91 fj80 2nd gear deceleration issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a 91 fj80 that shifts perfectly through acceleration. The issue is in 2nd gear and letting off the gas pedal, I have a hard shift/clunking noise. This is the only time it happens and only if in 2nd gear and release of Gas does it happen. Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks jon

Check your drive flanges

And the U-Joints an motor/trans mounts.

Maybe your kickdown cable is to tight? Should be .5mm-1.5 from red/orange boot to the bead on the cable.

Feedback?

The clunk is usually associated with the transmission kickdown cable being too tight as @Alleycats mentioned. In my experience the sound comes from the driveline slip yokes being dry and worn. Try loosening up the kickdown cable just a bit and grease the driveline yokes with moly. Do not overgrease the yokes, just pump grease until the end moves ever so slightly towards the transmission/transfer case. Once it moves, remove the grease zerk to allow any excess pressure grease to release, then reinstall zerk.

Thank you all, I'll check the kickdown cable first then go from there. I'll follow up with what I find. Thanks again, jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom