.

or are these available as OEM? or do they come with the OEM heater core? i found this part confusing.

is there a ID and cross section on that o ring? [does it make sense to beef it up a little in cross section? that part would be like 10 cents off the shelf. [should it be made of buna i guess since viton is more fuel resistant?]

also where is the clamp please?

lastly what was the reason for pulling the steering wheel again? and is it idiocy to do this without pulling the cooling system?

FSM seems to show pulling the cooling system but leaving the steering wheel.

B428D80D-01FB-441D-A178-E0CE77C9E6F3.jpeg

4D97CBFE-1EB1-4477-9111-B385739A8932.jpeg

8B78B04E-8DB3-45D3-9D82-2E0AE4AFBB60.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom