94 FZJ80 deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By the way, that Website design/maintenance trading deal is a standing offer for Slee Off-Road, because most of the $$ from the work I'm doing will probably go to something "absolutely essential" from Christo, anyway! :D

So what all will I be needing to do the front axle job? I can get a decent price on stuff from the local dealer here. I am needing to get on this pretty quickly because I will be moving 1000 miles to go to a better school (and be closer to MOAB.. but don't tell the folks). I want to have this completed before the drive up there and my future lack of a nice shop to work out of.

PN's and quantities would be very helpful. Thanks.

Cruiserdan,

Thanks for the offer, but haven't been thru New Mexico since I drove out to California from Illinois in 1982. I'm like Semlin, different priorities. Mine are Golf, Golf and Golf in that order. Highly recommended suspension guy from a long time tire guy here in town that I may call when the time comes.

I've been searching for a LC's for the past month. $9500 sounds like a bargain. If you are interested, get the VIN and can run a carfax for you.

I've been warned by a repair shop of repute that the Man-a-Fre kits leak. The previous owner used the Man-a-Fre kit on my Cruiser before I bought it, and it leaked enough after 5K-7K miles that the job had to be redone (then used Toyota parts). Not sure if this is directly attributable to the Man-a-Fre kit or the person who rebuilt it---probably both. :(

If you have done the axle job yourself you know what a slow messy job it is. The last thing in the world you want to do is go back in and do it again because the $50 you saved with after-market parts wasn't such a good idea 6 months later.

You can source the same Timken and Koyo bearings by part number and save a few dollars, getting the same part. Please buy the Toyota seals and gaskets. You will soon forget that you paid a little more for them than for the MAF/SOR/or other kit.

Insist on a "real deal" Toyota inner axle seal if you don't take heed of anything else. Some have said the seals in the kits are the same. If so, then great! Just be certain before you pound that puppy in the axle.

-B-

90310-35010 x 2

:beer: anything else is just not worth it

I did swap out the inner seals with factory ones. And after suggesting that on the SOR forum to someone they replied that the seals in the kit were in fact the same and now had spares. However in my kit there was a difference. After market doesn't always mean inferior parts. Once in a pinch I bought a NAPA air filter for my FJ60. It was the factory filter right down to the part number being molded into the plastic, $3.00 cheaper as well. The kit MAF offers is quite extensive and outside the inner seal I can't see anything that would be an issue. Factory however is a sure bet!

Rick,
Replacing the air filter is a 5 minute job if the NAPA brand doesn't work out. Replacing the axle seals and gaskets is a 15 hour job if you're fast. Took the better part of 3 days for me. :tear:
-B-

-B-, without question putting in an aftermarket part is questionable, especially where if it fails prematurely it costs alot of time and money. On other boards people recommended this kit as being of a quality that would justify using it. I did use it and now have 10k miles since the rebuild without issues. I'm pleased so far and until I have a reason to not recommend it, I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom