91 FJ80 Front Disk Brake upgrade. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As many of you know by now @forrest5000 reluctantly let one of his coveted TLCs go.... His 91 FJ80 Poverty Package (extras listed in my signature)....

Well, I have had the pleasure of driving the new addition to my TLC collection and couldn't be happier with the purchase. After about a couple hundred miles drivers side rear drum cylinder started leaking like a sieve in addition to the noise that was starting to emanate from the passenger front brake. These couple items made me contemplate refreshing the brake system.... However, on the ride home from our Triad TLC dinner last month everything changed when my foot went straight to the floor while attempting to stop somewhere in my neighborhood.

This immediately prompted me to give @beno a call to check up on some parts and prices. I had been also been considering upgrading from oem to the setup that the LX 450 has.

So it was decided! My first major upgrade would be an upgrade / overhaul the entire braking system. Not my first choice for a project but one that was very much needed as it tuned out.

Couple days later the 12" rotors, larger calipers and pads along with new brake lines and new drum cylinders showed up. Everything that Onur said I needed showed up and was spot on!

We are currently 50% done with the upgrade; and yes I said we. Since @erymer is basically responsible for me now having multiple TLCs he has been gracious enough to assist me with this project. I find myself now being just like all the other cruiser heads that I have read about working feverishly to get somthing completed on their rigs right before the next event. My hurried attempt to complete this upgrade is so we can officially attend a ONSC event with a working TLC.

Of course as you all well know; once you start into a project there is always other items that crop up that are added to the "todo" list ... better known as scope creep!

In our frenzied push to complete this job we have been amiss in documenting our progress one for prosperity sake but for those other members who might be interested in attempting the same upgrade.

We have leaned a few things along the way. I will post those to the thread in the next week or so. These little jewels include tools used and how they helped ... tricks learned from outside sources that are worth their weight in gold making the job much much easier...

Anyway, I'm getting long in the tooth here ..... I just wanted to again give a huge THANK YOU to @beno for his advise and his outstanding customer service. There is a lot to be said for professionalism and knowledge! Kudos Onur!!!! Will be ordering from you again!

And especially thanks to @erymer for his assistance and also to his family for allowing him to come help a ONSC brother in need! Well, looking forward to tearing into the rear brakes tonight.

BTW here is a pick of the driver side completed last night.

1279126-2ad7d5e49148fad01ee95b13eced98f5.jpg

Will provide an update on how much of a change the upgrade made! Along with a parts list and tools if anyone is interested.

Look forward to seeing everyone at the "Relic Run" ..... If we make it !! HaHA

20170606_222658.jpg

My pleasure to help buddy. And let's be clear.....there is no if you make it. I'll put that thing on the trailer and drag it there if we need to at this point. lol

I need to do my drums also. When you get a min can you pm me the parts list so I can also order from @beno?

get a used rear axle from a later model and upgrade to 4-wheel discs! turn a $50 rear shoe job into a $700 upgrade...

@TB03 I would be very grateful if you could send me the parts list as well. I'm driving a 1991 as well and it is in serious need of a brake upgrade.

The brake upgrade was one of the best mods that I performed,
Here is a list of all the factory parts you will need to complete the job including Toyota reman calipers, rotors, 100 series pads, knuckle bearings and hoses...
These are all full retail list prices.
IMG_9615.JPG

get a used rear axle from a later model and upgrade to 4-wheel discs! turn a $50 rear shoe job into a $700 upgrade...

I cannot emphasize this enough, this is the best upgrade for rear drums. 100% completely bolt on too.

Does the third from a '91 fit in the newer axle housing, and will the floating axles work? What about the master cylinder? Does that get changed when swapping axles?

I cannot emphasize this enough, this is the best upgrade for rear drums. 100% completely bolt on too.

Does the third from a '91 fit into the newer axle housing, and will the floating axles work? What about the master cylinder? Does that get changed when swapping axles?

I ONLY sell complete rear axles for a reason and this is why. It is 100% complete plug n play. You will have to bleed your lines obviously, but the axle bolts right on. The only other thing needed is 16" rims so the calipers clear. I have sold numerous of these doing just the aforementioned.

I bought a '96 rear axle from you a couple years ago and can vouch for the ease of installation.
I didn't have to think about anything except how to unload the damn thing from the bed of a pick-up by myself with no power equipment.

I ONLY sell complete rear axles for a reason and this is why. It is 100% complete plug n play. You will have to bleed your lines obviously, but the axle bolts right on. The only other thing needed is 16" rims so the calipers clear. I have sold numerous of these doing just the aforementioned.

I only ask, because I already have gears and a locker in my '91. I'd prefer to swap the third over to the new housing, rather than re-gear and buy another locker. I've read that it would not fit in a factory locked axle, but I'm curious about fitment in a non locked housing. What do you think?

Pretty cool that the master cylinder works, going from drums to discs.

I bought a '96 rear axle from you a couple years ago and can vouch for the ease of installation.
I didn't have to think about anything except how to unload the damn thing from the bed of a pick-up by myself with no power equipment.

Yep i remember completely. And that the axle you got was nicer than the rest of your truck in terms of rust :)

I only ask, because I already have gears and a locker in my '91. I'd prefer to swap the third over to the new housing, rather than re-gear and buy another locker. I've read that it would not fit in a factory locked axle, but I'm curious about fitment in a non locked housing. What do you think?

Pretty cool that the master cylinder works, going from drums to discs.

Assuming we're talking stock gears, the gearing is the same , 4.11s. You'd have to install your locker or swap out your chunk. The latter is what I would do based on what you stated. It much easier to do when the axle is on a set of jack stands with the flange on a jack.

Assuming we're talking stock gears, the gearing is the same , 4.11s. You'd have to install your locker or swap out your chunk. The latter is what I would do based on what you stated. It much easier to do when the axle is on a set of jack stands with the flange on a jack.

Right. I have 5.29 gears now. Assuming my chunk would fit in a newer, non locked housing, it would be advantageous to upgrade to the full floating axle and gain disc brakes in the rear. If I can get the fitment confirmed, that upgrade will be moving up on my to-do list.

Did the parking brake cables fit, or did the axle include them?

Yes it will fit.

Great news! Thanks. :cool:

When I sell an axle the parking brake is included. As stated it's all plug n play. That's what @Golgo13 got. I can't speak to anyone else selling them

That's awesome. Thanks, @arcteryx

No problem, glad to help. They're getting harder to find because the supply is shrinking, so do it soon regardless of whether you get it for me or someone else.

I went with the 96 rotors and calipers on my 91.
IMAG1996.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom