91-94 Passenger dash grab handle install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr

SILVER Star
Threads
I finally found and had time to install a gray grab handle I purchased from @landcruiserjunky.

It is probably about a 30-45 minute install if you aren't taking pictures and wandering around looking for tools.

I started by removing the two screws on the bottom of the glove box, and then the two screws on the plastic trim piece on the side that covers the dash speaker.

image.jpeg

Just feeling behind the dash reveals two mounting plates where the handle's threads go through.

This one is closest to the passenger door. The one in the center of the truck is a little harder to get to.

image.jpeg

I then pushed slightly from the back of the dash to see where the stud would slide through the dash.

image.jpeg

For the inward most mounting spot, a bent nail proved to be the best way to start poking a spot in the dash from behind.

Due to the tight area on the grab handle's design, the inside edge of the left mount needs to be the most precise so I judged all of the cutting by doing that side first, and then working on the side closest to the passenger door.

image.jpeg

It was pretty nerve racking to poke holes in my perfect dash.

I then used a punch to just slightly enlarge the holes to make sure I could get the studs on the grab handle through both foots. I made my final adjustments based on how it lined up.

image.jpeg

Edit: fixed pictures

Last edited:
I then traced out where to trim to get the inner brace of the handle through the dash.

image.jpeg

Measurements (in mm)

~27mm
image.jpeg

~58mm
image.jpeg

This one is a little bit harder to accurately measure to the center. I tried my best to depict the measurement. It's better to poke this hole straight from behind the dash and go from there.

~69mm
image.jpeg

67.66mm
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I then traced them out and cut relief cuts with a box cutter. You don't need to cut the dash holes as big as the plate that goes in as it can be wiggled in and then the brace reduces in diameter.

image.jpeg

Washers and 10mm nuts then go on the back and are tightened until snug.

Awhile back, I was at 4wheelparts having new tires put on my mom's LX470 and a couple J**p owners were unsure why their vehicles had these grab bars across their dash. It wasn't much long after that when one of them suggested it's probably best used in the event of a crash so the passenger can hold on to something. After they started talking about color matching bedliner to their plastic flares I left.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good!
A couple of questions (forgive my weak search-fu)

1. How tight is the room behind the dash? Flex head ratchet needed? Or 10,000 turns of 2 degrees each?
2. Is there a flanged nut involved? Is it a Nylock, lockwasher, or would you recommend some Locktite blue on the nut?
3. What was the approximate cost of the handle? Are they available in bowel movement brown as well as grim grey?
4. How solid is it? Is there a steel core in the handle or is just plastic? I'm trying to figure out how well it would hold up to death gripping spouse who has amazing strength when adrenalized.
5. Tell me more about your steel console there....
6. Seat covers....tell me more.

Brandon

4. How solid is it? Is there a steel core in the handle or is just plastic? I'm trying to figure out how well it would hold up to death gripping spouse who has amazing strength when adrenalized.

It's very strong, designed by Mr. T to do the job. I've always found it weird how some markets got stuff like this, and others didn't.

It's very strong, designed by Mr. T to do the job. I've always found it weird how some markets got stuff like this, and others didn't.

Some markets don't have crash regulations. Also, some markets you really need that grab handle for daily driving due to really crappy road conditions or because of typical usage in that market...

Looks good!
A couple of questions (forgive my weak search-fu)

1. How tight is the room behind the dash? Flex head ratchet needed? Or 10,000 turns of 2 degrees each?
2. Is there a flanged nut involved? Is it a Nylock, lockwasher, or would you recommend some Locktite blue on the nut?
3. What was the approximate cost of the handle? Are they available in bowel movement brown as well as grim grey?
5. Tell me more about your steel console there....
6. Seat covers....tell me more.

Brandon

1. The space behind the dash isn't that great on the inside side. The side closest to the passenger door is easily accessed. The other hole is a little tighter. That's why I had to bend the nail to push from behind. I used a flex head 10mm ratcheting wrench.

2. There's a big washer that has an equal diameter to the back of the mounting surface. Then a flanged nut goes on.

3. For cost and color, ask @landcruiserjunky.

4. There is a steel core inside the handle. Probably at least 3/4" thick.

5. I built the center console. Here's the thread
Center Console Build w/ 4 Cupholders!

6. Seat covers are Wet Okoles. Very comfortable and I put 1" memory foam style padding beneath both pieces of the cover for more comfort (seat base and seat back are separate covers). Only complaint is that I wish I had gone with gray instead of beige as the beige has gotten dirty over time.

Last edited:
Wow, I just shoved a screw driver through from the back when I did mine, no measurements needed!

Looks good! and useful!

Thanks that is basically what I did with mine, but also measured it out incase anyone installing one had doubts and wanted to make sure they weren't about to ruin their dash.

I got a wild hair about 15 minutes ago and decided I needed to install mine that I had bought a month ago... granted it's 11:30PM... took me all of 10 minutes.... super easy job... poke a screw through the easy side. use handle as template for where to drill other hole... razor blade to cut out area for steel pipe portion of the handle.. boom... the hardest part was getting a wrench up in there to tighten the inner bolt... looks great... color matched perfectly with my grey interior!! cheers to @landcruiserjunky

Nice write up, I need to do this but have been a bit nervous cutting the dash. Those are great for a passemger on the trail, I know my wife would appreciate it.

Put one on my '94 and it was a little sketchy, but since 95+ is flat on both feet locations it'd be hard to mess up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom