92 FJ-80: Issues...help me bring this thing back! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.akoffroad.com
Hate to be the guy that registers and posts what I am hoping is a question with an easy/ known solution. Been lurking here off and on as I needed to find information, I had a lx470 that I sold this last year and recently purchased a 92 fj-80 with some issues. Looking to fix the issues and turn it into a DD, expo and mild wheeler as I already have a built 4runner.

The first issue that I am trying to track down is why I am having a run-ability issue. I first noticed the problem after driving on the highway for 5 miles and then coming to a complete stop. RPM’s dropped from 800 to 200 and almost stalled. It has since started doing it more frequently, not even at a complete stop in park by just revving the engine. Has not actually died yet and requires no additional throttle from me to keep it from stalling.

I did jump the CEL and there are not any codes coming back from the ECU and I also checked out the Fuel pressure pulsation dampener to see if it was missing the set screw and it was still there and tight.
Please see the videos to get an idea of what the RPM’s are doing. Is this a common problem with the 3fe? Been searching and found nothing that has helped.

http://youtu.be/fyL07shPRDI

http://youtu.be/MhRFz5IBFTU

So far, I like the rig and would like to bring it back to 100% as the motor itself seems pretty solid and the whole rig only has 139k on the clock.
Thanks, Josh.

Thanks for the info. I took your advice and started working through the vacuum system. I didn't find any glaring issues so I started working with other issues that might introduce un-metered air to the system. After some trouble shooting I determined that something was going on with the smog system, specifically the ASV. Disconnected the vac line going to the ASV and the problem has seemed to resolve itself.

I wasn't going to de-smog but I guess now that it is actually creating problems, I will.

Much appreciate the help, care to offer some more incite to a few 80 questions?

The next item to determine whether this rig is worth investing money into is the transmission. From what I have read, to do it right, a rebuild can be costly. As much as I like the rig, I have a hard time spending double on what I paid for it to have the transmission rebuilt. It seems to be shifting without issue and not slipping but when at speeds over 30 mph it has a rather harsh engage/disengagement when coming off the throttle or applying throttle from coasting. Shift points seem to be in the right spots and from I have read lock up only occurs in 4th gear, it does this 2nd and 3rd gears too. I checked the fluid level and it looks to be clean and at the correct level. I plan on flushing the system and changing the filter.

Any more suggestions? Really appreciate the help.

Josh.

I plan on flushing the system and changing the filter.

Any more suggestions? Really appreciate the help.

Josh.

You may not want to flush the tranny, but rather do a couple of drain-and-fills. You can warm it up, drain the pan, refill it and drive it. Drain again and refill. Should replace most of the old ATF in the system. Just a thought, but flushing can sometimes cause more issues than resolutions as you will dislodge a lot of stuff that has been in place for a while. Several threads on here relating to this subject.

As far as the hard shifting, I've got the same exact issue and it doesn't seem to be the transmission but instead, slop in the drive train. I know I've got a couple of bad u-joints and I've read that the drive flanges are notorious for getting worn on these rigs. I'm working through some motor issues right now, but the clunking is next on my list. I've had some decent luck with just lubing the grease fittings on the u-joints and drive shaft yolks. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, think I will drop the pan and then change a few gallons of ATF through it just to be sure. The drive line seems to be pretty tight and well lubed without too much slop. I'll pull the drive shafts and see if there is any play in the splines on the flange. I guess at the very least I know it's not a sign of impending doom for my trani if others are having similar symptoms.

I appreciate the tech on this board. A thread popped up with another issue that I am having, leaking windshield. Going to try and seal it from the outside before I pull the windshield and order a new seal. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-fix-your-leaky-windshield.328597/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom