8.25R16 tyre size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I have tracked down a good set of original 16" split rims for my 1974 FJ45. I am keen to get a tall skinny tyre around 33" for the improved highway gearing. It needs to be an all-terrain pattern, I don't do much hard core off-roading but plenty of dirt roads and fire trails. I am happy to consider a cheap chinese tyre as I don't do a lot of miles.

So I guess the options are:

1) 255/85/16: not many brands available, the major brands are really expensive. Just over 33" tall, 10" wide.

2) 8.25R16: I only just discovered this size. There seem to be quite a few options, including some cheap brands, lots of light truck patterns but some A/T patterns too. Size is just over 33.5" tall, 8.25" wide. These could be good???

Does anyone have any experiences with the 8.25R16? I don't have any suspension lift, but it's not sagging either. The current tyres are 32.5"x11.5" and they fit fine.

Here she is:
P1030370.jpg

8.25s are meant for light/medium trucks and I think they'd be too wide for the toyota split rims, which are 5.5 inches wide. 7.50 x 16s are around the 32 inch mark in diameter anyways.

8.25's are a killer tire...most run 34" tall and 9" wide...

i run currently 255/85r16...they are 33.3" tall and 10" wide....but they are radial

most 8.25's are bias...they wear quickly...here in the usa they are not easy to find in an agressive tread.

Thanks for the help guys. However I think the OEM split rims you guys have in the USA are different to ours in Australia. Ours are 16x5.5". I thought US versions may be 6.5" wide?

The 235/85/16 tyre is only about 31.8" tall.

I'd really like something around 33", so I guess I should probably fork out the extra cash for the 255/85/16. If not, I'll go for the 7.50R16

I'll ask my local tyre seller what he thinks of the 8.25R16.
Cheers.

.... If not, I'll go for the 7.50R16

I'll ask my local tyre seller what he thinks of the 8.25R16.
Cheers.

I run 7,50R16 on my 45 (most Landrover came with this tyres size too) and the two Landcruiser HJ75 I drove in Australia were also equipped with 7,50R16 on split rims.

Don`t think Toyota sold different split rim sizes, they had all the same size all over the globe ( pretty sure 120% ;))
Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
...I think the OEM split rims you guys have in the USA are different to ours in Australia. Ours are 16x5.5". I thought US versions may be 6.5" wide?

The only OEM split rims we get here in the US are on vehicles privately imported from Australia or other countries that use them regularly. Most people here are too stupid to not kill themselves with them. That said, mine are 5.5 inches wide.

Good Luck,
Dave

........Don`t think Toyota sold different split rim sizes, they had all the same size all over the globe ( pretty sure 120% ;))
Cheers Peter

No Sir, on our side of the "globe" here in sunny RSA Toyota supplied split rims in 15" for Toyota Hilux circa 1984 and the Toyota Stout, and 16" for Toyota Land Cruiser. They looked identical, but for the 1" size difference :D

Last edited:
No Sir, on our side of the "Globe" here in sunny RSA Toyota supplied split rims in 15" for Toyota Hilux, and 16" for Toyota Land Cruiser. They looked identical, but for the 1" size difference :D
:hmm:...
interesting in Europe the Hilux also came with 16 split rims
RSA means Republic of South Africa, right :D
Enjoy the FIFA.com - The Official Website of the FIFA World Cupâ„¢
next month Sir , will watch in on TV ;)
http://www.linguee.de/uebersetzung/deutsch/visited.htmlVisited "your neighbour" Namiba some years ago, nice part of the globe.
Cheers
Peter

Peter, yes our local Hiluxes also had 16" splits circa 87 or thereabouts. In circa 84 or thereabouts they had 15" splits, and as I say, identical in appearance but for the 1" difference. I'm no Hilux expert, but found this info on the rims out when I was looking for a full set of 16" splits for my fj40. Could not source them from the LC chaps, but found them easily from the Hilux chaps to my delight! Backset identical, so in effect, the Hilux used 16" LC rims.

Thanks for the well wishes on the soccer, Namibia, lovely place and superb for LC's :cheers:

Peter, yes our local Hiluxes also had 16" splits circa 87 or thereabouts. In circa 84 or thereabouts they had 15" splits, .... :cheers:
:D
In 1980 the Hilux had 16 split rims in Europe.
I`m absolutely sure because I thought about to buy one at this time.
( I studied all brochures Hilux , Landcruiser, Landrover even Mercedes G
I could get in 1979, but the G was too expencive for me at this time
- would not put more money in a car than 20 % of my deposite - ;)

Finally I bought my 43..... was the better choice ;)

Cheers
Peter

.....Finally I bought my 43..... was the better choice ;)

Cheers
Peter
A 1979 Landcruiser brochure, all Cruiser FJ55 included came with 16 split rims at this time, mine too.
toyotalandcruiser18GTU0.jpg

I borrowed my 16 split rims too a guy for an Africa trip and he sold them with his truck not gentleman like :frown:
- would not put more money in a car than 20 % of my deposite -

..... old school first earn the money then spend ;)

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
A 1979 Landcruiser brochure, all Cruiser FJ55 included came with 16 split rims at this time, mine too.
toyotalandcruiser18GTU0.jpg

I borrowed my 16 split rims too a guy for an Africa trip and he sold them with his truck not gentleman like :frown:

..... old school first earn the money than spend ;)

Cheers
Peter

Love those old photos, but are you sure that's 1979? I am pretty sure that the 1979's had square bezels? *(edit, just looked up the brochures in the archives, the square bezel first appeared in brochures in 1980)
I still have my 1980 stock 16" splits, but they are white/offwhite, and looking at them I think it might be the original color, they don't "look" resprayed, they have the same color and wear in and out, eventhough everywhere I read it says that they should be gray like in the pics above, any info on that?

Last edited:
I love IH8MUD!

Thanks JohnnyC:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom