80 Series cooling fan install suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Threads
40
Messages
344
Location
San Jose CA
I have a 1997 40th. I installed the 1998 cooling fan. Not for overheating. I use the fan to help keep the AC cold when stuck in traffic.
Toyota part number 88590-60030.

1790130448620.webp


To run the fan. I set up a 12v relay and fuse connected to the battery directly. There is a fuse on the fan moter itself, and another on the low current side of the relay. I do not use a manual switch inside my rig.

To trigger the fan to run. I installed a Bi-metal thermostat switch on the condenser plumbing (passenger side). I use the thermostat switch to trigger the relay power to the fan.

431-301AA 1/2" Epoxy Sealed Thermostat - Pipe Mount (F) - Senasys - https://senasys.com/product/431-301aa-12-epoxy-sealed-thermostat-pipe-mount/
1790131752913.webp

There are multiple temperature options.

The AC condenser gets very warm when cooling the refrigerant. On really hot days, the cooling fan will run for for a few minutes just after I turn off the rig. Now that I am writing this message. I realize I should add a second relay that latches (on) when the rig is running and un-latches (off) when I turn off the ignition. This would stop the fan from running when the rig is off. Really simple install.

33592.webp
33594.webp
33586.webp
 
Thx.
I like it!
 
nice job dude, and I like your out of the box approach with the temp sensor. That gives me ideas for future projecdts. I installed two 12" fans for the same reason as you, and the vent temps during the 110+deg days in stop/go traffic is much better than before.
 
nice job dude, and I like your out of the box approach with the temp sensor. That gives me ideas for future projecdts. I installed two 12" fans for the same reason as you, and the vent temps during the 110+deg days in stop/go traffic is much better than before.
Thx,
I use a 3/8 version on my FJ62 to trigger my transmission cooler fan. Mounted on the output cooler pipe union at the transmission. Works very well. Really simple.
 
Thx,
I use a 3/8 version on my FJ62 to trigger my transmission cooler fan. Mounted on the output cooler pipe union at the transmission. Works very well. Really simple.
it turned out great, nice job amigo. I trigger my fans using a relay and the trinary switch.
 
I had to look up Trinary switch. Nice! Where did you put the switch?
 
I had to look up Trinary switch. Nice! Where did you put the switch?

It is already part of the Toyota A/C system, near the driver's headlight. There are unused pins that can be used to turn on a fan when A/C pressure goes over 192 psi. You just buy two small pigtails to add to the existing connector.
 
I had to look up Trinary switch. Nice! Where did you put the switch?
if you search on this forum, you'll see its location. It's right next to the battery, and the high pressure contacts are available for us to use. I think I did this mod 20 years ago by now, and it works a treat.
 
Thx. I was aware of the AC pressure switch and location. Did you replace the pressure switch with the trinary switch?
 
Thx. I was aware of the AC pressure switch and location. Did you replace the pressure switch with the trinary switch?
negative, it's factory mi amigo. :hillbilly:

Here are my fans, and they're uber quiet. Just a nice humm.

1790273153418.webp
 
OK. I understand now. You used the factory pressure switch.
Thx
 
yuppers, and we call that the "trinary" switch around here.
 
Back
Top Bottom