8274 - Lower Housing Age (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
I just purchased two 8274 winches and I need some help matching up bottoms and tops. I have no history on them, other than they both belonged to the same farmer who sold them to the guy I bought them from.

Winch #1:
Date Code: FR4
Ser. #254936
Metal Remote Socket
Round Freespool Handle
Warn confirmed that this winch (top case, at least) was produced in 1974
IMG_1775.jpeg

Last edited:
Winch #2:
Date Code: AF6 - January 6, 1976/1986
Ser. #22035
Plastic Remote Socket
Round Freespool Handle
Warn confirmed that this winch (top case, at least) was produced in either 1976 or 1986, but guessed that it was 1986, since this date code/serial number system was changed in the early 1990s. Also, probably not a 1976, assuming the plastic remote socket was original to this winch, since that change was around 1980.

IMG_1777.jpeg

IMG_1771.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is where I'm a little confused. The bottom cases are different, and I don't know which one goes to which top.

This bottom is on Winch #1 (FR4):

IMG_1778.jpeg

This bottom is on Winch #2 - notice the extra molded piece - see red arrow. I've been searching around for a couple of weeks, and I can see some examples of this bottom, but rarely enough and without any date info that I can't figure out if this was the early lower case that would be correct for the 1974 top, or if this came later. The sticker is gone, so this might even have been one of the Jeep option 8274 winches and maybe that was special to mount them to the Jeep bumper? No idea.

IMG_1772.jpeg

Also, the non-geared housing pieces are different. One has the screw holes for the outer plastic cover, one doesn't. Not sure when that switch occurred:

IMG_1773.jpeg

Last edited:
The only other oddity is the presumably later Winch #2 (AF6) has the Prestolite regular shaft motor, whereas Winch #1 has this Warn motor, which was clearly an upgrade at some point, as it is the splined output shaft and gear. Not 1974 correct, but a good upgrade. Also wouldn't be correct for 1986, so probably not swapped between these two winches. I thought the 04-84 might be a date, but none of the other MRV-B-4 motor pics I have seen seem to follow that logic. The S numbers on the tags don't seem to be a date code on any of the others I've seen.

IMG_1731.jpeg

Last edited:
I suppose Warn could be wrong about the 1974 date of the FR4 winch, if they were assuming the metal socket was original to that case. I could have a Frankenstein winch where the old farmer built one working one out of two old, crusty winches. I imagine the FR4 could be 1984, and that the metal socket front cover could have been robbed from the AF6 winch, that would then probably be a 1976, and not a 1986.

It would be cool for this to be a 1974 winch for my 1974 FJ40, but ultimately both winches are nearly identical, and it probably doesn't matter. I'd just like to build one good one and probably sell the other. Or not. Might be a better investment to clean it up and get it running and just hang onto it, considering how stupidly expensive these have gotten in recent years.

Thoughts?

The Prestolite motor is keyed, the Warn motor is splined.

Both tops have the free spool, so not an 8074, assuming these parts only represent two winches.

Last edited:
The FR4 top case had the more triangular, non knurled freespool knob. The shaft, as you can see is pretty crusty. I’ll probably use the better one as-is, but I’ve seen pics of one other early 8274 for sale on ‘MUD years ago with this same knob and bottom case. No date code listed.

This bottom is on Winch #2 - notice the extra molded piece - see red arrow. I've been searching around for a couple of weeks, and I can see some examples of this bottom, but rarely enough and without any date info that I can't figure out if this was the early lower case that would be correct for the 1974 top, or if this came later. The sticker is gone, so this might even have been one of the Jeep option 8274 winches and maybe that was special to mount them to the Jeep bumper? No idea.

Also, the non-geared housing pieces are different. One has the screw holes for the outer plastic cover, one doesn't. Not sure when that switch occurred:

I have never seen an 8274 lower gear case like that one; I would bet that @gnob 's explanation is correct. I have a Belleview winch (earliest upright winch that Warn bought) in my shop, and it doesn't have any boss like that cast in to it either.

My 1978 8274 has the threaded holes for the outer plastic cover on the end of the drum, if that helps you narrow down the date range.

This is the one I saw here on 'MUD. Same free spool knob, same lower housing, no screws for the outer, plastic drum cover:

@colby1979: Any chance you still have that winch and can help with a date code?

I wonder if Warn was using up some of the old 8074 parts on the early 1974 winches.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have it to help with a date code, did you try contacting the gentleman I sold it to?

Unfortunately I don't have it to help with a date code, did you try contacting the gentleman I sold it to?
Sorry. Brain fart. I thought you were the buyer in that thread.

Looks like @shipmag was the buyer. Any chance you're still in possession of that winch?

Ok, I think I'm getting closer to figuring this out. In this photo, the winch on the left is the AF6 date code winch I purchased. The winch on the right is my uncle's 8274, date code AL6. Both were built in January, six production days apart, and serial numbers only 332 apart. His winch is identical to the winch I have in every way. Same extra lower boss on the bottom case; same older, puck-style brakes; same side piece with no screw holes for a cover; same brake pawl without the internal grooves, zinc fitting, and older-style spring and cover; same older ratchet plate. He got his winch off of a 70s-era CJ and moved it over to his 40 back in the early 90s. We're guessing that these are both 1976 builds.

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 4.21.06 PM.png

The tricky part, that seems to muddy all of this sleuthing, is that he thinks he might have replaced the cover and socket on his. He's got the 80s-era plastic socket, same as one of the two sockets I have:
IMG_1816.jpeg

So, I guess where I'm back to is still confused. I'm thinking these twin AX6 date code winches are probably 1976. The later (?) winch I have with the splined motor, later brake pawl, later ratchet, later brake discs, later groove in the drum gear, etc. is probably a 1984, and not a first year 1974 winch after all. Bummer, kind of. It would have been cool, but I've also got one that is identical to my uncle's, along with a slightly more updated version with some of the somewhat better advancements to the 8274 design. Either way, pretty cool.

The lower housing on my 8074 (date code 1974) and other 8274 (I think it's 1975) both have the extra protrusion.

For sure the 8074 doesn't have the 2 screws to retain the drum cover, I can't remember if the 8274 has it or not. I'll check the next time I dig it out of the garage.

Mine originally had the metal 4 pin connector but I replaced the plug socket with a 6 pin plastic one to be compatible with later model controller and wireless remotes. Yours is still riveted so I'm assuming that socket was original to that cover, but the cover itself might not be. I seem to remember that the covers changed at some point in the 80's when it went to a red decal and the molding was different, but my memory on that is a little fuzzy.

EDIT: Must read it here

1630515724481.png

Last edited:
Thanks for filling in some missing info. My guess is that Warn did a somewhat soft transition from the 8074 to the 8274 in 1974. Those first two years (near as I can tell) had the extra extension, then it seems to have disappeared. Same with the puck brakes and the slight changes to the ratchet pawl. I'd love to keep this research going to compile a better list of when different features were introduced to get people a little closer than just guessing at the last number of the date code. Proabably wouldn't be to tough, except for the fact that so many of these have been upgraded and repaired over the years. It's been pretty fun rebuilding these two. My uncle is going to buy the 1976 winch that is just a few serial numbers and six production days from the winch on his trail 40. He's got a nicer, restored original 40 next to it in the garage, so it'll be cool to have basically the same winch on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom