'91 Toyota LC coolant flow direction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jul 4, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
4
Location
Shoreline
I'm working on my 1991 FJ80 LC with the 3FE 4.0L engine. During the replacement of the radiator, water pump and thermostat, I decided to change out a few heater hoses and found some of the steel lines corroded bad enough that they need some attention at a later date. In the meantime for expediency, I'm leaving them out and just running rubber hoses to replace the sections of steel conduits.
My question; on the hose that runs from the water pumps lower radiator hose arm to the heater core and the engine oil cooler, what direction is the flow?
I need to know for sure because placement and orientation of a Y connector in relationship to flow direction.
My assumption is, that line is under suction and therefore the coolant flow direction is returning to the pump.
Any info is appreciated, thanks!
 
Coolant is coming out of the block via thermostat housing to the top of radiator and return from the bottom radiator back to the block via the water pump/
 
From the Toyota FSM:

1791399421227.webp
 
Cool!!! Thank you! That diagram is what I was looking for. I knew that based on what I had read about that being the low pressure side and the fact that the pipe enters the line coming from the bottom of the radiator, that is the only thing that made sense but sure didn't want to find out the hard way, I was mistaken. Thanks Again!!!
 
Good job Jon! You gave him exactly what and everything that he needed, quick and to the point. :)

Mark...
I'm here to help. Or patronize and annoy.
 
Hey, I appreciate having a place to throw out a belief and either, get it verified or have someone ask me where I left my brain.
Because the heater hose line in question has a T in it, I have two lines running into one with a few different routes I can take to get from point A to point B. I also have a couple different fittings on hand. I'd like to "not" cause a slow down in the flow rate in the system. Having a full and accurate understanding of the situation I'm dealing with, helps immensely.
 
Hey, I appreciate having a place to throw out a belief and either, get it verified or have someone ask me where I left my brain.
I LOVE this attitude. I feel the same. I am not asking too many questions, But I still learn something... maybe not every day, because I am not here that much anymore. But there is ALWAYS stuff to be learned in this forum.


I don't care WHO YOU ARE! 😆

And... some of us (GUILTY RIGHT HERE) can tend to come across as know it alls sometimes. Or toss out too much humor and silliness for some of the stuffy thinner skinned types. Never mean... there just is NOT any meanness here on MUD.

You comment shows you are NOT a thin skinned crybaby. Heck you'd probably have been comfortable on Pirate back in the day too. ;)

This is a couple of years late... but as I mentioned I have not been participating much recently, just now getting active again... anyway, a couple of years late, but... Welcome to MUD. ;)


Mark...
 
For what it’s worth, both of the steel lines are available new still if you want to just fix it right. I need to get them uploaded to my site but I have plenty of them in stock
 
The FJ80 version of this pipe is NLA, but the 62/70 version is available and just has an extra port that needs capped (OE service cap that is designed for this is available as well)

IMG_8473.webp
 
I fully plan on fixing it right. My issue is, this rig needs to on the road and fully functional by the 14th. I may be able to blast and recoat the pipe units I have. I just don't have time to make that happen before I have to leave on a trip. As long as everything is working properly and there aren't any leaks, I'm golden til I have more time to dig into it. Plus, I'm working outside in the PNW and our weather is gonna change soon. I've been lucky to get the sunny days I've had up til now.
As soon as I'm ready, I'll hit you up. Thanks again
 
Back
Top Bottom