Builds '88 Italian Spec BJ 73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

21 smontaggio leve.jpg

So I removed the levers , I covered the entrance with newspaper and tape to prevent the entry of foreign bodies

26.jpg

After removing a mess of components I put the " baby " on a cart to take him for a walk !

29.jpg

Oil leak from rear crankshaft seal

30.jpg

Then disassembling the motor flange / gearbox

31.jpg

33.jpg

This is the last main bearing that serves as the seat of the oil seal

85.jpg

New seal ready for mounting

86.jpg

87.jpg

I enjoyed it a bit ' with the sealer and then mount the motor / gearbox flange

88.jpg

The red circle is the O-ring of ' camshaft seat

41.jpg

These pieces were loaded onto a trolley and washed with a pressure washer and a very powerful cleanser

45.jpg

All clean!

82.JPG

Sand blasted...

90.jpg

And painted whit 2K matt black

Then I worked on the gearbox, which showed no malfunction , but had a leak in the rear seal of the transfer , the speedometer gear device , but with the words I did not know better express . Better Photos !!

69.JPG

70.JPG

71.JPG
18.jpg

97.jpg

Note the sludge present on the walls !!! I removed the lid to replace the oil seal shift shaft / gear , there was no spill , made in advance because I had everything taken apart !

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

Tachometer gear whit relative seals

105.jpg

6x18 and 6x19 are the gear/ratio of the Vm'd BJ 73

94.jpg

This is the seals and the OEM number

Changed the Thermostatic oil valve, inserted in the oil filter housing

60.jpg

This one

61.jpg

The problem with this is that by the time you get tired , remaining open and the oil does not reach the right temperature .
In Bj 73 VM is present a heat exchanger for the engine oil , in bottom of the radiator coolant . Remaining open , the oil is always running and does not heat well !

60.jpg

I put a K probe after the turbo ... I do not know if I did well , but did not want to puncture the exhaust manifolds ... I soldered a tube of stainless steel threaded inside to accommodate the probe

50 predisposizione sonda k.jpg

51 predisposizione.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

This is my EGT setup, 12 € probe+3 digit display, from china friend:)

I placed the probe in the first piece of exhaust pipe , just after the turbo down- pipe , because I did not want to drill the exhaust manifold cast iron !

I do not know if it's right:rolleyes: I was afraid of some fracture of cast iron , or impurities that fall in the turbo or the breaking of the probe and subsequent fall in turbo:bang:

Someone has experience about how to behave when the probe is post turbo ? Temperatures pre turbo should be higher ? I have heard different opinions about

Last edited:
The preferred EGT location is pre-turbo, but plenty of turbo kits come with the sensor after the turbo just like that. I installed a Banks turbo kit on a 7.3 powerstroke last week that had the EGT sensor right where you put it. The readings aren't quite as accurate, but its certainly better than nothing.

What tyres do you have on the standard rims?
Do you know the part number of the oil thermostat?
Do you have more photos of the flywheel? How is adapted to the Toyota clutch? Do you know the size of the clutch?

In these photos there are Ziarelli Cruiser 255/75-16 on stock rims, today i have Toyo open country mt 235/85-16.

Fattura VM.jpg

In these photo, you can see the part number of oil thermo valve.

017.jpg

Made in Japan, aftermarket Exedy clutch.
275 mm disc, 10 cave.

04-Volano rettificato.JPG

This is the flywheel, it's made "ad hoc" to bolt on VM motor and the original Aisin toyota clutch of the 80's J6 and J7(heavy duty, not LJ)
07-flangia pulita-rdimensionata.JPG

Mounting plate VM/H55F
08- montaggio-ridimensionata.jpg

Flywheel mounted

SDC12033.JPG

H55F without transfer, sandblasted and ready for paint.

SDC11941.JPG

And this is the shaft "10 splines"...

ciao, bellissima LC, dove sei? Mi fa piacere leggere le tue descrizioni in Italiano.

VMOTORI is a brand now owned by jeep.

without using Wikipedia, it was a partnership between German Technology and Italian Technology many years ago. They also make much larger diesel engines including engines for ships? I may be wrong as I'm shooting the s*** from memory.

These engines have been used on a myriad of cars and yes more recently on Jeeps- except the Grand Cherokee in italy. In the past some Defenders had Vmotori engines. The NA Jeep Liberty that are CRD have VMOTORI engines; chrysler bought these engines and tried to over complicate matters so they normally fail. They can be hit or miss; however they are widely used in Europe and very popular in Italy and seem well respected.

ciao, bellissima LC, dove sei? Mi fa piacere leggere le tue descrizioni in Italiano.

Ciao decoco, infatti sono in Italia, in Puglia per la precisione. Grazie per l'auto, che viene curata personalmente in ogni aspetto!
Per quanto riguarda le descrizioni in Italiano è perchè queste sono anche postate nel forum "Registro Land Cruiser Italia", il migliore punto di riferimento in merito ai Toyota nel nostro paese!

VMOTORI is a brand now owned by jeep.

without using Wikipedia, it was a partnership between German Technology and Italian Technology many years ago. They also make much larger diesel engines including engines for ships? I may be wrong as I'm shooting the s*** from memory.

These engines have been used on a myriad of cars and yes more recently on Jeeps- except the Grand Cherokee in italy. In the past some Defenders had Vmotori engines. The NA Jeep Liberty that are CRD have VMOTORI engines; chrysler bought these engines and tried to over complicate matters so they normally fail. They can be hit or miss; however they are widely used in Europe and very popular in Italy and seem well respected.

This is the story

LA NOSTRA STORIA - VM Motori

nice man, what year is this model? ours here in AUS is BJ73 1985 model, mate I am looking for flares to suit LX model

Ciao, year of construction 1987, it's a only mechanical version HD(no electric hubs, no vacuum engage for 4x4, nothing...) made in Portugal with Italian motor VM, minor electric parts are from Portugal and Spain, and all the other parts are Toyota.

I don't have fender flares, don't know...but in this forum there are many example!
Use the search function on forum, is the biggest info archive in world!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom