86 4runner Parking Brake Cable

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by Devilmans Hand, May 4, 2011.

1. Devilmans Hand

Devilmans Hand TLCA #19517

Media:
    Albums:
    Hello everyone

I just picked up an 86 4runner that has a snapped parking brake cable. Every parts source i can find has the option for left or right side parking brake cable. Mine is snapped just after the bracket on the driver side rear.
    [​IMG]

There is one sleeved cable running along the passenger side frame toward the parking brake lever. I just want to make sure that it is the left cable that i need to order and not the right cable or both cables that i need to order.
    What i have closer matches the description of the minitruck parking brake cable rather the description i can find of the 4runner parking brake cable.
    It looks like one cable comes off the parking brake handle and connects into the driver side parking brake after passing through that bracket, while the passenger side cable connects at that little split at the bracket and is pulled whenever the driver side cable is moved. This is just a guess though. I'm new to this truck.

Can anyone please give some insight? I need to replace this asap to pass safety inspection.
    Both cables are about $40 each, but i find it hard that the little 2' section of cable could cost that much.

DMH

2. 2ndGenToyotaFan

2ndGenToyotaFan Ice-Bound Moderator

There are really only 2 cables, the front cable (goes from the Handle to a lever just in front of the gas tank) and the rear cable (From front of gas tank to both rear wheels) The Coil sprung 4Runners (1990+) Have 3, a front, rear Left and rear Right cables, your 86 does not, it should be the same cable as the short bed pickup.

I don't think you can get around replacing the whole thing because of where it broke...

Make sure you get one for an 86-89 4Runner the 84 and 85 have a narrower axle and the cable is not the same width...
    Brake cable.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. Devilmans Hand

Devilmans Hand TLCA #19517

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you sir. That is exactly what I needed to know.

4. BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84 SILVER Star

Revive this thread.

I tried to order the cable in the diagram above for my ‘89 4runner from an online Toyota parts source, but was told it was discontinued. Like the original poster when I search Rockauto for a 4runner cable they give me he option of a “left” and “right”. If I search for an ‘87 pickup cable the pictures look correct.

To confirm, a pickup cable from ‘86 on up should work, right? Or I should quit using Rockauto?

5. 2ndGenToyotaFan

They probably think the 89 is part of the 90-95 body style. As I recall, any 84-88 standard cab, shortbed pickup or 84-89 4Runner should have the same cable setups.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    BlueCruiser84 and pappy like this.
  6. BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84 SILVER Star

That’s what I figured. But I looked up the ‘86, ‘87 and ‘88 just to be sure and it had the same right/left listed.

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe I’ll just go through my local guys so I can return it easily if needed.

7. 2ndGenToyotaFan

Hmmm, yeah that's wrong. Go local! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.