7x series cost of ownership in USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I’ve worked towards the opportunity to buy a 70 series in the next few months, and I have a few questions that I’m hoping somebody here can answer!

1. if I pick up one from a RHD/JDM vehicle dealership and end up paying on it for a while, how hard is insurance to get for vehicles like this? I’d imagine since it’s being paid on monthly, it could make this a difficult (expensive?) task. This is my main question, and what will ultimately make my decision to buy one soon, or to wait a while.

2. I’ve read quite a bit about all of the engine offerings in the 70’s, and I’m not sure which engine I’d enjoy most. I’ve never owned a diesel before, but I’ve owned a dozen turbocharged cars. I think it would be really neat to hear a turbo spooling under the hood of a cruiser.

that’s all for now, if I think of more I’ll be sure to put them down!

1. Pretty easy. I go with Hagerty and it really is no different than insurance on than on my ‘92 Toyota Pickup. Maybe $100 a month, with $0 deductible? It also depends on how much you want to be insured for in the event of a total loss for. I think the harder part that people find is the registration piece.

2. I could be wrong but I don’t think any 70 series (minus the LN’s with the L series Hilux engines, and the later HD/VD engines) came with forced induction... There are 2H to 12T and HZ to 1HDT conversions out there that have already been done though. I think resoundingly, most people believe the naturally aspirated 1HZ is the “best” due to durability and parts availability (built to this day).

*edit* Until 1999* there was no forced induction (to my knowledge) outside of the 2L family prado's when they re-designated the 70's series #'s.

Last edited:
Would help if you said where you live. If you live in the US, are you planning on importing one yourself? Are you mechanically inclined? Turbo diesels and normally aspirated diesels will be quite a bit slower than what you might realize, of course a factory turbo diesel will be “faster” than a non-turbo diesel. I would consider buying from one of the importers on here as they do a good baseline maintenance before selling their rigs, this should give you confidence in reliability until you get yourself more informed. Have you driven any 70 series?

X2 on Hagerty. They will do a stated value policy on a JDM Cruiser and it's very inexpensive.
I have had a lot of non US market vehicles, I would steer clear of the regular insurance companies. They will say it is insured but in the event of a total loss, proving value is incredibly difficult and they are going to do everything in their power to depreciate the value of your vehicle as though it's a 25+ year old US Spec auto.
And, listen to @coldtaco , he knows what he is saying.Go drive one. It's a different animal getting into old off market 4X4s if you aren't familiar. Don't jump into one thinking it will be your primary transportation. At least not right away.

Turbo diesels and normally aspirated diesels will be quite a bit slower than what you might realize, of course a factory turbo diesel will be “faster” than a non-turbo diesel

As coldtaco mentioned, I personally opted for a 1FZ petrol engine... Haven't regretted it one bit so far.

Also, the irony with the RHD/JDM being a more "rare and exotic" vehicle in the US is that I have found it easier to find parts etc than a LHD one.

What body style do you want?

short wheel base ? Hard top? Soft top?
Medium wheel base? Soft top? FRP top?
pickup?
Long wheel base troopy?
4 door?

that can determine available engine type.

1HZ is a great engine.

Once you decide what body style, that really narrows down engine choice.

I rebuilt my 13bt which is a fairly rare engine, and found every part i needed, shipped overseas usually within 3-4 days.

Would help if you said where you live. If you live in the US, are you planning on importing one yourself? Are you mechanically inclined? Turbo diesels and normally aspirated diesels will be quite a bit slower than what you might realize, of course a factory turbo diesel will be “faster” than a non-turbo diesel. I would consider buying from one of the importers on here as they do a good baseline maintenance before selling their rigs, this should give you confidence in reliability until you get yourself more informed. Have you driven any 70 series?

Of course, wrote the thread when I was half asleep lol

I’m in Eastern USA. Tennessee to be exact. And yes I plan to buy one from an importer as I’ve heard importing one yourself is a daunting task.

I’ve never driven a diesel cruiser, but I’ve ridden in a turbo diesel Hilux surf. I know it’s not going to be fast, I don’t expect it to be! I am mechanically inclined and always work on my own vehicles.

Really the only 3 things I really would like to have are short wheelbase, manual transmission, and diesel.

@CGreene .... “Really the only 3 things I really would like to have are short wheelbase, manual transmission, and diesel.”
————————————————————————————————————————
Ultimately your decision but you may not want to overlook the MWB.
Diesel 70 Series are “lifestyle” vehicles as in “go slow and enjoy life” vehicles. :)

Ultimately your decision but you may not want to overlook the MWB. Diesel 70 Series are “lifestyle” vehicles as in “go slow and enjoy life” vehicles. :) [/QUOTE said:
Of course! I’ve looked into them all, but something about the SWB models really interests me! And yes that’s why I’d like to experience ownership of one of these beasts.

Assuming COVID 19 doesn’t alter our plans and you haven’t already bought one by then, there will be a sizable cross section of 70 Series almost in your backyard in September.

I see you're from east Tn. We lived there twenty+years and loved it and although we relocated to the U.P. in northern Mich. we will always be Tennesseans. I got my first 70 series 32 years ago, a left hand drive BJ70. Since then I have personaly owned 11 different models in search of the perfect landcruiser. I can tell you the perfect one does not exist. Each model has it's strengths and weaknesses....same goes for the engines. I would also point out it's useless for you to study the merits of each engine untill you decide on a model because as a general rule each model was engine specific. First decision you need to make is light duty or heavy duty. Main difference here is suspension and engine. Don't be mislead by the light duty label tho because the light duty is still landcruiser tough and will take you anywhere the heavy duty will. Light dutys are the LJ models and can be had in short, medium and long whellbase. heavy duty are all the rest.....BJ, HJ, PZJ ETC. ETc. If you want a daily-driver that is comfortable, economical to operate, and will take you about anywhere in the woods....then one of the LJ's would be best. If on the other hand you plan on crossing the kalihari desert with 1000 lb. of spare parts and tools,food for two months, camping gear, etc. then one of the heavy duty cruisers is what you need. Big drawback to the heavy's is the ride. they almost all have leaf springs and will shake the fillings out of your teeth on a rough road!! They were designed to carry heavy loads over rough country. Light dutys have coil suspension at all for corners very similar to the 80 series. The ride is much like the 80 for comparison. They are more comfortable but are not meant as a work vehicle. LJ's all come with some variant of the 2LT engine or the 22R gasser. All the heavys came with various diesel and gas engines, with widely differing attributes and faults. Stay away from the early 2LT......they had head issues. I've had a few of these and thay are ok if properly serviced FROM NEW but most weren't. the latter 2LTII and KZ variants are much better. Insurance has never been a problem for me either in Mi. or Tn. and registration is no problem either. Parts generaly are not an issue either other than the fact that you can't go to Jugheads junk yard and find anything. I know this will piss a lot of folks off but I call em the way I see em. DO NOT BUY A RIGHT HAND DRIVE VEHICLE . They are fine in the woods and backcountry roads but in traffic and on the highway are a definate hazard!! I've had them and I know what I'm talking about. Be very very carefull out there.....lots of junk for sale ....wrong mileage.......patched up junk.......patched up wrecks......and just plain wore out! BUYER BEWARE Do not buy a repainted cruiser ....unless.... the seller can provide you with detailed photos of the before. Never trust the odometer on one of these unless there is paperwork to back up the readings.....NO MATTER who you're buying from.
If you're really serious about buying a 70 why don't you come up for a couple of days and you can drive a heavy-duty and a light-duty in the woods and on the highway and know for sure what you really want before throwing 20 grand down the tube. We have a cabin here you can stay in and all you'll be out is your travel expenses and in the long run it might save you from making some of the huge expensive mistakes I'v made over the years. Offer stands.

I see you're from east Tn. We lived there twenty+years and loved it and although we relocated to the U.P. in northern Mich. we will always be Tennesseans. I got my first 70 series 32 years ago, a left hand drive BJ70. Since then I have personaly owned 11 different models in search of the perfect landcruiser. I can tell you the perfect one does not exist. Each model has it's strengths and weaknesses....same goes for the engines. I would also point out it's useless for you to study the merits of each engine untill you decide on a model because as a general rule each model was engine specific. First decision you need to make is light duty or heavy duty. Main difference here is suspension and engine. Don't be mislead by the light duty label tho because the light duty is still landcruiser tough and will take you anywhere the heavy duty will. Light dutys are the LJ models and can be had in short, medium and long whellbase. heavy duty are all the rest.....BJ, HJ, PZJ ETC. ETc. If you want a daily-driver that is comfortable, economical to operate, and will take you about anywhere in the woods....then one of the LJ's would be best. If on the other hand you plan on crossing the kalihari desert with 1000 lb. of spare parts and tools,food for two months, camping gear, etc. then one of the heavy duty cruisers is what you need. Big drawback to the heavy's is the ride. they almost all have leaf springs and will shake the fillings out of your teeth on a rough road!! They were designed to carry heavy loads over rough country. Light dutys have coil suspension at all for corners very similar to the 80 series. The ride is much like the 80 for comparison. They are more comfortable but are not meant as a work vehicle. LJ's all come with some variant of the 2LT engine or the 22R gasser. All the heavys came with various diesel and gas engines, with widely differing attributes and faults. Stay away from the early 2LT......they had head issues. I've had a few of these and thay are ok if properly serviced FROM NEW but most weren't. the latter 2LTII and KZ variants are much better. Insurance has never been a problem for me either in Mi. or Tn. and registration is no problem either. Parts generaly are not an issue either other than the fact that you can't go to Jugheads junk yard and find anything. I know this will piss a lot of folks off but I call em the way I see em. DO NOT BUY A RIGHT HAND DRIVE VEHICLE . They are fine in the woods and backcountry roads but in traffic and on the highway are a definate hazard!! I've had them and I know what I'm talking about. Be very very carefull out there.....lots of junk for sale ....wrong mileage.......patched up junk.......patched up wrecks......and just plain wore out! BUYER BEWARE Do not buy a repainted cruiser ....unless.... the seller can provide you with detailed photos of the before. Never trust the odometer on one of these unless there is paperwork to back up the readings.....NO MATTER who you're buying from.
If you're really serious about buying a 70 why don't you come up for a couple of days and you can drive a heavy-duty and a light-duty in the woods and on the highway and know for sure what you really want before throwing 20 grand down the tube. We have a cabin here you can stay in and all you'll be out is your travel expenses and in the long run it might save you from making some of the huge expensive mistakes I'v made over the years. Offer stands.

I greatly appreciate all of this useful information! I knew there had to be somebody in or from TN with experience with these rigs. I’ll mainly be using the cruiser as a “pleasure” vehicle. I’m a big time outdoorsman so I really enjoy being able to carry all of my gear and things with me out into the woods.

As for the offer to come visit; that’s an incredible offer! Wish I had made this thread a week ago because today my vacation just ended. I’d have come up there in a heartbeat to stay in a cabin and drive some cruisers. I’ll keep this offer in mind as I continue my search.

I am planning to drive to Duncan imports to check out a 70 they have in stock. I’m waiting for a return email as we speak with a walk-around video before I make the trip.

*EDIT*

Steve, do the LHD models demand a premium over the RHD models? I wouldn’t mind either way, considering it won’t be a main mode of transportation. I’ve driven RHD sports cars, but never a rig.

Last edited:
As a general rule left hand drive does bring a premium but I think it's well worth it. Not only are they safer and more fun to drive but if you ever sell it right hand drive can be the kiss of death. Only reason I ever owned a cruiser was to get me where I needed to go for my huntin and fishin passion, but once in my old BJ70 it was so much fun just getting there it became my daily driver.....,.been that way ever since but now I'm in an LJ73. Been down the right-hand drive rabbit hole twice and never want another one. Feel the same way about the 24 volt models. they can be a hassel when something goes wrong.........and it always does eventually. Why don't you take a friday off, get a round-trip ticket, fly into Marquette,I'll pick you up and you can be back home by Monday. Besides we live in the backwoods right on the hemlock rapids of the paint river.....once you see it you're gonna want to come back!

Counter point:
Yes, LHD is more “user friendly” in the U.S. I don’t think there’s any argument there.
However I would place my emphasis on finding the best Cruiser I could find (condition, mileage, accessories etc.)
and let the steering wheel chips fall where they may. I’ve driven both for years and I wouldn’t let steering wheel placement be the determining factor. My .02 worth.

**Yes, I’ve heard the argument about how challenging it is to pass someone in a RHD Land Cruiser. I counter by saying it’s challenging to pass someone in a diesel Land Cruiser regardless of where the steering wheel is located.
:)

Last edited:
Counter point:
Yes, LHD is more “user friendly” in the U.S. I don’t think there’s any argument there.
However I would place my emphasis on finding the best Cruiser I could find (condition, mileage, accessories etc.)
and let the steering wheel chips fall where they may. I’ve driven both for years and I wouldn’t let steering wheel placement be the determining factor. My .02 worth.

**Yes, I’ve heard the argument about how challenging it is to pass someone in a RHD Land Cruiser. I counter by saying it’s challenging to pass someone in a diesel Land Cruiser regardless of where the steering wheel is located.
:)

I enjoyed driving my friends Silvia, it was kind of difficult to get used to when passing but I got used to it pretty easily. Seeing as how I’ll have a daily, I won’t be worried much about which side the wheel is on. I’m just excited to actually start shopping for a 70!

2. I could be wrong but I don’t think any 70 series (minus the LN’s with the L series Hilux engines, and the later HD/VD engines) came with forced induction... There are 2H to 12T and HZ to 1HDT conversions out there that have already been done though. I think resoundingly, most people believe the naturally aspirated 1HZ is the “best” due to durability and parts availability (built to this day).

*edit* Until 1999* there was no forced induction (to my knowledge) outside of the 2L family prado's when they re-designated the 70's series #'s.

You are incorrect.

The 13B-T engine was used in MWB heavy duty 7x vehicles through 12/1989.

Besides the L/KZ/KD family engines, there were no 7x’s with turbos until the HDJ79/HDJ78’s in the early 2000’s for the AUS market with the 1HD-FTE.

And then finally the introduction of the 1VD-FTV in 2007.

I have owned both LHD and RHD 70 series. Honestly it makes no difference to me now. I get that some people are anti-RHD but It is your money and decision to make.

Hey Gunrunner 5, your first sentence says it all. And I don't disagree with you on finding the best one, but when you're fixin' to drop 10 to 25 grand why not look for the best one with the steering wheel on the left side. They are out there.....just not as easy to find. If you want the new experience of passing someone in a diesel powered cruiser you need to come to the u.p. and drive the wifes LJ73 with the 2LTII and 5-speed. Pretty dogone peppy .toyota could have sold them in the U.S. instead of the FJcruiser and folks would have been lined up to get one. She passes log trucks and HZJ79s all the time!!!

Hey Gunrunner 5, your first sentence says it all. And I don't disagree with you on finding the best one, but when you're fixin' to drop 10 to 25 grand why not look for the best one with the steering wheel on the left side. They are out there.....just not as easy to find. If you want the new experience of passing someone in a diesel powered cruiser you need to come to the u.p. and drive the wifes LJ73 with the 2LTII and 5-speed. Pretty dogone peppy .toyota could have sold them in the U.S. instead of the FJcruiser and folks would have been lined up to get one. She passes log trucks and HZJ79s all the time!!!
In an effort to not further hijack this gentleman's thread we'll save this conversation for some point in the future.

Also,

I suppose I should have given you my intended budget. I’d like to spend 15k or less for one. Does that change anything specifically for me when looking for specific models? I’m glad places like this forum exist because it’s full of helpful people who know what they’re talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom