80 HD-T running too hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
My 80-series came from the previous owner with a turbo kit.
This is what I am getting (the EGT is Celsius degrees):

The EGT probe is mounted in the exhaust, after turbo.
In normal highway driving, not exceeding 120kph, the egt reads around 600-700 degrees C.
I am thinking of reverting it to stock because of the high EGTs the engine is experiencing.

What are the required parts that I should replace?
Should I get the kit off the car completely and sell it as it is, and replace it with a stock pump, turbine, and injectors
== OR ==
Replace the pump head / rebuild the pump and injectors and replace the turbo? (Do I need to replace the turbo?)

Thanks!

I would get an intercooler kit. Continue making power but have cooler temps.
I forgot to mention it in the initial post, and there is no way to edit it. The car was equipped with a pretty decent intercooler, oil cooler, and complete exhaust as part of the kit.
Some pics:
IMG_0726.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0731.jpeg

Why do you want to run that thing up to 160 kph? You’ll get a better sense of how hot you’re running by moving that probe to the center of the manifold, ahead of the turbo. Might need to dial back the fuel a bit. How much boost are you running? If your airbox is stock, it’ll be a problem above about 20 psi.

Why do you want to run that thing up to 160 kph? You’ll get a better sense of how hot you’re running by moving that probe to the center of the manifold, ahead of the turbo. Might need to dial back the fuel a bit. How much boost are you running? If your airbox is stock, it’ll be a problem above about 20 psi.
Not interested in running at 160kph, it was just a test. The previous owner did this power conversion. I don't really think that I want to drill another hole in the manifold. I have no idea what the boost pressure is, there is no gauge. I am not really into performance tuning, I prefer cars stock and reliable.
I am thinking of reverting it to stock, honestly. But it's very pricey with new parts, I really try to weigh my options and what parts need replacement (eg. is the turbo replacement necessary).

Not interested in running at 160kph, it was just a test. The previous owner did this power conversion. I don't really think that I want to drill another hole in the manifold. I have no idea what the boost pressure is, there is no gauge. I am not really into performance tuning, I prefer cars stock and reliable.
I am thinking of reverting it to stock, honestly. But it's very pricey with new parts, I really try to weigh my options and what parts need replacement (eg. is the turbo replacement necessary).

Drilling the stock manifold and running an egt is a good idea even on a stock rig.

If you're considering going back to stock I'd be shocked if you couldn't find someone willing to trade parts with you

If you're considering going back to stock I'd be shocked if you couldn't find someone willing to trade parts with you
If there is someone from Europe that is willing to trade parts, and his parts are in perfect condition, I will more than gladly trade with him to bring my rig back to stock form. I am also giving the hood with the scoop (very good condition, no rust or chips) for free to him (I already ordered a stock, uncut hood).

That is crazy, have you actually run one of these in stock configuration before? It literally feels like twice the power with more boost, and I don't even have an IC on mine. Stock or not, it's a 30-year-old rig so I wouldn't say you're going to increase reliability either way.

Definitely move the probe to a pre-turbo position so you can see what's really going on with your EGTs. Even if you swap turbos and remove IC to make it stock, you're likely to still have massive issues because the tune needs adjusted to match. For example, if it's currently fueled for added boost then going back to stock will result in a massively over-fueled condition: You will spew loads of black smoke and your EGTs will actually run HOTTER because of this.

The tune is EVERYTHING regardless of config (stock or modded). Find someone who knows what they're doing to help you tune it, or read all 50 pages of the 1HDT tuning mod to learn how to do this yourself like most of us have done. These videos were real helpful for me when I first started into how these things work:
Aneroid Pin
Compensator Spring

You need to know (and be able to control) your boost pressure. You’re going to go down a serious wormhole if you revert to the stock turbo. If your pump is tuned for added boost, then you’ll need to fiddle with the fueling to revert back to what’s adequate for stock boost. It’s not an easy task. As others have said, the truck will run cooler, and more efficiently with a newer turbo, added boost, and an appropriate time of the pump. Inter cooling is a must, whether you’ve increased the boost and fueling. These engines should’ve come from the factory with an intercooler. In stock tune, you can easily exceed what is considered a safe range for EGT.

The EGT probe is mounted in the exhaust, after turbo.
In normal highway driving, not exceeding 120kph, the egt reads around 600-700 degrees C
Too much fuel. Turn left fuel screw to 1/2 round

You need to know (and be able to control) your boost pressure. You’re going to go down a serious wormhole if you revert to the stock turbo. If your pump is tuned for added boost, then you’ll need to fiddle with the fueling to revert back to what’s adequate for stock boost. It’s not an easy task. As others have said, the truck will run cooler, and more efficiently with a newer turbo, added boost, and an appropriate time of the pump. Inter cooling is a must, whether you’ve increased the boost and fueling. These engines should’ve come from the factory with an intercooler. In stock tune, you can easily exceed what is considered a safe range for EGT.
nothing wrong with drilling another hole just stick a plug on the other one.

perhaps dial your fuel back a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom