91 FJ80 Front Disk Brake upgrade. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, it should also be noted that, in the front, as long as you match year with the rotor and caliper, it is no problem to swap them out.
the slightly larger rotors have a different off-set and need to have the correct caliper to assemble properly.

So the 96 rotors a calipers bot right on a 91?

Yes, but the rotor cover/shield needs to be removed. Replace it with a spacer. I believe Trail Gear makes the spacers.

The brake upgrade was one of the best mods that I performed,
Here is a list of all the factory parts you will need to complete the job including Toyota reman calipers, rotors, 100 series pads, knuckle bearings and hoses...
These are all full retail list prices.
View attachment 1475257
Hey @Crab Sack , did you have to increase your rim size to accommodate this?

Last edited:
@arcteryx I emailed you about an axle, forgot to ask what years fit with the FJ80 to FJZ80 axle swap?

I will be running 33s with steel wheels. Seems most here are doing this for 37s and heavy rigs. The only added weight I have right now is a winch, but plan on some armor and LR gas tank but nothing too extreme in terms of weight. I am bolstering the rig for seasonal towing of oak firewood short distances. Not sure if I need a trailer with brakes or not. Looking at 6x10 single axles for about 1/2 cord loads. thx

The brake upgrade was one of the best mods that I performed,
Here is a list of all the factory parts you will need to complete the job including Toyota reman calipers, rotors, 100 series pads, knuckle bearings and hoses...
These are all full retail list prices.
View attachment 1475257
I'm looking to upgrade my 91' LC front brake system. I understand that I can use 96' roter and caliper for this operation. I saw the parts breakdown in the post. I would like to get an updated cost for the parts needed. I already have stainless steel braided lines, will they still work with the new calipers? I tried to PM Onur but didn't accept it.

I'm looking to upgrade my 91' LC front brake system. I understand that I can use 96' roter and caliper for this operation. I saw the parts breakdown in the post. I would like to get an updated cost for the parts needed. I already have stainless steel braided lines, will they still work with the new calipers? I tried to PM Onur but didn't accept it.
Yes the stainless steel brake lines work with 96 caliper's. Just did the upgrade on my 91.

Looking at the parts list OP bought for this, why do the knuckle bearings need to be replaced? p/n 90366-20003

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom