87 Alternator Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Removed the alt and bracket in order to make room to replace some hoses and clean up the bracket. The alt had some dirt on it, as well as inside via the backside holes. I never took the alternator apart, but attempted to blow some of the dirt out via air compressor. Cleaned up the outside and reinstalled as it was in the beginning. Flushing out the cooling system I noticed the ammeter on the low side.
Removed the battery wire and checked the voltage at the alternator battery terminal while truck was on, and it read 0.05v.
The alternator doesn't have a designated ground wire coming from it, but I know (I think) it is grounded cause its bolted to the block and the multimeter shows continuity between the (-) battery terminal and the alternator body.

Am I missing something from reinstalling? (I don't think so)
Could the alternator have been on its last leg and I screwed it up when trying to blow the dirt out of it?
Could the alternator have been bad since I've owned it ( a few months) and I haven't noticed cause I've been working on it rather than driving?

1693775353097.jpeg

1693775470890.jpeg

1693775485166.jpeg

The cause can only be guessed but the actual status (bad/good) can be tested. Take it to an auto parts store. They usually have an alternator tester. Call beforehand to verify if they test them.

The cause can only be guessed but the actual status (bad/good) can be tested. Take it to an auto parts store. They usually have an alternator tester. Call beforehand to verify if they test them.
Fair enough. Will probably end up doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom