80 Series Expedition to Baja (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like with a group or not, I may try to go to see the Baja. That was my dream career when I was a kid, but never had the money to afford the equipment to get started. Now being close to retirement, I might actually get to see one! BTW, anyone see "Dust to Glory?" That was one awesome movie!

mason said:
Looks like with a group or not, I may try to go to see the Baja. That was my dream career when I was a kid, but never had the money to afford the equipment to get started. Now being close to retirement, I might actually get to see one! BTW, anyone see "Dust to Glory?" That was one awesome movie!

Yes, dust to glory rocked!

As for timing, the last couple of years in December and January have been pretty windy and a tad brisk (even for Mexico). June of this year was hot, but not unbearable.

I think we're looking at spring or fall for the next trip to baja.

As for equipment lists, there are several in a thread in Outfitting.

I've always had gread reception with a Globalstar sat phone, and wouldn't leave home for Mexico without it.

The ferry from Santa Rosalia to Guaymas will run you about $185 for just your vehicle, and another $75 for a cabin.

If you're worried about Laredo, just take the toll road up from Guaymas to Nogales and through to Tucson. The toll road misses virtually the entire boarder town of Nogales, and is easy!

Border violence is getting a lot of press lately. The solution....keep moving from these areas and into the more southern towns!

Don't worry about Baja, just get your insurance, your tourist permit if going into Baja Sur (Guerro Negro and South), and take your passport! GO!

-H-

This sounds like an awesome trip. I'd be up for it.

I am interested, hoping to go down next spring.

Vince

I'd be interested in putting together a contingent to come down through Larado and across at Guaymas if anyone’s interested. This route would be closer for a lot of people and I've been down that way a couple of times. It would be cool to meet up with the whole group coming down from California. We could also come across out by Big Bend - never been that way but the Davis Mountains would be a great addition and we wouldn't have to go through Larado. Any interest?

Tucker

I'd be up for a trip in the Spring.

Buck

Wow, this is starting to look like it could happen.
End of March or early April...Have to be at least a couple of weeks after LSLC's Roundup.

I could see making it. best thing to do is to get some dates down in pencil for planning time off etc... I think we could get 2-3 from the civiliaed East coast to make it.

My fall back if Baja falls through is to go to Moab instead.
Not sure if having the tenative dates the same as Moab is a good idea or not but that is what I am leaning to.
Any preferences one way or the other from anyone else thinking about Baja this spring?

I'm warming up to this trip and will be looking for more info as you get it.
Are you going to have a max number of vehicles?
I would be in for the longer time period. The trip to Cabo and back.
The only thing is that the dates may be in contention with Katemcy and Moab.

devo

I would love to work this out but I gotta go to the roundup.

A trip to Baja!? I'm in!!! will need to a timeline so that I can schedule it with the boss for timeoff.

Early spring would be cool. lets get something organize, maybe we could make this a yearly event.

Here are the options as I see them.
1. Late April so as not to conflict with Round up. ( I have to support my peeps) This does conflict with Moab but my club isn't sposoring Moab so I don't have to be there.
2. Early fall, say first week of september- Most of the wheeling events are in the spring / summer time frame so a fall trip would not conflict with anything. Hurricanes still could be an issue but I have some pretty good weather contacts via sat-comm and besides what is an adventure without a little uncertaintly and risk.
The more I think about it am maybe liking the fall idea better.
Any opinions or preferences.....

been to Baja quite a few times...any time of year is a good time to go, because it's a pretty big peninsula. the drive to Cabo is OK, but it loses its glory as soon as you get to La Paz. the east cape is pretty, but that means driving through La Paz and/or Cabo, depending on the route. I would be up for most any trip you guys are thinking about, some more concrete dates would be good. also, I would be up for a possible third group of guys/girls that surf (Sea of Cortez is pretty flat hahaha) and who want to see the famed spots of the Pacific side. any takers?

been down there quite a few times. Usually over Christmas vacations. Always staying most of the time on the gulf side (warmer).
Would love to meet cruiserheads down there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom